Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cool September Days moving?, and other complaints
biosurfer1
post Sep 20 2009, 11:42 PM
Post #1

Teener fo Life!

Group: Members
Member No.: 977
Region Association: Northern California

So we have people complaining about Rob updating the thread at least once a day...people complaining about the WCR being the same weekend as RRC...and now people complaining that we are going to be "lost" in another car show that may or may not be at the same place now.

Did anyone find out yesterday if Cool September Days is moving for sure or is it just a possibility?

Maybe just to shut some people up, Rob might want to think about updating the thread once a week?

I know we can't please everyone and maybe its just a vocal minority, but its putting a damper on an event still about a year away (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Thoughts?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
McMark
post Sep 21 2009, 01:01 PM
Post #2

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419
Region Association: None

Is the cool Sept days the only reason we're picking that weekend? I know there are quite a few people who are pissed about us getting on the RRC date. I would vote to look into possible date alternatives just for the good PR. It's a PITA, but it might be worth it.
+Quote Post
jcd914
post Sep 21 2009, 02:21 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,684

I see it as a vocal minority.

The driving force for the specific data was Cool September Nights(CSN) and it is very unfortunate that it falls on the traditional RRC dates but I think it will make WRC2010 a better event. The effort and CO$T required to arrange the site and space we are being given access to as part of CSN will be significant if we choose to go it alone. Correct me if I am wrong but we are paying nothing for the site except possibly the auto cross and PCA will get that bill. We are not negotiating with any hotels for discounts or contracting for rooms but we will get the discounted rate Tom has negotiated. We are not paying entry fees to CSN unless individuals want to join there show and be judged by them.
As for getting lost, we will be getting a section of the lot to ourselves and with the Autocross added in I think there are going to be CSN participants that are going to feel slighted.
After talking with my brother in law, his understanding is only reason CSN would move is if the county forces the Horizon owner to tear down the Horizon and build new instead of just refurbishing it. Larry (the bother in law) has been attending this car show for over a decade and knows Tom the CSN organizer pretty well. Tom has already arranged for an alternate site just in case and presumably we are included at the new site as well.

Jim

+Quote Post
biosurfer1
post Sep 21 2009, 03:40 PM
Post #4

Teener fo Life!

Maybe I heard wrong but I thought Paul had already talked with the Horizon and got a reduced room rate, blocked off area for parking/events, and section of rooms reserved before there was any talk about CSN, it just had to be before Memorial day or after Labor Day.

I didn't think there was a cost for that, they just wanted to rooms to be taken.
+Quote Post
RoadGlue
post Sep 21 2009, 04:31 PM
Post #5

Sonoma County Gear Head

Group: Admin
Member No.: 108

Has anyone read the reviews for the Horizon? Looks dumpy and I really wonder how many people are going to want to stay in a hotel that may be slated for demolition. Either way, sounds like it really needs renovating. I vote we look into a different venue.

Trip Advisor Reviews for the Horizon:
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g4...ine_Nevada.html
+Quote Post
biosurfer1
post Sep 21 2009, 05:03 PM
Post #6

Teener fo Life!

It was my understanding, Randy, that the only link to the Horizon was where we would park, mingle and hopefully put on the autocross.

Paul did contact them about room rates and they were going to set aside a group of rooms for us, but no commitment was needed. Anyone is welcome to stay where they like.

I personally have stayed at Horizon and while I prefer a different place, I didn't think Horizon was that bad..then again I was young and "cheap" was the driving factor back then.

Luckily, any place you stay in South Shore is within 2 blocks of where the event is happening. The reason Horizon works so well is they have a large back parking lot that is pretty flat and open. They also have a parking garage so us using the lot would not be a big deal for them.
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Sep 21 2009, 05:18 PM
Post #7

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380

As best as we can tell, the Horizon is the only venue at Tahoe that we can have an autocross. They have had them in the past and they will allow them in the future. None of the other venues I have talked to would even consider closing a lot for us.

I am not sure the hotels revues are relevant since there are three other hotels towering over it for people who are concerned about such things. Harvey's, Harrah's and one other.

Tom Argo and his Cool September Days event has 24 years of history at the Horizon. I suspect that gives him a large negotiating advantage we don't have. Plus his event enhances ours. The relationship is symbiotic. Greater than either would be by themselves.

Finally, why is this just being brought up now? The dates were announced almost two months ago. Only one person even mentioned it. Now, after they all stood around a parking lot drinking they decide to publicly challenge everything we have planned thus far??? I would be far more inclined to even consider their objection if it had been timely and appropriate. That being at the time of our initial announcement and privately instead of in a public attack.
+Quote Post
biosurfer1
post Sep 21 2009, 05:26 PM
Post #8

Teener fo Life!

I just found out the RRC was the same weekend within the last two weeks. I have never gone, but I think the people who like to go to both are the main ones upset.

I knew having it in Tahoe would bring more guys from AZ/CO/ etc since its a much closer drive than Irvine, Portland, Seattle. Just something we didn't consider.

They probably didn't bring it earlier because a.they assumed its in Spring and b.its more than a year away and wern't paying attention.
+Quote Post
McMark
post Sep 21 2009, 06:30 PM
Post #9

914 Freak!

My motivation for when this event happens is not the color of the trees, it's not the number of hot rods in the parking lot with us, and it's not whether or not there's racing.

Even though those things ARE good things to have, my number one motivation is that 914World people are generally happy with the event. Right now we have a significant group of people with a valid complaint and we have no concrete reason (that I've heard) to ignore them. So we look like the bad guys.

Why is this coming up now? Because it is. I'm more concerned with what's the problem and is it valid, than WHY it's coming up now. Would it have been better if it came up earlier? Yes. Does that make a difference? No.

As far as I know, nothing has been booked or otherwise locked in stone. So what's keeping us from looking at other dates?

And finally, as I mentioned in a PM to Rob, I'm perfectly willing to step back from planning if I'm 'rocking the boat'. I've got no ego in this, and I would have no ill will towards anyone. I'm not trying to be melodramatic, I want the best event possible, and if me not being involved makes the event go more smoothly, then that's what I want.
+Quote Post
biosurfer1
post Sep 21 2009, 09:56 PM
Post #10

Teener fo Life!

Rob,

How about instead of posting replies to everyone complaining in the WCR thread, we simply say we will schedule a meeting to go over options and come to a consensus as a group and then post what we decide.

I'm getting a little tired of the committee being made to look like dicks when most of us haven't had a say in any of the replies so far.

This, in my opinion, is why we have a private forum, so crap doesn't clog up the Garage.
+Quote Post
jcd914
post Sep 22 2009, 10:39 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,684

I don't think it is necessary or desirable for anyone to step away from the planning committee, I think we have a good group. Although after this sudden and vicious attack on our event I would not blame anyone for excusing themselves.
I plan to make a post to one or both of the public threads latter today so Rob does not look like he is alone in this.

I think it would be smart to have a meeting and discuss where we go from here. I like the idea of being part of the Cool September Days event but I do think we should look at our options. What does the CSN event give us that we can't do on our own or would be too much work to do on our own? What would the impact be to both WCR and RRC if we stick with our dates?

I never understood any event to have a lock on any dates but then I am a relative newby to World. I also never took the few expressed concerns over the date as an issue, we will never please everyone. By nature I tend to have a knee jerk reaction to people that react suddenly and poorly, I dig my heels in and get very stubborn (not always with good results).

We did not so much pick a date as decide it was a good idea to piggy back with an existing event that had a set date.

Obviously we need to have a discussion and come to a consensus or the event will suffer.

My $.02
Jim

+Quote Post
McMark
post Sep 22 2009, 12:23 PM
Post #12

914 Freak!

We certainly need to come to a consensus and present a united response. We're not gaining ground, support or respect by the way it's going now. All the RRC people want is to feel like we're not the 'big guy' shitting on their event. Ideally we could all just clear the slate and invite the RRC guys over to work out a compromise.

This fight is WAY bigger than it needs to be.
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Sep 22 2009, 01:59 PM
Post #13

Apex killer!

The threads should have been shut down and the RRC people encouraged to contact us privately.

At this point, I will be contacting PCA and apologizing for wasting their time. I am out.
+Quote Post
McMark
post Sep 22 2009, 02:22 PM
Post #14

914 Freak!

Too bad. It got way blown out of proportion.

So to the rest of the people who are still committed to this, are we going to be able to pull it off?
+Quote Post
McMark
post Sep 22 2009, 02:22 PM
Post #15

914 Freak!

Too bad. It got way blown out of proportion.

So to the rest of the people who are still committed to this, are we going to be able to pull it off?
+Quote Post
RoadGlue
post Sep 22 2009, 02:40 PM
Post #16

Sonoma County Gear Head

Group: Admin
Member No.: 108

Mark - PM'ing you.
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Sep 22 2009, 02:41 PM
Post #17

Apex killer!

What is really amazing is the request by both Paul and me to shut down the threads is being ignored. Now Rusty is getting into the bashing posting a thread announcing the dates for MUSR as the same as the RRC and WCR. Actually, now that I think about it, I expect that kind of crap from Rusty.

This isn't about egos. I have influence and credibility with PCA that I risk by pushing this event.
+Quote Post
biosurfer1
post Sep 22 2009, 02:41 PM
Post #18

Teener fo Life!

If we keep the current dates, I am out since I have a wedding to be in that weekend and doesn't look like I can make it.

If the dates are changed, I would be happy to continue to help plan things with the understanding that any futures concerns, questions or complaints from other board members are acknowledged, discussed here first, and then responded to wherever they came from.

Whatever works for me...I certainly don't want to get attacked like Rob but I think that could have easily been avoided.
+Quote Post
McMark
post Sep 22 2009, 03:51 PM
Post #19

914 Freak!

The threads are shut down now.
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Sep 22 2009, 05:59 PM
Post #20

Apex killer!

QUOTE(McMark @ Sep 22 2009, 01:51 PM) *

The threads are shut down now.

All except the bogus ramble announcements all on the same dates. Really too little too late and the participation of Gint and Andy was just too much frosting for my taste.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th May 2024 - 03:25 PM