Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Back PAD Compresed Carboard Restoration
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
xperu
Just looking for advice and maybe some pictures of restoration of backpad. Thanks Mike
zonedoubt
I had to fix mine in a few spots where the pressboard was cracked. I used some thick cardboard as a patch (inside of binder covers), wood glue, and some clamps. Turned out not bad. You don't see it anyways. smile.gif
benalishhero
QUOTE(zonedoubt @ Oct 10 2009, 05:21 PM) *

I had to fix mine in a few spots where the pressboard was cracked. I used some thick cardboard as a patch (inside of binder covers), wood glue, and some clamps. Turned out not bad. You don't see it anyways. smile.gif

I used the same technique with 2-part epoxy. I was able to straighten the water damaged lower edge and reattatch the vinyl at the same time. As Zone already stated, you don't see it anyway.
Joe Owensby
I straightened mine out, added additional cardboard where it had disentegrated. I then put a layer of fiberglass on both sides, overlapping the old and the new. Then covered it up with new backpad material.
xperu
QUOTE(Joe Owensby @ Oct 11 2009, 07:45 PM) *

I straightened mine out, added additional cardboard where it had disentegrated. I then put a layer of fiberglass on both sides, overlapping the old and the new. Then covered it up with new backpad material.

Thanks guys, I will use one of these options, while I'm putting the last trim peices together and finishing the interior, this is the last repair job. Thanks Mike
johannes
If you watch the classic threads you will see my door paner restoration thread. I restored the cardboard panel with white wood glue. You can also change the shape using a steam iron. http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=54608
morph
We used to restore factory ones with fiberglass or epoxy.To flatten a area that is warped use 2x4s,or 6 with a release agent on them (clear shipping tape on the board so it wont stick to your back pad) and clamps.
james
IronHillRestorations
I use wax paper as a "release agent". You can also spread your fg mat with resin on a piece of wax paper and then apply it to whatever you are 'glassing.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.