Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What should I use to hold up the trunk
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
PanelBilly
Once before I tried to install the rods that hold up the rear trunk and I gave up. Now the truck is all ready to install and I need to decide which way to go. I assume if I'm going to use the rods that they need to be installed before the trunk.

If I go with the gas lift, what's my best choice?
tat2dphreak
shocks = Camp914

I actually really like the stock torsion bars tho. just my opinion
pcar9146guy
AIR recomended NOT to use the stock springs on their fiberglass rear deck lid. I'm sure you're using the stock lid. I'm using the Camp shock kit and it works well. Had to cut a little out for shock clearance. It sure beats the broom handle...
IronHillRestorations
Is this a four or a six? On some six converisons it's much easier to go with the strut kit.

I'm with Wayne on keeping the stock rear torsion springs for most applications. You've got to keep the pivot shoulder bolts lubricated though. I do a simple mod on the shoulder bolts so you can grease them.

From what I've seen of James West's rear pivot kit, it could make it easier to keep the stock rear springs. If your pivot brackets are weak or stress cracked the pressure of the stock springs will eventually make them fail.
tat2dphreak
yea, I installed the Jwest kit, too... great product and you can really dial in the trunk fit.
VaccaRabite
I like the shocks.
Of course, before I installed them, I was using a putter to keep the trunk open...

I dislike the torsion springs though. Greatly dislike them.

Zach
rjames
I installed the Jwest kit, too... great product and you can really dial in the trunk fit.

agree.gif

I installed the Jwest kit as well. Great product! I like the cleaner stock look without the shocks.
Pat Garvey
You don't have to guess which ones I support. And, they have supported my 914 trouble-free for 37 years.

I'd rather replace the torsion bars/rollers every 40 years than those damned failure prone shocks every 2-3 years.

Besides, it ain't Factory.
Pat
biosurfer1
I have the gas shocks from camp 914 waiting to be put in...only thing that holds me back is the photocopy of the photocopy of the photocopy of the original instructions. Really tough to read and would have expected better. It's no that tough to take some pictures and re-type the instructions into Word.
number6
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Oct 18 2009, 06:59 PM) *

I'd rather replace the torsion bars/rollers every 40 years than those damned failure prone shocks every 2-3 years.

My CAMP kit was going on 7 years trouble-free when I sold my yellow car, for those who may be concerned about longevity.

I like the shocks for the reduced weight and seemingly less stress on some of the weaker points. Plus, the mod is easily reversible, especially if you opt to bolt on instead of weld.
number6
QUOTE(biosurfer1 @ Oct 18 2009, 07:09 PM) *

I have the gas shocks from camp 914 waiting to be put in...only thing that holds me back is the photocopy of the photocopy of the photocopy of the original instructions. Really tough to read and would have expected better. It's no that tough to take some pictures and re-type the instructions into Word.

Brett, you should just ask Craig (or search here) for photos of installed kits - I've seen a few different approaches, each with its own pros and cons. You don't need no stinkin' instructions smile.gif smash.gif
IronHillRestorations
Ask Ed Viella for a copy of those instruction, after all he's the guy who wrote them!
biosurfer1
I'm sure I can figure out how to install them from pics/threads here on the site, but the point is, is it so hard to provide clear instructions for a retail kit?

QUOTE(number6 @ Oct 18 2009, 09:48 PM) *

QUOTE(biosurfer1 @ Oct 18 2009, 07:09 PM) *

Brett, you should just ask Craig (or search here) for photos of installed kits - I've seen a few different approaches, each with its own pros and cons. You don't need no stinkin' instructions smile.gif smash.gif

burton73
QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Oct 17 2009, 09:53 PM) *

yea, I installed the Jwest kit, too... great product and you can really dial in the trunk fit.

Is this in all directions? I had a glass lid that needed a move to one side to get a perfect gap?
pcar916
I like a stick... it's light and I'm a simple fellow.
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(pcar916 @ Oct 19 2009, 02:44 PM) *

I like a stick... it's light and I'm a simple fellow.

agree.gif Sticks are much better. Put a rubber nub on both ends and it works perfect. beerchug.gif
tat2dphreak
QUOTE(burton73 @ Oct 19 2009, 03:50 PM) *

QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Oct 17 2009, 09:53 PM) *

Is this in all directions? I had a glass lid that needed a move to one side to get a perfect gap?

between the pivot kit and your normal hinges, you can move in almost all directions.

including up and down for perfect level sitting of the trunk.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.