Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> New Carb linkage for /4 engines- RAT "Accu-Link", Another approach for the solution of a long time issue.
Jake Raby
post Oct 1 2009, 11:17 AM
Post #1

Engine Surgeon

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,095
Region Association: South East States

This is a sneak peek of the new cable linkage system that we have been working to complete for quite a while now.. Available (SOON!) for carburetors or our "Extrudabody" EFI throttle bodies.

Attached Image

These pics are of the first fitment of the new arrangement onto a pair of EMPI HPMX carbs on our display fixture. There are several changes necessary, but for a first mock up and fitment the system worked better than we'd imagine. The final kit will have all anodized parts, full hardware and etc included along with an installation DVD produced by yours truly.

There have been efforts by others to complete a system like this,(some with great results) but to date nothing has been universally applicable or commercially available using this method of actuation and synchronization. There has also not been an attempt made to replace the OEM throttle cable all the way to the throttle pedal.

The difference in this system is that the permanently lubricated sheathed cables will replace the ENTIRE throttle cable arrangement all the way to the pedal. This will be accomplished with a system thats comprised of one primary cable from the pedal to an intermediate link housing that will tie both cables together. The high quality, multi-role intermediate link will also have the adjustment and return spring for the arrangement in a combined unit.

The intermediate link will reside above the transaxle and will triple as a quick disconnection point should the service of the engine/ carbs need to be carried out. This intermediate link is one bad ass, yet VERY SIMPLE part!

The secondary cable couples to the primary cable via the intermediate link then travels around a billet cam on the "lead" carburetor/ throttle body. This cable then continues through another sheathed cable to the "slave" throttle body/ Carburetor.

The benefits of the cable system are numerous.. I personally like the lightweight yet very robust construction coupled to the fact that it omits the factory throttle cable and replaces it all with new much stronger parts. It's also easy to custom tailor pedal feel and throttle actuation with adjustments made to the cams and cable tensions.

I have been "over" Hex bar linkage systems and their inherent issues for years.. Bellcrank systems have proven to be expensive and can be problematic with engines that have greater expansion levels as their synchronization is effected as the engine "grows". With this system is doesn't matter how much the engine expands the cables retain their tension.

This is the smoothest and most accurate means of carburetor actuation I have experienced to date.
Here are some features:
-Universally applicable for all Weber IDF/ EMPI HPMX and Dellorto DRLA applications for the Type 1, Type 4 or Porsche 356 engine!! The same kit can fit all these different engines! The same kit can also fir a Type 3 or Type 4 engine using these carburetors with the stock pancake cooling system.

-With very slight changes this same kit can actuate a set of 48 IDAs on any of the above engines as well.

-High quality billet throttle cams allow for easy adjustment of the system for various pedal arrangements

-The entire stock throttle cable is removed and replaced with the "accu-link" components

-The intermediate link allows for ease of adjustment, a quick disconnection point, coupling of the primary and secondary cables and a redundant throttle return spring all in one self contained, snap together housing.

- The sheathed cables are adjustable in 7 different locations for ease of tuning the system to the vehicle, driver and carburetors.

-Engine width and expansion will not alter carburetor/ throttle body actuation or synchronization at all.

- Very light carb return springs are able to be used due to the ease of actuation and the slippery sheathed cables. This allows for a nice pedal feel without giving up snappy throttle action

-Carburetor throttle shaft bearings/ bushings will see reduced loads and will live longer.

- No mechanical parts to wear out like ball sockets and heim joints/ spherical bearings. When the cables begin to stretch the adjustment can be made to them in 7 different places throught the arrangement. Spare cables can be sold for pennies to keep in the glove box..

- No heavy mechanical linkages to attach to the throttle shafts and transmit harmonics to the throttle shafts, thus chattering the accelerator pumps making them dribble fuel down the intakes.. This is a tuning issue that many people fight and do not even realize it.

- Its different! As different as a DTM cooling system or a big bore Type 4!

-Its also going to be very cost effective with all parts (except the throttle intermediate link) made in the USA including the cables, billet throttle cams and etc. The throttle intermediate link is made in Germany and has been proven in the 24 hours of Le Man as recently as this past June :-)

And as of today the Patent pending processes have been initiated!

Attached Image
Attached Image

This post has been edited by Jake Raby: Oct 1 2009, 11:19 AM
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
10 Pages V « < 7 8 9 10 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(160 - 179)
charliew
post Dec 2 2010, 09:39 AM
Post #161

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,958

Jake thanks for the update, I know you want to keep your ideas but I have two son's with engineering degrees. elect and mech. I don't plan on selling your ideas but I would think a motorcycle type cable setup could be adapted easily, but really haven't got the time either. I could also use one or two of these on my simple stuff. You know you could post the desirable attributes and the good and bad and other eyes might come up with easy mods to your design to improve production and operation and installation.
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Dec 2 2010, 10:19 AM
Post #162

Engine Surgeon

My arrangement is very similar to a motorcycle arrangement, but the engine has a few more challenges.
Its not as easy as one thinks. It doesn't take an Engineering degree to do it, just common sense, experience with the most common issues and practical application testing.

What I have works great on paper.
+Quote Post
flipb
post Jun 3 2011, 12:45 PM
Post #163

Member No.: 10,752
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I don't mean to (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stirthepot.gif) on this as I know there's been a lot of poo-slinging about cable linkage systems, but...

I keep seeing this banner ad for Aircooledtechnology:
Attached Image

And yet, when I click the ad to Raby's site, I can find nothing about it.
Attached Image

What's the deal? Is it on the market? Is it coming to market? For 914 application?
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Jun 3 2011, 05:26 PM
Post #164

Engine Surgeon

QUOTE(flipb @ Jun 3 2011, 11:45 AM) *

I don't mean to (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stirthepot.gif) on this as I know there's been a lot of poo-slinging about cable linkage systems, but...

I keep seeing this banner ad for Aircooledtechnology:
Attached Image

And yet, when I click the ad to Raby's site, I can find nothing about it.
Attached Image

What's the deal? Is it on the market? Is it coming to market? For 914 application?

250 units are being produced right now. We do not have them in our store as of yet.

We have perfected a 914 specific arrangement along with Pete. You will like it, it will be cost effective.

The ad is more of a reflection of the equipment on our turnkey engines, where we have been using the system exclusively for the last 8 months or so. I just finished my 2.8 liter in the double cab and it uses the system with IR EFI and it works awesome!

When it hits the store, you'll know it.. I have a full page color ad already designed for Excellence and it has been submitted!

This post has been edited by Jake Raby: Jun 3 2011, 05:35 PM
+Quote Post
charliew
post Jun 6 2011, 04:41 PM
Post #165

Advanced Member

Interesting that it wasn't mentioned dec 2nd on your last post. Sync-link must have been pretty close.
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Jun 6 2011, 06:25 PM
Post #166

Engine Surgeon

Sync Link works better than my arrangement in Pete's final version..
Pete attended the RAT Reunion this weekend and we got on the same page with our battleplans. He is a super nice guy and I am very happy to be working with him.

A 914 specific system was more difficult to do with my design than Pete's.. His only challenge was not having a 914 to fit the system to.. Blake and I took care of that and made the necessary changes, now the 914 system uses one longer cable and integrates into the stock pedal assembly with ease. It eliminates the use of the OEM cable in it's entirety, I prefer omitting OEM parts whenever possible.

Systems with a complete step by step install DVD are just around the corner.

This post has been edited by Jake Raby: Jun 6 2011, 06:31 PM
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Jun 6 2011, 07:31 PM
Post #167

914 Wizard

Member No.: 2,744
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

It eliminates the use of the OEM cable in it's entirety, I prefer omitting OEM parts whenever possible.

I believe that is called single source or sole source
+Quote Post
jeffdon
post Jun 6 2011, 10:36 PM
Post #168

Member No.: 7,087
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Jun 6 2011, 05:25 PM) *

Sync Link works better than my arrangement in Pete's final version..
Pete attended the RAT Reunion this weekend and we got on the same page with our battleplans. He is a super nice guy and I am very happy to be working with him.

A 914 specific system was more difficult to do with my design than Pete's.. His only challenge was not having a 914 to fit the system to.. Blake and I took care of that and made the necessary changes, now the 914 system uses one longer cable and integrates into the stock pedal assembly with ease. It eliminates the use of the OEM cable in it's entirety, I prefer omitting OEM parts whenever possible.

Systems with a complete step by step install DVD are just around the corner.

Keep cracking on this. I, for one, am really interested.
+Quote Post
charliew
post Jun 7 2011, 02:20 PM
Post #169

Advanced Member

Me too. Except for a T1
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Jun 7 2011, 06:21 PM
Post #170

Engine Surgeon

QUOTE(charliew @ Jun 7 2011, 01:20 PM) *

Me too. Except for a T1

The T1 system is done.. Has been done for a while. I have 3 Dellorto kits in stock, Pete delivered them to me at the aircooled assult.. Many more on the way.
+Quote Post
porsche4me
post Jun 11 2011, 08:43 AM
Post #171

Member No.: 483
Region Association: None

Hello - All
Could I please get a little more definition of this comment -

"You will like it, it will be cost effective."

Jeff (from AutoHaus) and I , here in Savannah area, would like to put one on my 914 Chumpcar -

thank you

always looking for drivers for tight budget endurance in a 914..... mostly Southeast USA

http://www.facebook.com/?sk=messages#!...6711341?sk=wall

www.chumpcar.com
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Jun 11 2011, 08:45 AM
Post #172

Engine Surgeon

Jeff saw the system on many engines at my shop last weekend at the Aircooled Assault.
+Quote Post
charliew
post Jun 13 2011, 11:40 AM
Post #173

Advanced Member

Pictures of the system? Or do you need a sign on at aircooled heaven to see whats what?
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Jun 13 2011, 05:24 PM
Post #174

Engine Surgeon

I haven't had time to post them... I am working very hard on a huge project that will save the lives of Boxster and 996 engines and trying to get it to market..
Will try to put some time into getting some high quality pics this week.
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Jul 17 2011, 02:35 PM
Post #175

Engine Surgeon

Finally the time has come...
After 3 sets of samples and revisions from the factory we have produced a perfect mass produced version of Pete's Sync-Link throttle actuation system.

In the past month we have taken the initiative to meet the desires of the 914 following by finishing an application specific sync-link variant that Pete started a while back, but wanted us to finish. The system replaces the entire stick arrangement all the way to the throttle pedal using the same high quality, low friction cable and sheathing.
Sync-link pre-sales begin Monday July 18 at The Type 4 Store... Probably in late afternoon..
Thanks for the patience, when Pete and I teamed up things went much faster and smoother with final development and production.
Pics of the system installed into a 914 tomorrow.. :-)

This post has been edited by Jake Raby: Jul 17 2011, 02:38 PM
+Quote Post
craig downs
post Jul 17 2011, 04:33 PM
Post #176

Member No.: 5,189
Region Association: Southern California

Awesome I can't wait to purchase one
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Jul 18 2011, 08:57 AM
Post #177

Engine Surgeon

QUOTE(craig downs @ Jul 17 2011, 03:33 PM) *

Awesome I can't wait to purchase one

Lets hope the others that wanted one are in the same boat.. I hope this experience doesn't remind me of previous developments, where when the wallet had to open people changed this minds.
+Quote Post
mrbubblehead
post Jul 18 2011, 10:34 AM
Post #178

Twodollardoug

Member No.: 12,492
Region Association: Southern California

jake, will you post up a link for the new linkage when put it on your website?
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Jul 18 2011, 10:54 AM
Post #179

Engine Surgeon

I'll post the links on my forum.. I don't want to do such shameless plugs here.. Others do them enough..

I am working on the descriptions and other text now, the items are already in the store but disabled until I finish the text.
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Jul 18 2011, 10:54 AM
Post #180

Engine Surgeon

I'll post the links on my forum.. I don't want to do such shameless plugs here.. Others do them enough..

I am working on the descriptions and other text now, the items are already in the store but disabled until I finish the text.
+Quote Post

10 Pages V « < 7 8 9 10 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th May 2024 - 11:47 PM