Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Transmission rebuild video interest thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Dr Evil
I'm not sure if there is enough interest wink.gif

If just the people in this thread were all that wanted one, I would do it. Cost will depend on # ordered after we make it.

I like the idea of a tool list. I was already planning on a manual to accompany the video which would have stills and deeper explanations in PDF format making this a 2 disk set likely. Selling tools with the video is not gonna happen as I am making this to kind of smooth over my absence and to fortify my training from the clinics. After one of my clinics, if you use this video you will be kicking ass in no time.

A 911 and 914 one side by side is not necessary as for the 911/901 box it is only slightly different and can be done simultaneously and not take up much time (luckily). I think this is a good idea and I have all the parts to cover the 911, 914/6, 914/4 side and tail, and conversion to side shifter.

So far, for the video we will not have access to either a 914 or a lift to take video so this part, probably in the beginning since it will be the inspection part, will likely be voice over with stills and graphics. As such, I may be soliciting high quality pics of certain variances in shift linkage designs for our cars as I believe I only will have a side sifted /4 available for pics on Erics end.

Man, I wonder if the notes will end up becoming a book rolleyes.gif
davep
I'm in for a video. I just cannot remember everything. As soon as I can make some space, I'll be tearing into a couple more boxes. I've got the sportomatic in the garage to do an "inspection". It will be interesting. There is also the 4 speed / 5 speed differences and possible conversions. Grady Clay goes on about the non-simplified and simplified differentials in the very early 911 boxes. I guess the simplified boxes need upgrades to make them reliable.
obscurity
I'll buy one smile.gif
zymurgist
I'd buy one.
dlestep
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Oct 12 2009, 10:04 PM) *

If just the people in this thread were all that wanted one, I would do it. Cost will depend on # ordered after we make it.

I like the idea of a tool list. I was already planning on a manual to accompany the video which would have stills and deeper explanations in PDF format making this a 2 disk set likely. Selling tools with the video is not gonna happen as I am making this to kind of smooth over my absence and to fortify my training from the clinics. After one of my clinics, if you use this video you will be kicking ass in no time.

A 911 and 914 one side by side is not necessary as for the 911/901 box it is only slightly different and can be done simultaneously and not take up much time (luckily). I think this is a good idea and I have all the parts to cover the 911, 914/6, 914/4 side and tail, and conversion to side shifter.

So far, for the video we will not have access to either a 914 or a lift to take video so this part, probably in the beginning since it will be the inspection part, will likely be voice over with stills and graphics. As such, I may be soliciting high quality pics of certain variances in shift linkage designs for our cars as I believe I only will have a side sifted /4 available for pics on Erics end.

...Doc, I am sure that a first time run through in this thread is not a very good barometer to gauge the full scope of interest. That kind of information is a must have in every garage. I would be pleased as punch to help in scattering the video to everyone I know (outside of this website), and I'm sure that a lot of part stores wouldn't mind carrying it on their shelves. This is the time for the DIYer. Press ON...Dave
jhadler
Sounds great! I'd be interested!

-Josh2
Dr Evil
QUOTE(dlestep @ Oct 12 2009, 11:23 PM) *

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Oct 12 2009, 10:04 PM) *

...Doc, I am sure that a first time run through in this thread is not a very good barometer to gauge the full scope of interest. That kind of information is a must have in every garage. I would be pleased as punch to help in scattering the video to everyone I know (outside of this website), and I'm sure that a lot of part stores wouldn't mind carrying it on their shelves. This is the time for the DIYer. Press ON...Dave

Dave, I was being tongue-in-cheek wink.gif If 10 people wanted it and I could get it made I would do it. It will be available for distribution to where ever biggrin.gif I'll keep you informed and thanks for spreading the word thumb3d.gif
daveyboybadion
count me in for one...daveyboy
ConeDodger
Dr. Eeeevvilll...

What part of the country are you thinking of filming in? I have a lift and a 914, Paul Sayegh has a nicer lift and a nicer 914.
Hey Evil....cont me in for 1 also...

JLMK

KP
Dr Evil
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Oct 13 2009, 12:25 PM) *

Dr. Eeeevvilll...

What part of the country are you thinking of filming in? I have a lift and a 914, Paul Sayegh has a nicer lift and a nicer 914.

The studio is in NY.
JazonJJordan
idea.gif I am certainly in on the act. DVD BLUray please...(haha-) drunk.gif

I 2nd ConeDodger's naughty Nurse but she should also be forgivably clumbsy, dropping tools and bending to pick them up repeatably (-sigh/smile)... rolleyes.gif

$$: one video - one popcorn - pack of milk duds for me - I'm front row! shades.gif
jaminM3
I am up for one. I rebuilt a couple T-5 mustang transmissions using a video produced by Hanlon Motorsports in Pennsylvania, I think. He did a good job with the video showing the dog teeth and what is considered good and bad. You should take take a look at it.
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(jaminM3 @ Oct 13 2009, 07:20 PM) *

He did a good job with the video showing the dog teeth and what is considered good and bad. You should take take a look at it.

I think that this would be a critical aspect to the video.

When Mike took mine apart, I thought it looked great, and had no idea that it was shot. I just saw shiny non-rusted metal. I did not know where to look for wear or galling. Side by side closeups of good, passable and bad of the common wear points are a must - and will be the difference between a kinda helpful video and a really helpful video.

Zach
Jake Raby
I have a studio at my shop with sound deadening, etc, etc. I have two cameras,(including an XL2) lights, dual zone wireless audio and Final Cut Pro editing software.
I also have a lift downstairs and 914s at my disposal.

I just finished a how to for EMPI for their carburetors... If you want to chat email me.

Blake and I were already considering doing this,(before Dr. Evil mentioned it) it could be shot an edited inside of a month and I already have mass production DVD sources available..

Just an idea. The Dr. can be the star.
Dr Evil
Kind offer, Jake. But, I have an award wining studio in NY that has offered up their services. All I have to do is show up with my script/syllabus and some parts. We will be using stills for the under car inspection. No biggie smile.gif

I told Noel about the female costar bit and she got jealous. Then she offered to do it (she is hot). Maybe.
76-914
Yep, ditto, +1
campbellcj
I'm interested as well.
montoya 73 2.0
Doctor Evil, What does this mean "Mike Lesniak, MD, Penn State COM c/o 2009" cause it sounds like I have to start calling you Sir Doc?
Jake Raby
Just an idea..

Shooting parts is a lot different than people..
And we don't use scripts :-)
swl
Sorry Jake but the script is very important.

You can't do a Doc Evil rebuild without appropriate references to nude wrestling, acts of procreation and other bodily functions biggrin.gif
JazonJJordan
I 2nd. biggrin.gif
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Oct 11 2009, 01:32 PM) *

I'm in and I'll throw in an extra $10 if your co-host is in a bikini aktion035.gif w00t.gif

ericread
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Oct 14 2009, 03:56 PM) *

Kind offer, Jake. But, I have an award wining studio in NY that has offered up their services. All I have to do is show up with my script/syllabus and some parts. We will be using stills for the under car inspection. No biggie smile.gif

I told Noel about the female costar bit and she got jealous. Then she offered to do it (she is hot). Maybe.

At this point I think you should consider a two-disc set. One disc full of shots of the tool-girl reaching down to pick up tools, and the other disc for the transmission repair.

From what I can tell after attending one clinic and reading of the interactions at the other clinics, putting the tool-girl in the repair disc will just confuse all of us and probably be a cause of major errors. We're a simple folk with fairly short attention spans... laugh.gif

For realism, how about adding two scratch and sniff panels; One panel would smell of spicy chili; The other would be of Dr. Evil's flatulance, obviously caused by the chili. (I'm not sure the EPA has cleared some of the shops Dr. Evil visited as safe quite yet) lol3.gif

Just a thought...

Eric
bag5rcg
I'm in....Play your cards right and I bet Pelican and AA may carry it smile.gif

Looking forward to it.....
crxnug
im interested
BMXerror
I'm in for one... BTW, did someone say naughty nurse? Maybe I can get my lady-friend to volunteer. wub.gif
Click to view attachment
Mark D.
bag5rcg
icon_bump.gif
Mr.242
I would be okay with one....

Dr. Evil; I think all the requests for hot girl assistant would only distract from your loyal followers. I think there is a state of denial on their part of the "man-crush" they are feeling to their teacher. A confusion of sorts.............

It's just an observation; you are the trained medical professional and I'm sure you notice that trend in the thread.

Also, can you put an out-takes section on there? I know there is no possible way that I can watch an entire video on reconstructing a transmission, hear your voice, AND take you seriously! I will need some dose of reality to hear your wise-ass comments, the crew gasping for air from your odors, and the off topic rants that have nothing to do with transmissions!

Good Luck and Rock on! aktion035.gif

P.S. Can you make her blonde? lol-2.gif
ericread
QUOTE(Mr.242 @ Nov 2 2009, 07:56 AM) *

I would be okay with one....

Dr. Evil; I think all the requests for hot girl assistant would only distract from your loyal followers. I think there is a state of denial on their part of the "man-crush" they are feeling to their teacher. A confusion of sorts.............

P.S. Can you make her blonde? lol-2.gif

Or maybe just wear a blond wig? wub.gif wacko.gif

lol-2.gif
computers4kids
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Oct 13 2009, 06:39 PM) *

QUOTE(jaminM3 @ Oct 13 2009, 07:20 PM) *

He did a good job with the video showing the dog teeth and what is considered good and bad. You should take take a look at it.

I think that this would be a critical aspect to the video.

When Mike took mine apart, I thought it looked great, and had no idea that it was shot. I just saw shiny non-rusted metal. I did not know where to look for wear or galling. Side by side closeups of good, passable and bad of the common wear points are a must - and will be the difference between a kinda helpful video and a really helpful video.

Zach

agree.gif totally with Zach. It would be crucial for some high res close-ups on how to tell the good from the bad parts, ie. dogteeth, bands, synchros, slider etc.

A "special tool list" would be awesome too...perhaps a "how to build your own tools."

Don't forget to add a theatrical version and an "unrated version" biggrin.gif
thompson-mfr
Count me in for a copy.
zig-n-zag
Dr.Evil,

Add me to your list, thanks.
Dr Evil
I think that I am going to start a new thread to get feedback on the syllabus smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.