So,

What are the options for oil tanks?
New, used?
Who sells the new ones, and how much?

Rich
rick 918-S
popcorn[1].gif idea.gif bye1.gif assimilate.gif popcorn[1].gif
IronHillRestorations
I don't know if Don Welch is still making tanks or not, but that's probably the best way to go on a non concours car. Not to say his tanks aren't nice, they are. I want to say he had a filler neck and filter console that went with it too. I think the total was $950 for the tank/filler neck/filter console package. You can still use the factory filter console boot and nylon tank spacers.

Velios used to make a cast aluminum tank, it's heavy and I had about a 25% leak ratio on the ones I sold. I don't think Velios is even in business anymore, even if he was I personally wouldn't buy anything from him.

The last factory tank I got was over a grand, and then you've got to get all the ancillaries. I'd say budget about $1100-$1200 to go that way.

The factory boot with clip and the nylon spacers will run around $60 IIRC.
carr914
I thought Rich Johnson had them

T.C.
r_towle
Sorry, could you post a few pics of all these parts you are talking about?

Rich
pete-stevers
don now lives in Australia, and i am not sure if he has found a machine shop to make them there.
SLITS
Peterson tank in the front trunk ... $400

911 tank cut into rear trunk ... Reasonably cheap

Stock tank ... $1.1K new, $800 used

Custom made ... have no idea

Add in for lines and fittings for all .

The engine doesn't give a shit where the tank is or what it is as long as the suction of the oil pump on a six is flooded at all times (height of oil level above pump, volume of oil and diameter of supply line.

Purists & pinky lifters will frown upon you for anything but stock!!
MDG
Aase Bros. have a NOS tank on their site for $975

aasesales.com
Gint
I bought a new OEM unit from Rich Johnson. $950-ish. No pics. It looks like a brand new factory tank.
SLITS
QUOTE(MDG @ Oct 14 2009, 07:55 PM) *

aasesales.com

Dave hid a buncha good shit when they closed the junkyard.
MDG
QUOTE(SLITS @ Oct 14 2009, 10:58 PM) *

QUOTE(MDG @ Oct 14 2009, 07:55 PM) *

aasesales.com

Dave hid a buncha good shit when they closed the junkyard.

I've bought a few things from them; all as advertised.
pete-stevers
if i only got off my ass, i would like to make them, and call them Easton's tanks
they would be modified from an original, with more volume and a better filling spout
but i need to get moving on it
we need a smiley with me and a fire under my ass
been thinkin about this for a while
campbellcj
I saw an aluminum repro tank on the Mittelmotor web site the other day. The info was sparse but it may be worth investigating also.

Years ago I found my NOS factory tank on ebay for a sweet price. The bonus was that the guy actually lived 1/2 mile from me so I picked it up in person and met another 914 fan in the neighborhood. I doubt they are as easy to find at less than full $$$$ these days.
6freak
QUOTE(r_towle @ Oct 14 2009, 06:11 PM) *

So,

What are the options for oil tanks?
New, used?
Who sells the new ones, and how much?

Rich

bend over and greaser up boy lol-2.gif
jasons
Patrick sells a repro. About $1k fully outfitted (filler neck, filter console, etc.).

http://www.patrickmotorsports.com/part/434/

shoguneagle
I should have the original tank, Rich Johnson oil lines, console with new o-ring, bolts and washers setting in my parts bin not being used. If you are interested in them, I could get them out of the sorage before the snow season. Right now I am in California and will be home after Monday, Oct. 19th.

Do not have any idea on pricing or shipping costs.

Need to clean out all the Porsche items I am not using.

Steve Hurt
SirAndy
QUOTE(9146986 @ Oct 14 2009, 05:58 PM) *

I don't know if Don Welch is still making tanks or not, but that's probably the best way to go on a non concours car. Not to say his tanks aren't nice, they are. I want to say he had a filler neck and filter console that went with it too.

agree.gif

I have one of Don's tanks with filler neck and all.

Great product, great quality!
thumb3d.gif Andy

PS: They're still listed here, not sure about availability: http://rebelracingproducts.com/EngineRelated.html

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

rktmn247
When I finally had the funds I purchased one of Don's tanks, like Andy pictured. The only place I could find it was at Patrick. It is a very nice piece!
sww914
I did a group buy here on the last of Don's tanks about a year ago. I'm not sure if Clint at Rebel has a tank or two left but I doubt it. Patrick Motorsports made a run of them after Don left, I haven't seen one in person but they're probably quite nice. Don isn't sure if he'll make tanks again, even though they're expensive he wasn't exactly getting rich on them. I helped him make a run of 20 or so once and there is a looooot of labor involved. They look simpler than they are.
I have a bunch of oil filter stands left over from Don's tanks, brand new anodized with an O ring and mounting hardware. PM me if you need any if you decide to make tanks or whatever. Fire sale prices!
scotty
QUOTE(9146986 @ Oct 14 2009, 06:58 PM) *

Velios used to make a cast aluminum tank, it's heavy and I had about a 25% leak ratio on the ones I sold.

Think "rust prevention" blink.gif

Mine doesn't leak, but the big issue I had early on with mine was figuring out "how much oil" was too much ( barf.gif = more rust prevention) -- I have *that* figured out now!

That pictured tank is a work of art -- I love the fill pipe...is that copper anodized?
SirAndy
QUOTE(scotty @ Oct 15 2009, 09:22 PM) *

I love the fill pipe...is that copper anodized?

No. It's "mood" lighting ... biggrin.gif

The filler neck is aluminum, just like the rest of the tank.
bye1.gif Andy
scotty
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 15 2009, 10:29 PM) *

No. It's "mood" lighting ... biggrin.gif

The filler neck is aluminum, just like the rest of the tank.
bye1.gif Andy

Whoa...good thing you told me before I took her home! chair.gif
edwin
not sure if anyone saw this
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/PORSCHE-914-6-ORIGI...=item3a53daf40f
it isnt mine i just thought someone might be interested and it may be easy to miss as it is on the Aus Ebay.
cheers
edwin
lotus_65
i know of a "doesn't leak" 911 tank for $50.

good deal?
SLITS
QUOTE(lotus_65 @ Oct 23 2009, 04:16 AM) *

i know of a "doesn't leak" 911 tank for $50.

good deal?

Price is good, but it won't fit in the stock location.
Mark Henry
Can us hack and modify peeps cut up a 911 tank and make a 914 tank out of it? I can borrow a 914 tank for a pattern.
idea.gif smash.gif welder.gif
Rav914
What someone should do, someone with the skills, is make one. Document the process, publish the templates, list materials, take pictures, and post here.

Instant classic.

Hero status.
brant
QUOTE(Rav914 @ Oct 23 2009, 09:32 AM) *

What someone should do, someone with the skills, is make one. Document the process, publish the templates, list materials, take pictures, and post here.

Instant classic.

Hero status.

its still a crap load of work and not cheap
I did it.. but probably still have 100 -150 of materials and parts into it.
I used aluminum and tig'd the thing with AN fittings welded on

its tough.. probably the reason they are pricey$$$
Mark Henry
Wasn't the originals just steel? Heck if it came down to it parker push-loc hose fittings would be fine for me.
I've seen some prices for the factory hoses. blink.gif
r_towle
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Oct 23 2009, 05:27 PM) *

Wasn't the originals just steel? Heck if it came down to it parker push-loc hose fittings would be fine for me.
I've seen some prices for the factory hoses. blink.gif

I suspect, though not for sure, that the fittings on a 911 tank are the same as the fittings on a 914 tank.

I am leaning towards getting a 911 tank and punting from that point.
If I have the fittings, I can get the proper shape with some foam and make the thing out of steel.

Rich
brant
Rich,

it should work..
but depending upon what you use for oil lines you may or may not want to use the 911 fittings..

the tank fittings are metric
if you use stock 914/6 oil lines than they will work fine

most aftermarket lines are not metric
they are often AN
and if that is the case then you have to come up with metric to AN conversion fittings...

we did this on my stock tank in order to use braided stainless oil lines.

So depending upon your choice of oil lines, you may want to make the tank out of those fittings.... Thus the reason I made an aluminum tank and used aluminum AN fittings on it.. I intend to convert another car and use AN fittings/aftermarket lines on that car
rfuerst911sc
I installed a Don Welch tank in my GT clone and that thing is a piece of art. Very well made. However I did convert both fittings to AN so I could run braided hose. Not that braided hose is cheap dry.gif . I used -16AN from the tank to the engine cooler and -12AN from the engine to thermostat and then to front mounted cooler. If someone could make a tank maybe not quite as nice as Don's and maybe just a little cruder they could probably sell a few. But the market is not too big. I'm glad I got one when they were still available, as a matter of fact I got the tank,oil filter console and the filler neck with cap for $750.00 on special. I now realize how good a deal I got biggrin.gif .
Dr Evil
The AUS one relisted for $500 on ebay.
greenie
Not an easy item to obtain or build ..good luck.

Keep looking you'll find one.
brant
photobucket ate my pictures..
but i finally found these tucked away:

my template and
the internal baffling
brant
these pictures were taken before welding was finished.
some of the seems are only tacked
Mark Henry
Thanks brant! any more pics?

If it was mild steel it wouldn't be too hard for me!

What about repairing a rusty tank? I know were I can get one cheap.
brant
a couple more pictures, but they don't show anything more really:

mild steel would be fine
just use steel fittings
it helps a ton to have access to a big break
I did this tank in my votec welding class, and they had a number of helpful tools around that shop.

An old style radiator shop would be a good place to start with a rusty tank
I would think it could be easily brazed or repaired
clean it well with a wire brush to expose all of the rusty areas

brant
and:

Mark Henry
Is a 914-6 tank and the tank from a -'83 930 turbo the same or close?
Dr Evil
Not really.
bigkensteele
Can I ask why having the oil tank reside in the left quarter is so critical? It would seem to me that it could live virtually anywhere in the car. Front trunk, rear trunk? Would that not take away from the complexity of building a very specificly shaped/sized container to fit in that odd location? Why not put it in the front trunk and add a little weight bias up there? You could shape it anyway you want and probably buy something off the shelf that would work for far less. Just my $.02.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Oct 26 2009, 10:10 PM) *

Can I ask why having the oil tank reside in the left quarter is so critical? It would seem to me that it could live virtually anywhere in the car. Front trunk, rear trunk? Would that not take away from the complexity of building a very specificly shaped/sized container to fit in that odd location? Why not put it in the front trunk and add a little weight bias up there? You could shape it anyway you want and probably buy something off the shelf that would work for far less. Just my $.02.

The tank was put in the quarter behind the driver because that comes the closest to where it would be if the engine were in a 911. You could use an aftermarket tank and mount it anywhere you can find space. But then you have to run the lines to the engine. It has been done many times, but in my opinion, why reinvent the wheel? Porsche already did all the engineering, all I have to do is install it.

There have been multiple locations for the oil tank, some have installed in the stock location, some put it where the battery normally lives, and some in the front trunk. Some have even installed a 911 tank in the rear trunk.

I think a competent welder/sheet metal fabricator could use the oil filter console mount and fittings from a 911 tank to make a 914 tank. It would just take some time and effort.

brant
QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Oct 26 2009, 10:10 PM) *

a lot of race cars run it in the front trunk
the tank has to be high enough in the chassis to feed the engine via gravity
the front trunk is done often, yet there is still a miniscule question about the gravity feed and ability to meet the engines oil need with such long lines...

obviously lines need to be thought out carefully with a front trunk set up as well as size of those lines.... usually AN16 is considered optimal for the feed due to less restriction in the bigger sized line..... so AN16 from the front end can run $$$$ big big money! (possibly more than the cost of a stock tank)

finally... some racing sanctioning bodies won't allow the front trunk
may not matter to 99.9% of the people out there.. but in my case, my vintage organization will only allow stock location for the tank.

b
Mark Henry
I want a clean install, I like the stock look, but what is hidden from sight is not my concern.

The reason I asked about the 930 tank is because someone is offering me one for my ceramic lifters.
ahdoman
Mark - I wouldn't do that trade. You're lifters are worth way more than any 911 type oil tank unless it's a plug N' play tank (i,e, real 914/6 tank). Another option (since you're going to the /6) is to put the tank in the engine compatment where the circuit board is. Witha carbed /6 you really don't need the circuit board. You'll have to add a couple of relayed power leads for things like the ECU but that's easy and can be put anywhere. It's amazing how much space you have in the engine compatment behind the driver once the board is removed.
GS Guy
I'm surprised no-one here mentions the PMS tank?
http://www.patrickmotorsports.com/part/434/

Seems exactly like what's being talked about, and fairly well priced compared to what others have been advertised for?

Must be some "inside reputation" or other "Motormeister" type scuttle butt keeping it off the list? confused24.gif

Jeff
Dr Evil
Keep your lifters and make a tank. It doesnt have to be fancy, just make a torpedo that stands up at an angle and sits behind the fire wall once the circuit board is removed. You have the skills.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Oct 27 2009, 12:56 PM) *

Keep your lifters and make a tank. It doesnt have to be fancy, just make a torpedo that stands up at an angle and sits behind the fire wall once the circuit board is removed. You have the skills.

That's what I'm thinking. Mild steel I could make the tank al la brant very easy and cheap.

Guy doesn't have long to make a better offer, another member just offered me full pop on the lifters.
BTW I do have another set for my bug T4 engine smile.gif
Eric_Shea
Must be some "inside reputation" or other "Motormeister" type scuttle butt keeping it off the list?

Or... read post #15. wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.