Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: It seems my fecal touch continues....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jakeodoule
After getting my used gearbox in and going for a nice long drive. It started sounding bad.. It sounds like shit and if you turn the heat on you get dizzy and then sleepy wacko.gif yellowsleep[1].gif
I figured I just had an exhaust leak or a bolt came loose. But after inspecting I found no bolts loose, and the heat exchangers and heater ducts are all sooty. Fired it up without the J pipe and the exhaust comes out the exchanger...
Can those be repaired? Anyone had any luck taking them apart and welding up the pipe? Then re welding the SS cover back together?

I think this car hates me.
All I ever did to it was restore it after it sat for 10 plus years.....

dakotaewing
QUOTE(Jakeodoule @ Oct 16 2009, 11:11 PM) *

After getting my used gearbox in and going for a nice long drive. It started sounding bad.. It sounds like shit and if you turn the heat on you get dizzy and then sleepy wacko.gif yellowsleep[1].gif
I figured I just had an exhaust leak or a bolt came loose. But after inspecting I found no bolts loose, and the heat exchangers and heater ducts are all sooty. Fired it up without the J pipe and the exhaust comes out the exchanger...
Can those be repaired? Anyone had any luck taking them apart and welding up the pipe? Then re welding the SS cover back together?

I think this car hates me.
All I ever did to it was restore it after it sat for 10 plus years.....

Jake -
What type heat exchangers do you have..???
Varies by motor...
Jakeodoule
[/quote]

Jake -
What type heat exchangers do you have..???
Varies by motor...
[/quote]

The car is a 76 2.0 But I have 74 SS exchangers I think.
They have the 2 pipes out the back that connect with the muffler. The muffler flange has 3 bolts.

Click to view attachment
tradisrad
those are the 1.7/1.8 heat exchangers. I think they have the same diameter as the 2.0 HEs, but they kick up top meet the muffler. The 2.0 are straight.
IronHillRestorations
Those heat exchangers are now officially JUNK! Do not repair them!!!
Dr Evil
Dont repair. You can get another set pretty easily. Dont die.
SLITS
Which side has the leak?
Jakeodoule
QUOTE(SLITS @ Oct 17 2009, 07:55 AM) *

Which side has the leak?

Drivers side.

SLITS
QUOTE(Jakeodoule @ Oct 17 2009, 08:08 AM) *

QUOTE(SLITS @ Oct 17 2009, 07:55 AM) *

Which side has the leak?

Drivers side.

I'll look and get back to you.
SLITS
Ok, I have a driver's side SS heat exchanger ... If you need it .... PM me.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.