Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need help deciding what car to buy.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
steveherman
i am a newbie.
being a single father of a teenage girl i can not risk alot of money to get a rust bucket.
since i am not a guru like you guys i need help.
i want to talk to a couple people.
i will send you links to pics and need help deciding which one to buy.
will somebody please call me and help.
407-460-5516
tat2dphreak
if you already have a couple in mind local, I think what you really need is a PPI. I'm sure someone near you in florida will be able to help, and probably only cost you a six-pack smile.gif

welcome.png

there's also a lot of info here about where to look for rust, under the battery tray and in under the rocker panels

if you want to post pics here we'll be glad to comment on them and tell you what we think. biggrin.gif
SGB
There are several 914 aware folks down in that area. TC Carr and Paul Woodbury (Ury) and Steve Gaglione (SP?). Wayne is right, pictures or an ad link will get alot of comments...
SGB
Oh wait..

YOU are in FL. Where is the car?
steveherman
one car in tn
one car in ohio
one car here in orlando
i am in kissimmee
jmill
The blue one scares me. He relocated the battery for a reason. It also has a ton of spray can detailing. I'd have that one looked over real close before I put money down.
steveherman
QUOTE(jmill @ Oct 9 2009, 09:23 PM) *

The blue one scares me. He relocated the battery for a reason. It also has a ton of spray can detailing. I'd have that one looked over real close before I put money down.

but the longs look replaced.
doesnt that fix the battery tray damage except for the battery tray?
sorry i am new.
gregrobbins
Where in Ohio is the car? I am in Stow for two weeks and could take a look for you if it is close.
tod914
The tray "area" on blue one had some type of repair work. Looks like bondo on thin metal. The gold car, looks like the owner took the time to do the proper repairs. Nice that he provided before, durning and after pics. Do you have a budget in mind? Maybe the fellers here can come up with some other choices for you as well.
I know of a real nice original 74 2.0 in South Carolina. I think it's still for sale. http://www.aceautosports.com/wordpress/?page_id=4 $10,950. Maybe Johnny can work with you on the price alittle, not sure. Nice car for the money. If it's within your budget give him a call.

Another one thats on the board here; http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=100044

Keep an eye on ebay too. 2 real nice cars recently sold (past 6 months). 72 1.7 excellent original car 9K 56,000 miles, and a 76 2.0 nice original car 8k 22,000 miles one owner no rust.
jmill
Thats why I said I'd need to look at it real close. Spray can detailing scares me. Looking replaced and actually being replaced correctly are 2 different things. There are bondo long horror stories out there. I would think if you took the time and effort to replace the longs you would replace the battery tray and go with an Optima.

The other car looks better IMHO. He actually shows pictures of replacement parts and clean metal. To be sure you need to crawl under it and poke around. But I get a better feeling about it.

Edit - Just saw the second page of the blue car pics. I'd pass on it. But thats just me.
tat2dphreak
the blue definitely needs a sharp eye on, imo...

the gold car looks like a winner. everything looks to have been done right, and well documented... a labor of love wub.gif

I'd have someone look at any car you want to buy in person, but if I was buying off pics alone... the gold one would be my bet...

#1 rule: BUY THE BEST ONE YOU CAN... it pays off in the future... anything done wrong takes a lot more to fix...

and no, replacing the long does not give the battery tray a pass... the big problem with the battery tray is the suspension ear.. which you see properly fixed on the gold car.
carr914
Hi Steve, I'm over in Tampa and have owned 19 914s. I've got a 914-6 in a shop in Winter Park so I get over there fairly often if I can help. "bcheney" and "rfuerst" live in Orlando and can also help. You got a couple good shops over there that can do an inspection on a local car - #1 Zotz and the shop where my car is at Stratton Motorsports.

As much as I like Blue, I would pass on that one you posted.

What about the car in Orlando? Of course you could buy "bcheney"s car so he can buy my 2nd 914-6 biggrin.gif

T.C.
steveherman
QUOTE(carr914 @ Oct 9 2009, 11:22 PM) *

Hi Steve, I'm over in Tampa and have owned 19 914s. I've got a 914-6 in a shop in Winter Park so I get over there fairly often if I can help. "bcheney" and "rfuerst" live in Orlando and can also help. You got a couple good shops over there that can do an inspection on a local car - #1 Zotz and the shop where my car is at Stratton Motorsports.

As much as I like Blue, I would pass on that one you posted.

What about the car in Orlando? Of course you could buy "bcheney"s car so he can buy my 2nd 914-6 biggrin.gif

T.C.

ok where is bcheney's car info?
carr914
He's not selling it, but I have been bugging him to sell it and buy one of my Six's

T.C.
orange914
not trying to rain on your idea, but you may want to consider a nice used civic or the likes as a inexpensive safe and reliable first car. if you must at least get the nicest solid 914 out there to start off with. i've been through the "lets build your first car" with both my boys (mustang & 914) and in hinde site i would never do that again simply for safety and reliability. get a builder if your daughter is interested in a second or "special" car or you are interested. statistics are a new drivers have 100% chance of an accident. which would you have your daughter in until thats out of the way? thank god when mine went thru a cinderblock wall he had air bags or the other one flipped over it was in a honda (i won't say anymore) icon8.gif but the nice 914 is set aside, used for fun and will last many more years this way. driving.gif driving-girl.gif aktion035.gif lol-2.gif

mike
beto
Hey guys my 73 914 2.0 is over in West Palm,Fl at Foreign Affairs, Military Rd. Anyone going by there this week? It is waiting for shipment t later next week to Wi and I am dying to get an "honest" assesment. Already bought it on ebay based on conversations with service manager and salesman. thanks for any help. ps working with Jonathon at Foreign Affairs
Todd Enlund
QUOTE(jmill @ Oct 9 2009, 05:39 PM) *

Thats why I said I'd need to look at it real close. Spray can detailing scares me. Looking replaced and actually being replaced correctly are 2 different things. There are bondo long horror stories out there. I would think if you took the time and effort to replace the longs you would replace the battery tray and go with an Optima.

The other car looks better IMHO. He actually shows pictures of replacement parts and clean metal. To be sure you need to crawl under it and poke around. But I get a better feeling about it.

Edit - Just saw the second page of the blue car pics. I'd pass on it. But thats just me.

Nice patch job on the firewall too - NOT.
charliew
I have two grown sons they both drove cars we built. They both wrecked the cars more than once. I have lots of patience and money for my kids car education but it's lots of work. Thank god my youngest was tboned in my 80 scout II instead of his 88 gt fiero. Luckly the clutch slave went out and he borrowed my nice scout II. One of his fieros is still in my shop and he's 28.

I remember how many cars I wrecked as a young man so I can't really say much about wrecking first cars.
steveherman
QUOTE(orange914 @ Oct 10 2009, 04:26 PM) *

not trying to rain on your idea, but you may want to consider a nice used civic or the likes as a inexpensive safe and reliable first car. if you must at least get the nicest solid 914 out there to start off with. i've been through the "lets build your first car" with both my boys (mustang & 914) and in hinde site i would never do that again simply for safety and reliability. get a builder if your daughter is interested in a second or "special" car or you are interested. statistics are a new drivers have 100% chance of an accident. which would you have your daughter in until thats out of the way? thank god when mine went thru a cinderblock wall he had air bags or the other one flipped over it was in a honda (i won't say anymore) icon8.gif but the nice 914 is set aside, used for fun and will last many more years this way. driving.gif driving-girl.gif aktion035.gif lol-2.gif

mike

FIRST CAR?
huh?
wow that was WAY OUT THERE
carr914
Steve, Sometimes things can get misconstrued on the Internet. The way I understood your 1st post was you explaining that you could not afford to make a mistake for Your car due to you being single and father to a young girl. I think some of the others thought the car was for your daughter.

Congrats on your purchase of the car out in CA. I had encouraged to look there in a pm. I hope that after the beginning of next year, that we can get a Mid-Florida 914 get together. That will give you a chance to have your car for a little bit, and rfuerst, bcheney, watsonrx and I time to get our cars running.

T.C.
steveherman
QUOTE(carr914 @ Oct 13 2009, 07:31 AM) *

Steve, Sometimes things can get misconstrued on the Internet. The way I understood your 1st post was you explaining that you could not afford to make a mistake for Your car due to you being single and father to a young girl. I think some of the others thought the car was for your daughter.

Congrats on your purchase of the car out in CA. I had encouraged to look there in a pm. I hope that after the beginning of next year, that we can get a Mid-Florida 914 get together. That will give you a chance to have your car for a little bit, and rfuerst, bcheney, watsonrx and I time to get our cars running.

T.C.

oh ok.
the way you understood it is correct.
no just being a single father can be expense.
hell being a parent is expensive.
i was just saying that for the money i am spending i know there ARE real nice cars.
i cant afford to end up with a car that needs floors, needs firewall, needs longs etc.

if i get much bigger the car might end up being my daughters car in 3 and a half years.

a 265 pound old fat man getting in a 914 is gonna be a funny sight for you guys.
get your video cameras ready.
i am gonna be a youtube star.
SUPERSTAR!!!
orange914
QUOTE(steveherman @ Oct 13 2009, 12:58 AM) *

mike

FIRST CAR?
huh?

QUOTE(carr914 @ Oct 13 2009, 04:31 AM) *

T.C.

my appologies, i thought you were talking about getting a first car for you're daughter.

mike welcome.png
steveherman
QUOTE(orange914 @ Oct 13 2009, 07:44 PM) *

QUOTE(steveherman @ Oct 13 2009, 12:58 AM) *

mike

FIRST CAR?
huh?

QUOTE(carr914 @ Oct 13 2009, 04:31 AM) *

T.C.

my appologies, i thought you were talking about getting a first car for you're daughter.

mike welcome.png

no sweat
charliew
Me too on the first time driver.

I have a 300lb friend that used to have a honda crx. Of course that was about 1978. Also it was his 100 wife's daily driver. He wanted to race my 77 celica gt but I reminded him if he was driving he had a real weight disadvantage. With yourself and a passenger the power to weight will not be very much fun in a stock 914. But your are in specs. It seems like I remember the sticker said occupant capacity was 480 lbs on the front pass fenderwell or on the firewall.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.