Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Want to flat tow my 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Porsche Rescue
I once had a great flat tow set up using a vw tow bar and some custom brackets which bolted to the front floor/torsion bar mount. Unfortunatley I sold the system with the car. Now I want to flat tow my 914 as a motor home tow car.
Bug pack makes a bar and also a bracket which attaches to a Super Beatle. Wondering if it might work on a 914. Anyone know anything? Any other ideas?
URY914
I used to flat tow my 914 race car. I used a Super Bettle tow bar set up but had a bracket made that bolted up to the stock bumper mounting holes. I just had to remove the bumper each time to mount the bracket. But it was pretty easy to do. I only used two bolts on the bumper.
Ferg
Gint has a real slick setup. Pretty sure it's 914 specific, but watching him hook up and unhook it's super easy.

Pretty sure he got it through a clubmember, I'm sure he'll chime in when he see's this.

Ferg
Gary
A vendor here sells a bolt on setup: Rennenmetal.

Even has his own website: tow brackets.

G
Porsche Rescue
Thanks all. I'll wait for Gint but it looks like the Rennenmetal bracket is the answer. Not cheap but simple and safe. Now to find a bra.....I bet I have had a half dozen over the years and sold them all!
Ferg
Pretty sure that's what Gint has... sure looks like it anyhow.

hot_shoe914
Get a good used towdolly off CL for about 500.00 and use it. Easy and economical.
DBCooper
Dollys are O.K., but I greatly prefer to flat tow myself. It's cheaper, easier, more stable so I think safer, you don't have to license the dolly every year, takes up almost no storage space, is a lot narrower than a dolly so you don't have to concentrate on staying in the center of the lane, and I don't need a truck, can tow the 914 behind my Volvo. In fact have, from California to Texas and back several times, and it's like it's not even behind the car. Way over the speed limit and never even a twitch.

Only serious down side I can see is that with a pickup (which I don't have) and a dolly I could tow different kinds of cars. With the Rennenmetal setup it's just a 914. I don't tow any other cars, so that one's a non-factor for me, but I figure if that ever came up and I really needed to I could just rent a dolly. They're cheap.
plas76targa

Jim - I have one of the DLEE tow brackets. Works great. it's not the VW bar version bit works the same. I did have to change from the stock valence or remove that to fit. Regardless, great product that I'd recommend.
Porsche Rescue
Thanks all. I was offered and have purchased a slightly used Dlee bracket and Drawtite bar from a world member.

I decided against the tow dolly since I am going to tow behind a motorhome and don't want to have another item to contend with when I unhitch.

Now, who can help with the next issue...lights. The set up I once had (came with the car so I did not fabricate it) had a wire harness in the front trunk that tapped into the rear lights for towing. I believe it connected up front and did not run all the way to the tail of the car. Can I find wires to splice into under the dash/fuse panel?

Here is a pic of that car. Sold through Craig at Camp 914. Anyone here own it now (the Yokohama decal is gone).

Click to view attachment
Ferg
Find a stand alone set of lights that would plug into the pre-existing harness on the hitch. Then you don't have to fiddle with the 914 and just unplug when you arrive. The big magnet's should attach to the engine lid for the stand alone lights, and run the cords through the front trunk and tape along window seal with (blue painters tape biggrin.gif ) then it's done.

Ferg
VaccaRabite
IPB Image

super beetle tow bar, rennmetal tow bar linkage, magnetic towing lights on the deck lid under the targa bar.

I towed it about 60 miles with my little Subaru (rated for 2000lbs towing) but it pulled easier with Mike's Vue. With the Suby, going was not an issue, but stopping was.

Zach
Porsche Rescue
Zach, how do you route the light cord? Like Ferg said or a different way?
jhadler
QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Oct 14 2009, 12:02 AM) *

Get a good used towdolly off CL for about 500.00 and use it. Easy and economical.

No tow dolly! I'd rather flat tow... Low clearance cars will have problems. BTDT....

-Josh2
Porsche Rescue
I agree. I have towed a number of 914's long distance with a dolly (So CA to Oregon). It is a good way if the purpose is to pick-up or deliver a 914. I have often had trouble with the dolly ramps hitting the bottom of the longs when the car is low. Flat tow is better when the same car is going to be towed often, such as to events or behind an RV.
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(Porsche Rescue @ Oct 14 2009, 12:52 PM) *

Zach, how do you route the light cord? Like Ferg said or a different way?

I don't have a picture, so follow along in your mind.

1)Open the front trunk, pull out lights. Leave trunk open.
2)Lights get stuck on the back under the targa bar,
3)put a wrap or two around the tow bar (with enough swing room for the car) and I plug in the hitch end.
4)Lay majority of cord in front trunk and GENTLY close the trunk, holding it in place.
5)Put any remaining slack between front trunk and targa bar between the top of the side window and the targa seal.

Almost none of the cord is outside to get caught by wind, people, trees, etc.

Zach
jsayre914
zach, your car looks really nice in that pic. beerchug.gif

and noel makes it all that much better
r_towle
QUOTE(jsayre914 @ Oct 14 2009, 07:28 PM) *

zach, your car looks really nice in that pic. beerchug.gif

and noel makes it all that much better

That is the only way I have ever seen it on the road....

Rich
VaccaRabite
Come to Hershey next year Rich. Its driving now, it should be driving then. *should*
Porsche Rescue
Thanks Ferg and Zach. Magnet lights it is.
r_towle
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Oct 14 2009, 07:42 PM) *

Come to Hershey next year Rich. Its driving now, it should be driving then. *should*

I will be there...I typically am.
Question is....where will Doc be?

Rich
steveherman
i have the tow bar that attaches to the lower torsion bar on the type one.
anything i can do?
VaccaRabite
^^^
I think most of them do. Mine attaches to the front of the torsion bar of my 914.

The beetle bar will work, but you need to get the matching towbar hookup.

Zach
steveherman
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Oct 14 2009, 10:57 PM) *

^^^
I think most of them do. Mine attaches to the front of the torsion bar of my 914.

The beetle bar will work, but you need to get the matching towbar hookup.

Zach

i have this bar
this is the one that you have that attaches to your torsion bar?
see how it hooks and wraps around axle?
is that what you are talkin about?
IPB Image

this bar seems to be the one that has to be used for metal plates described earlier

IPB Image
DBCooper
No, no. The Mount Plates 5552 and 5553 pictured won't fit a 914. Or it could, I suppose, but only with substantial modification. What you want is that equivalent piece made specifically for the 914, which is what's sold by David Lee (DLEE) of Rennenmetal. His part number for the SB tow bar is "#1400 - tow bar bracket for SB bar #1400" at the top of the page http://www.rennenmetal.com/products.asp?cat=2 . You use the bracket from Rennenmetal which is bolted permanently to the car, and then the Superbeetle tow bars 5557 or 5558 in that photo will fit with pins, but only when you want to tow it.

He has other brackets for other types of towbars. I got the Drawtite bracket because I won't always be carrying that Superbeetle towbar with me or have one handy, and figure if I break down miles from anywhere I can always just buy another Drawtite bar (they're sold everywhere, and cheap as chips at Harbor Freight) and find a way to get myself get towed home.
steveherman
QUOTE(DBCooper @ Oct 15 2009, 10:23 AM) *

No, no. The Mount Plates 5552 and 5553 pictured won't fit a 914. Or it could, I suppose, but only with substantial modification. What you want is that equivalent piece made specifically for the 914, which is what's sold by David Lee (DLEE) of Rennenmetal. His part number for the SB tow bar is "#1400 - tow bar bracket for SB bar #1400" at the top of the page http://www.rennenmetal.com/products.asp?cat=2 . You use the bracket from Rennenmetal which is bolted permanently to the car, and then the Superbeetle tow bars 5557 or 5558 in that photo will fit with pins, but only when you want to tow it.

He has other brackets for other types of towbars. I got the Drawtite bracket because I won't always be carrying that Superbeetle towbar with me or have one handy, and figure if I break down miles from anywhere I can always just buy another Drawtite bar (they're sold everywhere, and cheap as chips at Harbor Freight) and find a way to get myself get towed home.

ugh.
I HAVE THE 5550 BAR.
what do i have to do to use that bar?
i not even for a second thought the mount plates would work.
Gint
QUOTE(Gary @ Oct 12 2009, 11:58 AM) *
A vendor here sells a bolt on setup: Rennenmetal.

Even has his own website: tow brackets.

Missed this thread. Sorry Jim. I have this same David Lee tow bracket setup and a Draw-Tite tow bar. Works great. Tape up the front of your 914 though. Flat towing is brutal on the front end of the car being towed.
jhadler
I have a generic tow bar I acquired years ago. The mounting brackets are set in the fog light wells. I put some nice sized reinforcing plates behind them as well. It's nice install, but still untested as the car hasn't been ready for travel in some time...

-Josh2
Porsche Rescue
QUOTE(Gint @ Oct 15 2009, 02:32 PM) *
Missed this thread. Sorry Jim. I have this same David Lee tow bracket setup and a Draw-Tite tow bar. Works great. Tape up the front of your 914 though. Flat towing is brutal on the front end of the car being towed.

Thanks Mike. I just bought a bra from a fellow World member. I bet I have owned a half dozen over the years and sold them all. Now I need one.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.