Am i the only one who thinks that is just wrong? poke.gif
Ferg
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 22 2009, 11:37 AM) *

QUOTE(Sleepin @ Oct 22 2009, 11:25 AM) *

the badge in my wallet helped me out with a verbal warning

You have a Slits fanclub badge too?

No seriously, what badge?

Cops around here are pretty cool, I have coffee with two of them most every week, neither could care less about no front plate on either porsche, and they even staged a fake photo opp with my buddy and his Lamborgini. They show up to my show, and one has a C3 vette that he's owned since high school.

Boulder cops, that's a different story...

Oh and to keep it semi on topic, I've been 58mph on a bicycle w00t.gif
SLITS
Professional Courtesy there Ahandie .... at least that's what the Blue Meanies call it.
WaideS
QUOTE(Sleepin @ Oct 22 2009, 12:25 PM) *

Was pulled over for doing 95 in a 40 zone once (not in a 914)...no ticket.... biggrin.gif .....the badge in my wallet helped me out with a verbal warning.

You mean the badge ON your wallet

IPB Image
aircooledtechguy
QUOTE(WaideS @ Oct 22 2009, 03:15 PM) *

You mean the badge ON your wallet

IPB Image

av-943.gif lol-2.gif
Sleepin
Wasn't nothing special....a Cracker Jack MP badge. I had my gunbelt in the back seat too (at least it was empty). I had two Maryland Stateys and two St. Mary's County Sheriffs parked behind me in no time. He basically asked me WTF and then suggested I slow down a bit. My buddy was in the passenger seat and was flipping out. After living in Southern Maryland for 36 years, he had never seen something like that.

It was fun....but stupid.
SLITS
Obviously a serious case of "That Guy Syndrome". beer3.gif
Sleepin
QUOTE(SLITS @ Oct 22 2009, 10:59 PM) *

Obviously a serious case of "That Guy Syndrome". beer3.gif

That might have had a little to do with it...... aktion035.gif

I did have that car up to 8200rpm in 5th....it would calculate to 153. Had I run it up to the 8450rpm limiter I would have topped it out at 157-158. Insane for a grocery getter!
MoveQik
132mph per the GPS. The car was idiotically(its a word in my world) light and unsafe feeling so I QUICKLY brought it back down to a reasonable 120ish. happy11.gif

In all seriousness, the car was SO not safe at that speed and I did quickly back down. Visibility was miles and miles of straight road with no traffic anywhere. However, a blowout or any other "issue" at that speed quickly becomes MUCH more serious. 132 is on the resume but I won't be heading there again any time soon. biggrin.gif
jt914-6
131 on a track, still climbing, ran out of road....Gearing on this car says aroung 155....

Click to view attachment
6freak
LIE`S I TELL YOU ALL LIE`S lol-2.gif

How about 154 on the back stretch at Portland in a 2008 Z-06 .......and that was just 4th gear ...........wwweeeeee
sixnotfour
Ralph says 170
I say US hwy 2 125 speedo 137
6freak
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Oct 23 2009, 08:48 PM) *

Ralph says 170
I say US hwy 2 125 speedo 137

thats my fav color on the right ......I would sand and paint mine if my paint wasnt so good Back to the show
john rogers
There is a black tube frame 914 for sale here in San Diego that is setup for a small block Chevy with NOS, 930 trans and has run 188 at the Salt. It comes with the wheels and tires needed to go that fast but no engine. The engine that was used was a 488 CU inch monster making about 800 to 900 HP when the NOS was on in 4th gear. The gearing was for 90 in 1st, 145 2nd, 185 3rd and 210 in 4th but it never got past 188 without spinning due to back end lift. Can't use a wing or any external stuff and then I told the owner about raising the rear of the Targa top to break the vacuum in back and he nearly cried! That would be one to satisfy anyone's need to go fast in a 914. It is posted through Black Forest at 858-292-1192, not sure how much though.
jsayre914
refreshed 1.8 w/ stock injection can hit 110 with no problem, i can proove it shades.gif
tavoman27
I had mine at 120MPH turn 1 at call speedway last year during PCA Festival of Speed parade lap!!!! got kicked out after that! ja.
Frodefe
An indicated 240 km/h (approx. 149 mph).
I guess 140 mph are more correct...

Click to view attachment
jimkelly
cops/pigs with their radar guns, hiding behind bushes, and dishing out speeding tickets for fun/revenue, knowing they will never receive one themselves, is the one thing that burns me up FAR BEYOND anything else. i will stop there. j

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 22 2009, 12:37 PM) *

QUOTE(Sleepin @ Oct 22 2009, 11:25 AM) *

the badge in my wallet helped me out with a verbal warning

Drums66
Hey....cops are cool(they are people too)But.....
getting out of wrong doing because you're a cop
is not.......I think that is what's meant??? idea.gif
Tom
In 1980 I had a 75 with 1.8 and western wheels. Don't remember tire size, but low profile. Anyway, on the way from San Diego to San Fran, I tried keeping up with a Mercedes turbo diesel on I-5 north of Bakersfield. My speedo indicated 130 for a couple of miles and the temp was creeping up and I couldn't afford the ticket, so I backed off. Kept with him until then,tho' Maybe he wasn't flat out?
Now 30 years later! I don't do that kind of risky activity anymore.
Getting ticketed for speeding is only going to get worse in the future. One of the reasons I decided to go with smaller profile tires (55's). A little better acceleration and yes the speedo is off, but I never need the top end anyway. Also cruising at a steady speed at a slightly higher RPM = more air flow to cool the engine.
Slight Hi-jack, sorry.
Tom
rfuerst911sc
I did a indicated 120 the other day in my 3.0 GT clone. I need to get my GPS in that car to see how accurate the speedometer is. Stock transmission to my knowledge with 245/45x16 tires. Surprisingly with no front valance it felt rock solid.
Downunderman
About 130 down the straight at Bathurst last weekend, but I was backing off well before the hump because it was getting a bit light.
RJMII
I hit about 5mph while it wasn't on jackstands... I think I pushed it faster going out of the driveway than back into the driveway. (downhill vs uphill) lol-2.gif
Porcharu
QUOTE(sww914 @ Oct 14 2009, 09:18 PM) *

Here's a good video of Bill Bodine (yes, those Bodines) at Willow. Turn 8 is at the bottom of the hill where he passes the black 914.
Watch the white 911 at the end of turn 2- OOPS!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4V7kKRDTPKI

It takes a while to learn to not lift in that corner, everything tells you that you're going too fast.

That is most certainly a 'pucker power' corner. I had trouble keeping the loud pedal flat in 5th in my old GTI track car. I kept imagining my car going left and flipping about 8 times.
Steve
Andyrew
Whatever 5.5k rpm's is in 5th gear on the 901.. Had the top off and the girlfriend in the car as well.
TC 914-8
QUOTE(messix @ Oct 15 2009, 12:03 AM) *

gps'd at 100 and still accelerating chasing down mikies six and dave raby monster on the flat on the mount baker run, just before we were three wide on a two lane.

[i wish there were photo evidence .... or maybe not!]

C'mon Troy, Tell them about when you did 110 in my car in 4th gear in I-90 at the WCR '08, peg'in the tach @7k.
gandalf_025
Back around 1986, A friend that bought a new 2nd Generation RX-7.
We were both driving down Rt 93 from Derry N.H. to Mass. He wanted to show me
how fast his new rotary was.. I had just put a 2.5 S/S in my 6 ..
Not sure exactly how fast we were going, But I pulled away from him with no problem. I was running over 7000 rpms in 5th ..
He was really not impressed his new wonder Car got beat by a 16 year old 914.

I ran that thing with no air cleaners and a set of headers that were a backup set for Ralph Meaneys 914-6 and a pair of straight through resonators.. Talk about loud..

Worst ticket was from Mass State Police in 1980 when I was trying to outrun a thunder storm on the CBX. I slowed down as I approached an underpass and sure enough they had a Radar Trap set up. Got me at 105, But because I stopped immediately, he wrote it up as 99. I told him Gee, thanks for the 6mph break. Cop next to him told me that over 100mph was Immediate Arrest for Driving to Endanger and tow the bike. Then I got the point.
Still have that ticket somewhere..
If I find it,I'll post it.
Now, clean record for at least 10 years..
Dave_Darling
Well, back in [long enough ago to be past the Statute of Limitations], I ran the 2.0 up the speedo as far as I could out on I-5 one morning. I got to 120 MPH indicated (took a looooooooooooooooong time to get past 105 MPH, and was probably actually somewhere near 110 at max) before a van pulled into my lane only doing about 70. He was at least a mile in front of me, but I still had to get on the brakes HARD!

Oh, yeah--that was with the top in the trunk, where it belongs! smile.gif

That kinda cured me of that particular madness.

--DD
Drums66
[quote name='jimkelly' date='Apr 10 2010, 12:34 PM' post='1301168']
cops/pigs with their radar guns, hiding behind bushes, and dishing out speeding tickets for fun/revenue, knowing they will never receive one themselves, is the one thing that burns me up FAR BEYOND anything else. i will stop there. j

Jim Kelly........I hear you!

Cheating is not cool either idea.gif popcorn[1].gif

914rat
QUOTE(Sleepin @ Oct 22 2009, 07:30 PM) *

Wasn't nothing special....a Cracker Jack MP badge. I had my gunbelt in the back seat too (at least it was empty). I had two Maryland Stateys and two St. Mary's County Sheriffs parked behind me in no time. He basically asked me WTF and then suggested I slow down a bit. My buddy was in the passenger seat and was flipping out. After living in Southern Maryland for 36 years, he had never seen something like that.

It was fun....but stupid.

St Mary's State Cop gave me a ticket cause it was raining and I was doing the speed limit on Rt. 5.How could you leave such a wonderful place? smile.gif
Drums66
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Apr 10 2010, 09:40 PM) *

Whatever 5.5k rpm's is in 5th gear on the 901.. Had the top off and the girlfriend in the car as well.

The only way to fly..... shades.gif smoke.gif
Drums66
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Apr 10 2010, 09:40 PM) *

..The only wav to fly!...... shades.gif smoke.gif
gandalf_025
I did find the ticket I mentioned.

Funny thing was that the bike was registered to my wife
through a P.O. Box in N.H. although we lived in Mass.
Also, she not only didn't have a N.H. Bike license,
she didn't have a N.H. CAR license either. They neglected to ask.
The reason for the N.H. registration..? They didn't require
any Insurance.. You were supposed to be able to post a
10,000.00 Bond in case of an accident, but they didn't ask.
So, the bike was registered to the wrong person, in the wrong State
and had no Insurance or Inspection Sticker.
Now, those were the Days....

Oh, yeah.. Names deleted to protect the "then young and stupid"...

Click to view attachment
campbellcj
My car is gearing limited to between 128-133mph depending where the rev limiter is set. I will try to get a GPS reading at the track in a few weeks to see if I actually hit that and how close my Excel spreadsheet is.
QUOTE(sww914 @ Oct 14 2009, 07:05 PM) *

138, turn 8 at Willow Springs. RPM's topped out at 7500 with an X 5th gear. I wouldn't want to go any faster with this size of tires through that corner, it creeps around a lot at that speed.
The engine's a carbed 2056 with bigger or lighter everything.

Steve,

138 on turn 8...you got some big ones pray.gif
Joe Ricard
Had to concentrate to steady it at 100 longenough to snap the pic. cruised that wat way for quite awhile.
Drums66
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Apr 13 2010, 05:39 AM) *

Had to concentrate to steady it at 100 longenough to snap the pic. cruised that wat way for quite awhile.

Leave it to Joe!..awesome! laugh.gif
(please don't do that again....I like having you around!) biggrin.gif
Madswede
QUOTE(budman5201 @ Oct 14 2009, 07:31 PM) *

whats the fastest someone has been in their stock or modified 914?

Back when she was running, my '73 (de-modified with a 2.0 bus motor) topped the charts at 126. bs.gif

Kilometers per hour. dry.gif

Down a steep hill. lol-2.gif

With a tail wind. av-943.gif

And different wheels/tires (cookies instead of old 4-bolt Fuchs) confused24.gif

I took a cell phone picture of it, somewhere.

Yeah, I had that kinda time. Hey ho. Soon, someday, that will not be the case!

- Nelson
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(SLITS @ Oct 14 2009, 07:56 PM) *

126 in a stock /4 measured by GPS.

I remember that trip. Hell...we were ALL doing 126 that day. driving.gif aktion035.gif w00t.gif
ChrisFoley
I was just talking with Ed today about setting the bar for you guys at 140 but I'm not sure I have the balls to do it in a customer's car.
I've been driving my 1.7L up to 90 both on the highway, and on the 45mph road to my home, rather routinely of late and that's pretty easy but...
I'm not too comfortable with the thought of passing cars at double their speed so I would need an empty stretch of road and probably a lead car.
I took the 3.6 to 125 last year when the engine wasn't running right so I know it wouldn't take long to reach a buck forty.
The speedo is 99.9% accurate, verified by GPS and I would have a cameraman with me for proof. I'll have the car for a few more days...we'll see. driving.gif
championgt1
Do it! driving.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.