Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Diesel conversion - transmission options
type11969
post Sep 26 2009, 10:43 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,410
Region Association: North East States

Mulling over a tdi swap into my 914 while I should be working on dynamics HW . . . One big hurdle seems to be the transmission. 914 tranny isn't geared for a diesel and it would be expensive to re-gear it (if even possible). What other options are available? Seems like it would be convenient to use a VAG diesel tranny that was already set up for the tdi engine . . . but most are front engine front wheel drive. Anyone know of any VAG front engine RWD cars using a tdi engine? Old Audi, perhaps? I suppose a diesel Vanagon tranny might work but my guess is the gearing wouldn't be great in that either.

Other options? Linkage I figure I would do with cables.

Thanks,

Chris
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
johannes
post Sep 26 2009, 12:30 PM
Post #2

Club Porsche 914 France President

Member No.: 5,409
Region Association: France

Is this a joke ?
+Quote Post
Gary
post Sep 26 2009, 12:46 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 134
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Pretty healthy discussion here: TDI thread. Looks like pre-B6 passat (longitudinal), O1E audi, or boxster trannys are all possible.
+Quote Post
RJMII
post Sep 26 2009, 02:41 PM
Post #4

Jim McIntosh

Member No.: 8,112
Region Association: None

I'd do it... 200 hp and 300lbs/ft of torque, and the radiator stays in the engine bay.... and not as much cutting up of the rear trunk.

oh, and 65mpg with that?
+Quote Post
rohar
post Sep 26 2009, 02:53 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 9,685
Region Association: None

QUOTE(RJMII @ Sep 26 2009, 01:41 PM) *

I'd do it... 200 hp and 300lbs/ft of torque, and the radiator stays in the engine bay.... and not as much cutting up of the rear trunk.

oh, and 65mpg with that?

Hmm, I'm about to put a turbo 2.0 16v vw engine in the teener (engine install is scheduled for winter). The block is similar enough to the TDI block so your comment intrigued me. When I had it mounted in the last chassis, I didn't have to cut any sheet metal in the rear, I did have to fab a couple of water flanges to make that happen, It was close.

How would you mount the radiator in the engine bay? Last time, I put a big old hole in the nose and mounted it up front as everyone does.
+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post Sep 26 2009, 03:27 PM
Post #6

Cap'n Krusty

Member No.: 2,246
Region Association: Central California

An Audi or Passat diesel tranny would be fine, but you'd need to fab a cable shifter. There haven't been any RWD Audis in decades, if there ever were any. As Vanagons were RWD with the engine in the rear, the tranny turns backwards in a mid-engine application, so that's out.

The Cap'n
+Quote Post
type11969
post Sep 28 2009, 09:47 AM
Post #7

Nope, no joke. I've been intrigued by the tdi engine for a long time. Thought about getting any one of the tdi powered vehicles but I have enough cars already. Figured the 914 needs an engine once I am done and the tdi would definitely be something different.

Thanks for the link, all good info. I'll post over there to see if any progress has been made.

I forgot that Audis/passats were set up longitudinal but still fwd, those would be the trannies I would be looking for. Vanagon definitely wouldn't be that desirable regardless but can't you flip the R&P? I would think that the sandrail guys that run mid-engine setups might do this but maybe they move past the bus trannies at that point.

Thanks,

Chris
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Sep 28 2009, 10:16 AM
Post #8

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435

Why not take the 2056 out of the bug and put the TDI in the bug? That way you could use a Vanagon trans w/o much difficulty.

And it would get the 914 that much closer to being done.

Zach
+Quote Post
type11969
post Sep 28 2009, 10:22 AM
Post #9

Really the tdi should go in the bus but I didn't want the bus off the road for so long.

I'm pretty sure the tdi or any VAG inline 4 won't fit in the Beetle engine compartment without some hacking to the engine lid. But that is a good point I'll look in to. Unfortunately it is only a 1.8 that I have in the Beetle.

I have an engine to put in the 914, a 1.7 that it came with that I would use until I've obtained all the parts for the tdi conversion.
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Sep 28 2009, 10:32 AM
Post #10

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372

When you say regearing is expensive, had you considered flipping stock gears to get ratios that are more to your liking? Give me the RPM you want and I can look into it.
+Quote Post
type11969
post Sep 28 2009, 10:39 AM
Post #11

Hmm, no I had not. All good info. I'll have to get back to you on that, this is all in the very basic planning stages. I have a whole lot of 914 to finish first.
+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post Sep 28 2009, 11:23 AM
Post #12

Cap'n Krusty

Just a little information about Vanagon trannies in general, and a couple of facts about diesel Vanagon trannies in particular. Vanagon trannies have a REAL problem with the 3-4 gear assembly. They break with irritating regularity. Practically every Vanagon that has been in here over the last 30 years has had at least one tranny replacement, nearly all for the same issue. Now, for the diesel tranny. Since the diesel Vanagons were imported for only 2-3 years (1980/81 to 1983), and the number was limited, where you gonna find one? They couldn't GIVE those things away when they were on the dealer lots.) And since the torque and HP of the original engine was probably half that of the TDI, what makes you think the notoriously weak tranny is gonna hold up under the added strain? BTW, you want to cruise at about 2000-2200 RPM in 5th. That's a 1000+ RPM drop from the stock 914 5th gear.

The Cap'n
+Quote Post
Porcharu
post Sep 28 2009, 01:34 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 3,518
Region Association: Northern California

Audi Transmission, the older 4 cylinder versions will bolt right up to the TDI. I think some of the newer ones have both the 4 cylinder and the 5/6 cylinder bolt patterns. Cableshift.com has a shifter for this setup.
Steve - wants to put a TDI 5 cylinder into my Oldvo.
+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post Sep 28 2009, 02:54 PM
Post #14

Cap'n Krusty

And where do you propose to procure a 4K gearbox with diesel gearing?

The Cap'n
+Quote Post
pktzygt
post Sep 28 2009, 03:37 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 7,611

I looked into a diesel swap for my pathfinder. Sounds easy since they sold diesel Nissan p/u in the U.S. and I saw diesel pathfinders all over Panama when I was there last summer.

I never got past the law that "supposedly" says that you can't put a diesel in a vehicle that was not sold with one in the U.S. Then I got my 914 and all but forgot about the idea. Maybe someday I'll find a loophole like putting my pathfinder body on a diesel p/u frame.

Don't ask me to find the law. I heard it from a guy who had done the project and was having trouble getting it registered on NPORA (pathfinder forum) I think. All I'm saying is that there might be legality hurdles in there somewhere.
+Quote Post
okieflyr
post Sep 28 2009, 06:01 PM
Post #16

9fauxteen

Member No.: 3,426

I would agree with going with an earlier Passat transmission since it is longitudinal. I'm not sure what your going to find to match your diesel though.
A Boxster style shift mechanism can work well with your own custom length cables. OR I still have my leftover low milage Kennedy adapter and clutch/flywheel setup if needed for a 901 conversion.
+Quote Post
aircooledtechguy
post Sep 28 2009, 07:00 PM
Post #17

The Aircooledtech Guy

Member No.: 9,730
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Ask the guys at Go Westy about this 5-speed box. They may be able to custom gear it for you as well as flop the R&P to work in a 914. . . Worth a call anyway.
+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post Sep 28 2009, 07:08 PM
Post #18

Cap'n Krusty

QUOTE(aircooledtechguy @ Sep 28 2009, 06:00 PM) *

Ask the guys at Go Westy about this 5-speed box. They may be able to custom gear it for you as well as flop the R&P to work in a 914. . . Worth a call anyway.

Bring money ..................

The Cap'n
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Sep 28 2009, 07:22 PM
Post #19

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(type11969 @ Sep 26 2009, 08:43 AM) *

Seems like it would be convenient to use a VAG diesel tranny that was already set up for the tdi engine . . . but most are front engine front wheel drive.

Wouldn't a front engine front wheel drive setup be the same as a mid engine setup besides the location in the car?

You should be able to take that engine and transmission combo and just move it back a few feet.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif) Andy
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
type11969
post Sep 28 2009, 09:04 PM
Post #20

Thanks for all the info guys, keep it coming.

When I think of front engine fwd I always think of a transverse layout. I forgot that audis/passats came front engine fwd longitudinal. So it seems like I am looking for a diesel passat (long. engine layout) tranny if such a beast exists. Or look in to gear interchangeability between later transverse diesel trannies and earlier longitudinal gas trannies. Or re-gearing of the 914 tranny, which sounds unlikely with the drop necessary. Hmm.

Thanks,

Chris
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th May 2024 - 09:19 PM