Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Car for Sale - Rust on Passenger Rocker - Fixable?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Cire
Howdy All,

I am looking at a car for sale that has some rust on the passenger rocker. Is this fixable? Whats the work look like? Can you get under it and put in a piece of steel to support it? Its a bad spot... How bad?

Car is a 73 with a 2.0 that runs.

Gint
Almost anything is fixable. That will take a lot of work. And it probably gets worse the more sheet metal you remove.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(Cire @ Oct 12 2009, 06:58 AM) *

Howdy All,

I am looking at a car for sale that has some rust on the passenger rocker. Is this fixable? Whats the work look like? Can you get under it and put in a piece of steel to support it? Its a bad spot... How bad?

That is nothing! Every piece there is made and all are fairly easily replaced. I was just showing the group sunday the complete "hell hole" panels we make all welded together. Looked like a piece cut from an original factory rust free car!
FourBlades
Take off the rocker panels and look around the jacking points.

Look under the carpets at the rear behind the seats.

Look at the hell hole. There is probably more rust lurking.

It is unlikely that is the only rust, but if it is, that is not hard to fix.

John
Cire
QUOTE(FourBlades @ Oct 12 2009, 07:05 AM) *

Take off the rocker panels and look around the jacking points.

Look under the carpets at the rear behind the seats.

Look at the hell hole. There is probably more rust lurking.

It is unlikely that is the only rust, but if it is, that is not hard to fix.

John

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. I have pictures of both trunks and (from the photo) they look good. You are probably correct that there is more rust. I really dont want to restore the car, just make sure its safe to drive.

= ) Safe is good...

Eric
Cire
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Oct 12 2009, 07:05 AM) *

Howdy All,

That is nothing! Every piece there is made and all are fairly easily replaced. I was just showing the group sunday the complete "hell hole" panels we make all welded together. Looked like a piece cut from an original factory rust free car!

What do you mean you make pieces... Do you have this part of the car or are you talking about changing out the entire length of the rocker? My hope was to build a piece to put in there to hold it all together and make sure its strong...

Your thoughts are VERY welcome. Got pictures of a Rocker Rust Repair job around? Would love to see them.

Eric
charliew
If you weigh about 200lbs look at the door gap and see if it closes up with the door open using a tape measure across the top between the windshiels and targa, while you are bouncing up and down a little. If it changes expect a lot of metal repair. Start out gently or it might fold up, bounce more agressively if it starts out looking good at first. That rust could be maybe only where dirt has stayed inside the fender well but I bet if the car was not taken care of it's way worse than a first glance shows. I thought I had a rust free CO and WY car but it ain't so. If you really want to know pull the battery and use a really good flashlight to check out under the battery and look up under the bottom with the car jacked up around the area you have in the pictures. A sharp scribe with a handle poking on the metal is the best way to check for soft metal.

New metal parts are available but it will cost the price of a no rust tub probably to get just the parts not counting the labor.

Check out the pieces and prices.

There's plenty of repair threads available.

I bet thats not a AZ. car.
sww914
There's more rust than that lower and deeper, down in the long under the rocker. It will need to be fixed or the car will sag soon.
sean_v8_914
hey george, that is a cool looking assembly. could you post a photo for the rest of the crew to see?
Shade Tree
This is a preview of what your repair will look like. Notice that if you cut the piece out of your donor car right, you can replace part of the long, the hell hole and door sill with one repair piece. This also did not include cutting the fender.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
r_towle
georges stuff
Sleepin
Ask the seller to step on the doorjamb and bounce. Have him do it, as it creates hilarious results. biggrin.gif

I would walk away from that personally.
siverson
> Assuming this is the only rust..

That's definitely not the only rust. In general, even "rust free" cars with no visible rust have lots of hidden rust.

> That is nothing! Every piece there is made and all are fairly easily replaced.

Remember, advice like that generally comes from guys who want to sell you parts.

IMO: It's a ton of work - I'd find another car.

-Steve
Gigamight
Just another "there's more rust remark" here, but when you look under the carpets, check to see if the tar/sealant/sound deadening material is fixed firmly to the floor. If there is a spot that is kinda loose, there's rust beneath it. I thought my floors looked pristine until I removed the stuff covering the floor pan. RUSTAPALOOZA!!!
oldschool

Howdy All,

I could not find the lower sheet metal under the battery tray on your web site, I got the tray from some one from your co. on e-bay can you send me the link I need ever thing thats in the area of the hell hole please. aktion035.gif
oldschool

Howdy All,

George this is the parts I need for booth of my teener w00t.gif
Spoke
QUOTE(Cire @ Oct 12 2009, 10:18 AM) *
I really dont want to restore the car, ...

This car most likely will need restored. This corner at least needs some new metal. Chances are there are more restoration projects on this car hiding underneath the rocker panels, in the hell hole, and under the floors.

I would recommend passing on this car and looking for a more solid car. There are better cars out there, especially if you are not looking for a project car like this one may be.
Gint
QUOTE(oldschool @ Oct 13 2009, 02:04 AM) *
George this is the parts I need for booth of my teener w00t.gif
I know Restoration Design makes them. And they are under new ownership.
Link to RD page - 914 right side engine shelf is #11
bembry
If that car has a door sill that looks as that car's does, then I'd bet there is a buttload of rust hiding elsewhere. Not a typical "first rust" kind of place...

No--not an AZ car IMO.
Cire
QUOTE(bembry @ Oct 13 2009, 02:52 PM) *

If that car has a door sill that looks as that car's does, then I'd bet there is a buttload of rust hiding elsewhere. Not a typical "first rust" kind of place...

No--not an AZ car IMO.

Thanks everyone for the great feedback. Greatly appreciated.

914World ROCKS!!!!

Eric
john grier
That 914 is adratic blue
It is not a 73 unless it has been repainted!!
It has to be older with a transplant engine
unless it has been repainted.

QUOTE(Cire @ Oct 12 2009, 05:58 AM) *

Howdy All,

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.