Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> SubCenter Console, finally realized
nsr-jamie
post Sep 14 2009, 06:47 AM
Post #21

914 guy in Japan

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,305
Region Association: None

Wow! Those subs from Roadglue there cost more than my entire car (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) Serious (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Sep 14 2009, 10:25 AM
Post #22

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

Very nice Mark! When you're my age and your car finally runs, it will have some great innovations!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)
+Quote Post
detoxcowboy
post Sep 14 2009, 10:50 AM
Post #23

Member No.: 8,642
Region Association: Africa

QUOTE(Spoke @ Sep 10 2009, 08:01 PM) *

The console looks nice. I made one similarly out of plywood however. I decided not to put a sub in it because I thought the sub might damage the gauges, especially the clock.

Do you think the sub will interfere with the clock?

The magnetism will not bother any gauges whatsoever, i have customed even closer than the example here does not affect anygauges.. they would have to be touching for the magnet to affect and even then maybe.. the box here does look thick, great for sound. but i found that the thickeness along with the taper angle will affect your foot area at the gas pedal alarmingly so and i have regular feet size 9 and regular tennis shoes.. even what complicates it further is speaker selection as you need mounting depth for good speakers but that affect the taper again and grill desighn protrusion also affect your foot space again, IN my honest opinion this work is best done by the owner of the speakers and feet, you could spend $$$ on a box then only be able to where driving shoes and use shitty speakers etc.. ect,, looks good in pics though, but when all is said and done it can be trickier than just making a good looking box, also an 8 or 10 inch sub will take more than 8 or 10inches mounted allow for the frame of said speaker and it varies by manufacter.. good work though, and all that considered it is labor intensive and if your off or your work shoes are big then you just kinda screwed yourself for hopefully good bass not the kind that sound like someone pounding out of their coffin...
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Sep 14 2009, 10:58 AM
Post #24

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(detoxcowboy @ Sep 14 2009, 08:50 AM) *

The console looks nice. I made one similarly out of plywood however. I decided not to put a sub in it because I thought the sub might damage the gauges, especially the clock.

The magnetism will not bother any gauges whatsoever, i have customed even closer than the example here does not affect anygauges.. they would have to be touching for the magnet to affect and even then maybe.. the box here does look thick, great for sound. but i found that the thickeness along with the taper angle will affect your foot area at the gas pedal alarmingly so and i have regular feet size 9 and regular tennis shoes.. even what complicates it further is speaker selection as you need mounting depth for good speakers but that affect the taper again and grill desighn protrusion also affect your foot space again, IN my honest opinion this work is best done by the owner of the speakers and feet, you could spend $$$ on a box then only be able to where driving shoes and use shitty speakers etc.. ect,, looks good in pics though, but when all is said and done it can be trickier than just making a good looking box, also an 8 or 10 inch sub will take more than 8 or 10inches mounted allow for the frame of said speaker and it varies by manufacter.. good work though, and all that considered it is labor intensive and if your off or your work shoes are big then you just kinda screwed yourself for hopefully good bass not the kind that sound like someone pounding out of their coffin...

Don't worry. Marky knows what he is doing. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

I just got off the phone with McMark who pointed out that my post said Marky knows what he is going and not what he is doing. As a penalty, I am turning in my PhD for a two day suspension. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (I am off work anyway).
+Quote Post
McMark
post Sep 14 2009, 12:20 PM
Post #25

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419

Wow. I'll try to keep my sarcasm under control.

1. I know the center console makes foot space tight. Were you astute enough to notice the scratches on the side from where my foot hit when I test fit it?
2. Mounting depth is not an issue, as mentioned earlier in this thread. The shallow 8" sub has a mounting depth of 2.5". I've used them before and know, for a fact, that they sound great to my ears. And my ears are the only ones I care about.
3. The grill will protrude to the passenger side. I thought this was obvious, but apparently it's not.
4. I know the frame of the speaker is bigger than the cone. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

5. I can't believe you just implied that I'm dumb enough to let a speaker box KILL ME! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif)

This isn't the first time I've built something custom. This isn't the first time I've been in a 914. Thanks for the worthless comment.
+Quote Post
Sleepin
post Sep 14 2009, 12:31 PM
Post #26

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,357
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(Rod @ Sep 14 2009, 02:19 AM) *

I wanted a sub in mine but didn't want a centre console. I tried behind the seats, but there's just not enough space (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) So I took the passenger footrest, made a mould of it and then fitted a 8" sub up under the dash. From outside you wouldn't know there is a sub there and it sounds (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smoke.gif)

(IMG:http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h106/rodericdavies/IMG_0112.jpg)
(IMG:http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h106/rodericdavies/IMG_3627.jpg)

That is nice Rod! That has motivated me to attempt something like your idea!
+Quote Post
Rod
post Sep 14 2009, 02:39 PM
Post #27

Member No.: 8,526
Region Association: England

QUOTE(Sleepin @ Sep 14 2009, 07:31 PM) *

That is nice Rod! That has motivated me to attempt something like your idea!

Thankyou (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) If you want any advice or pointers just ask. The whole system can be seen over on a UK Forum here.
+Quote Post
East coaster
post Sep 15 2009, 05:14 AM
Post #28

Member No.: 487

'Nuther...
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Sep 15 2009, 11:01 AM
Post #29

Jerry

Member No.: 3,031

QUOTE(detoxcowboy @ Sep 14 2009, 12:50 PM) *

The magnetism will not bother any gauges whatsoever

I was thinking more of the vibration from the sub. Those old VDO clocks have very fragile plastic gears which tend to snap their axle pins and stop working.
+Quote Post
alex914
post Sep 17 2009, 08:11 PM
Post #30

Member No.: 7,861

Consider one pre-ordered for me!

QUOTE(McMark @ Sep 13 2009, 09:49 PM) *

QUOTE(alex914 @ Sep 13 2009, 12:08 PM) *
That is very nice. Are you going to cover it in stock looking vinyl?
Yep. Stock look, all the way.

QUOTE(jeeperjohn56 @ Sep 13 2009, 12:49 PM) *

Hey Mark , that looks great, what is the size hole for the gauges? Ineed to make a new panel for four gauges. Remember we added a cht gauge. Also what would you wire the light to, I'm guessing thats what the extra wire is on the gauge that didn't get hooked up is for the cht gauge? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) John

The holes are stock size. He can make any size I ask though.

QUOTE(PH1 @ Sep 13 2009, 08:18 PM) *
Anyone made one of these for A/C cars?

Not that I know of, but if your interested, let me know and we can talk.

+Quote Post
RJMII
post Sep 17 2009, 08:32 PM
Post #31

Jim McIntosh

Member No.: 8,112

Mark,

would one of these fit in your new Vacuum bagging setup? If you were to glass one instead of MDF"in' it... ?
+Quote Post
detoxcowboy
post Sep 17 2009, 11:44 PM
Post #32

Member No.: 8,642
Region Association: Africa

QUOTE(McMark @ Sep 14 2009, 11:20 AM) *

Wow. I'll try to keep my sarcasm under control.

1. I know the center console makes foot space tight. Were you astute enough to notice the scratches on the side from where my foot hit when I test fit it?
2. Mounting depth is not an issue, as mentioned earlier in this thread. The shallow 8" sub has a mounting depth of 2.5". I've used them before and know, for a fact, that they sound great to my ears. And my ears are the only ones I care about.
3. The grill will protrude to the passenger side. I thought this was obvious, but apparently it's not.
4. I know the frame of the speaker is bigger than the cone. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

5. I can't believe you just implied that I'm dumb enough to let a speaker box KILL ME! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif)

This isn't the first time I've built something custom. This isn't the first time I've been in a 914. Thanks for the worthless comment.

sorry dude, did not intend to hurt your feelings and was not bashing your desighn... or assuming your anything, in fact to my error i was not even thinking of you or your 914 experience, i was only commenting on the troubles of making such speaker boxes. don't take it so personal. I apologize and will not comment where you tread .. peace out.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th May 2024 - 03:13 PM