Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: backdating bumpers question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rfuerst911sc
I have a 1975 chassis that I'm backdating the bumpers to early style. I have the new bumper holes drilled no problem. The question I have is regarding the front bumper " lip " that I guess I have to remove ? This " lip " is where the ugly rubber cover slid over. So first question is I do have to remove this lip correct ? Assuming I do I believe I need to use a spot weld bit to drill out the spot welds ? I've never used one of these can someone give me a quick walk thru on these ? Is it as simple as drilling them out ? I know I should " search " but I'm at work most of today and they frown on too much 914 content biggrin.gif .
Sleepin
I just trimmed mine off with a 3" cutting wheel.
greenie
QUOTE(rfuerst911sc @ Oct 18 2009, 04:20 AM) *

I have a 1975 chassis that I'm backdating the bumpers to early style. I have the new bumper holes drilled no problem. The question I have is regarding the front bumper " lip " that I guess I have to remove ? This " lip " is where the ugly rubber cover slid over. So first question is I do have to remove this lip correct ? Assuming I do I believe I need to use a spot weld bit to drill out the spot welds ? I've never used one of these can someone give me a quick walk thru on these ? Is it as simple as drilling them out ? I know I should " search " but I'm at work most of today and they frown on too much 914 content biggrin.gif .

I'm also backdating a 75...

Yes you need to remove the lip.

I bought a spotweld removal tool, about $15.00.

You center punch the spotweld so the pilot on the tool doesn't walk, then just drill through the attached piece you want to remove. Only drill to the point of breaking out the piece from the weld, you will be left with a spotweld slug you grind off.

Simple as pie. beerchug.gif
messix
i did mine in a hotel parking lot with a 3" cut off wheel.
rfuerst911sc
I went to Harbor Freight and bought a spot welder cutter/bit for $4.99. Worked great but I got a little aggressive on some of them dry.gif . Anyway I got the lip off and I'm moving forward with the bumper install. Thanks guys beer.gif
Mikey914
The rear bumper also has a suport that welds onto the body for the center above the licence plate. I can produce mine with out the mount if you don't want it.
Sleepin
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Oct 18 2009, 07:24 PM) *

The rear bumper also has a suport that welds onto the body for the center above the licence plate. I can produce mine with out the mount if you don't want it.

That is good to know! When I order my rear pad from you I will be sure to specify. I am currently running mine without a support.
Mikey914
The suport still runds across the other two corneres, it just dosen't have a mounting stud, but I think you got the idea.
oldschool
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Oct 19 2009, 12:44 AM) *

The suport still runds across the other two corneres, it just dosen't have a mounting stud, but I think you got the idea.

So to back date what do I need welder.gif and does any on have some photos of the work. I also have a 75 O wait are we talking 914 or 911 confused24.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.