Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Max Speed? 132 mph so far
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
budman5201
I just raced a new boxster and blew him out of the water on the 101 freeway(4 lane dead quiet) last night......looked down and 132 mph on my speedo. Holy SHHH****. That has to be the fastest that i have ever been. driving.gif

SO guys I only have 252 hp (ej20 subie td05 turbo), whats the fastest someone has been in their stock or modified 914?

Dyno video : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HCGkJcaA_c
SGB
QUOTE(budman5201 @ Oct 14 2009, 08:31 PM) *

SO guys I only have 252 hp...

Only a 1.7, eh?

poke.gif
RJMII
I"ve had mine up to 90... but it only took 6 seconds to get there. confused24.gif
jimkelly
you selling??

how are your emissions??

jim
URY914
Some may say that 132 mph is a wee bit too fast for a public street.
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(URY914 @ Oct 14 2009, 09:30 PM) *

Some say that 132 mph is a wee bit too fast for a public street.

But all we know is that they call him The Stig!

Zach
SLITS
126 in a stock /4 measured by GPS.
Gint
105-ish in my 2056 zambeziteen. And that was fast enough in a 914.
sww914
138, turn 8 at Willow Springs. RPM's topped out at 7500 with an X 5th gear. I wouldn't want to go any faster with this size of tires through that corner, it creeps around a lot at that speed.
The engine's a carbed 2056 with bigger or lighter everything.
PeeGreen 914
My speedo doesn't read right but according to it I was going 140ish. I would bet that is around 125 or so.
tracks914
108 (on speedo) in my 1.7, once. Haven't had it above 70 since. Street racing laws are too steep up here.
I did do 140 on a friends R1 a few weeks ago.(3rd gear half throttle and only 8500rpm out of 14,000rpm.) [he says the bike will do 138mph in second gear at 14,000. with a top speed of 188mph]
Give me a week with that bike and I'd love to see if I could hit the 300km/h or 188mph mark.
iamchappy
I think Bill told me in his LS6 monster he had it north of 165 with the 930 transmission, I could be wrong he may of said 185 w00t.gif
montoya 73 2.0
Had my stock 2.0 to 95 on a nice flat, straight country road where I live. Nothing but cows and Peacocks. Yes, Peacocks! A guy up the road from me raises them. there all over the damn place around here!
iamchappy
I never have looked at the speedo when hitting 6800 redline in 5th with a Z gear for the final drive, i've only looked after i have hit the brakes and already started slowing down and then it was around 120.
carr914
According to J.C. France, I was doing 190, but he was all Coked up, so what does he know.
budman5201
Haha, Nope Jim not selling. What would i do with all my time then? Always something to work on. smile.gif love it.

Holy cow, 138 through a turn??? I couldnt imagine that. Reality hit, after i slowed down. I couldnt imagine a wreck or even someone turning into my lane. That would be death I am sure! Unless it was at the Flats where i have about half a mile to lose control and not hit anything.
sww914
Here's a good video of Bill Bodine (yes, those Bodines) at Willow. Turn 8 is at the bottom of the hill where he passes the black 914.
Watch the white 911 at the end of turn 2- OOPS!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4V7kKRDTPKI

It takes a while to learn to not lift in that corner, everything tells you that you're going too fast.
nsr-jamie
my best top speed in my 1.7 was 110 MPH downhill with the top off and that was kindy of scary considering I have gone a lot faster than that on motorcycles.
orange914
QUOTE(montoya 73 2.0 @ Oct 14 2009, 08:25 PM) *

Had my stock 2.0 to 95 on a nice flat, straight country road where I live. Nothing but cows and Peacocks. Yes, Peacocks! A guy up the road from me raises them. there all over the damn place around here!

i've only had the experiance of hitting a chicken at high speed, i can't imagine the colorful display a peacock would do driving.gif happy11.gif
bandjoey
Ok you all have the right to remain silent...OOPPS>>>you already forgot to do that! beer.gif

125 in a stock '70 - 914-6
BMXerror
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Oct 14 2009, 07:47 PM) *

Zach

av-943.gif OMG... Am I the only one that got that? sad.gif
Mark D.
Cupomeat
Nope, I bet a lot of the people here have seen Top Gear.

As for my top speed, I once got my 1.8 75 up to 120 indicated, but it was on a good downhill stretch. Otherwise, she won't go faster than 105.
campbellcj
My car is gearing limited to the low 130's, depending which wheels/tires are on. I have hit that a number of times, at the track of course.
Sleepin
I had 104 on my GPS in the stock 1.8 on a long downhill straight coming back from Route 66 '09 (trying to shake the sand out). oops...I mean on a track somewhere... lol-2.gif

Pretty amazing if you look at going that speed in any other 70's car. The 914 still feels solid and straight....a little light in the front end though.
byndbad914
QUOTE(iamchappy @ Oct 14 2009, 07:16 PM) *

I think Bill told me in his LS6 monster he had it north of 165 with the 930 transmission, I could be wrong he may of said 185 w00t.gif

yeah, he had been up in the 170s at a track near him, I have been about 160-ish when I lived in SoCal on the front stretch of Willow Springs, a bit less thru T8, around 140-ish (speeds were calc'd based on tire diam, engine rpm, so forth which is why I say -ish) but I didn't have the wing before I moved. With a wing I expected more around 155-160 in T8, Roger Sheridan is around 155 going into T9.

I think it was Brainerd with Bill - I have considered trailering there or Miller in Utah (closer) for the really long stretch, but last winter changed the gearbox to lowering gearing where I will top out at 155mph with the large diam rears, the 930 box I didn't shift to 4th until 140mph biggrin.gif
john rogers
My race car did 138 at the CA Speedway by GPS which was a Garmin bouncing around behind my seat. That was 8000 RPM with a "V" 5th gear and a 2.2L six coming out of NASCAR turn 2 and it scared the hell out me 'cause you have to brake shortly for the turn 3 left hander! If I remember I was hot on the heels of Topper Chassie in his 914?!
messix
gps'd at 100 and still accelerating chasing down mikies six and dave raby monster on the flat on the mount baker run, just before we were three wide on a two lane.

[i wish there were photo evidence .... or maybe not!]
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(BMXerror @ Oct 14 2009, 09:35 PM) *

Zach

Mark D.

I think most of us got that wink.gif
messix
QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Oct 15 2009, 12:24 AM) *

QUOTE(BMXerror @ Oct 14 2009, 09:35 PM) *

Zach

Mark D.

I think most of us got that wink.gif

yup me too!
Todd Enlund
I got mine up to 45 one day... but it was on a trailer.
jt914-6
My max speed on the track with newly built conversion six 3.0......131mph. GPS used. Speedo said 140+, but we all know changing tire/wheel size from stock throws it off. Probably had about the same top speed at Road Atlanta in the past...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrBF96dT6uk
TravisG
A little new to this, but I got to 112 with about 1500 rpms left to go (stock speedo), run out of road, had to start braking. The car felt tight and glued to the ground.

2.0 with euro pistons and dual weber 40 idfs.

Some Say....... I got it to. Monday nights BBC America aktion035.gif
Cupomeat
On the non-914 front, I saw 145 at Pocono in my 993 (in the rain, backstraight into the bowl) and 140 somewhere else in my Corrado SLC.

After the 145 at Pocono I really started to rethink about improving the safety equipment on my 993 as your mortality become VERY clear. Probably not as clear as it would be on a public road, but very clear...
turboman808
I have never gone above 60. You guys are maniacs!
6freak
QUOTE(messix @ Oct 15 2009, 12:03 AM) *

gps'd at 100 and still accelerating chasing down mikies six and dave raby monster on the flat on the mount baker run, just before we were three wide on a two lane.

I let you catch up!and that stock six was even pulling away from Greenies Raby idea.gif ...3 wide on north I-5 two lane ...aaahhh that wasnt me shades.gif you cant prove nothing ...............................P.S for all you guys think`n 3 wide at 100 on I-5 ..thats not the case ,we did slow down before Troy decided he was at Daytona and wanted to make it 3 wide ..woulda been a cool picture
computers4kids
I was going 80 once with my 914 on a trailer trying to keep up with Mike's 6 who supposedly was leading the caravan pack to the WCR in Irvine in that lovely traffic. I soon realized I was outmatched. mad.gif

According to my dyno and gearing with a 5th H gear, I should be able to do 168. However, I never go over 100. driving.gif ...I enjoy life too much.
6freak
QUOTE(computers4kids @ Oct 15 2009, 08:00 AM) *

I was going 80 once with my 914 on a trailer trying to keep up with Mike's 6 who supposedly was leading the caravan pack to the WCR in Irvine in that lovely traffic. I soon realized I was outmatched. mad.gif

According to my dyno and gearing with a 5th H gear, I should be able to do 168. However, I never go over 100. driving.gif ...I enjoy life too much.

not me mine was in the trailer as well ...remember we ended up take`n the same exit .......That was a FUCK`N joke ..I`m not sure Cali folks understand that a 55' truck and trailer doesnt get through the traffic like a nine14 chair.gif ...At the end of that little stint i was ready to choke someone,so i took a shot of my Crown Royal beer3.gif .............................120maybe, only cause i had some fuck`n State trooper chase`n me ..I never look at the speedo,,, and if you do ,do you reallize how far you have traveled without seeing the road ...I could be wrong but i think that at 60MPH when you look down at the speedo "focus" and the look back up you have traveled over 100 feet without even seeing the road ,,AT 120 thats easly double if not tripled
jsayre914
110 on a straight flat in my stock 2.0, confirmd with Zach's GPS. but that motor was tired and is currently being built up to a 2056.
driving.gif
maxwelj
140 + indicated on the autobahn (so I was legal, if not smart) near Kaiserslautern in 1971. Car went faster in 4th than in fifth. Stock 6
jimkelly
i guess i have been to 90 in 4th gear - but can't prove it : ))

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9viaGK6NA7M
messix
QUOTE(6freak @ Oct 15 2009, 07:53 AM) *

QUOTE(messix @ Oct 15 2009, 12:03 AM) *

I let you catch up!and that stock six was even pulling away from Greenies Raby idea.gif ...3 wide on north I-5 two lane ...aaahhh that wasnt me shades.gif you cant prove nothing ...............................P.S for all you guys think`n 3 wide at 100 on I-5 ..thats not the case ,we did slow down before Troy decided he was at Daytona and wanted to make it 3 wide ..woulda been a cool picture

thats right it was curt not dave! [the gray hair memory leak] dave prolly would left you were standing still.
daytona? i don't know what your talking about! there was about a foot or two between us!
nick mironov
153 mph.

But it was strapped down to a dynomometer.

SBC 283, about 6,200 rpm.

Nick
hcdmueller
GPS said 130mph on the autobahn outside of Kaiserslautern with a stock 76 2.0. It started getting pretty floaty at that speed.
jimkelly
too late : ) i already mailed you a deposit : ))

--

QUOTE(budman5201 @ Oct 14 2009, 08:58 PM) *

Haha, Nope Jim not selling. What would i do with all my time then? Always something to work on. smile.gif love it.

DBCooper
106 in the quarter, in 4th and still a LOT left. I've gone faster but the speedo got to retirement age, so that's the only legitimate number I have.
Cap'n Krusty
About 600 knots, BEFORE the pilot let me put the throttle at "Full Military Power". F-100F. Back in the late 60s, that was pretty fast. Now, not so much.

The Cap'n
underthetire
even 100 on mine. Whehooo let the rust fly !
147 in my mustang GT, never do that again !

Had a top of the rear strut come out doing 90 on HWY 5. Ended ok though.
jsayre914
QUOTE(jsayre914 @ Oct 15 2009, 01:00 PM) *

110 on a straight flat in my stock 2.0, confirmd with Zach's GPS. but that motor was tired and is currently being built up to a 2056.
driving.gif

I also lost half of my windshield trim on that adventure. still looking for replcment trim to this day.

at that speed, these cars start comming apart wacko.gif
Ferg
109 in my old six conversion (2.7) on the 15 according to one of Nevada's finest in a Z28 Camaro Pursuit huh.gif I was on the coast down at that point, betting I saw better of 120.

Asked me to step out of the vehicle, and put me in his back seat, after paperwork checked out (I had just bought it, expired CA tags and a signed title and my proof of Insurance is all I had) He asked me what I had under the hood, we walked over, and I showed him.

He said slow it down a bit and have a good trip, no ticket w00t.gif
MikeSpraggi
Speedo showed 125 on the back straight at Watkins Glen just before the bustop. Probably more like 115 but can't prove it. Stock 2.2 /6.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYAwJsuzTBo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2qAnY2L3SY&NR=1
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.