Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Please help/ need advice
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ILM914
Hi All: I am taking my car apart and have found some rust holes along the bottom of the inner Rocker panel inside the car. They are about an inch and some smaller. On the same side there are some small holes in the floorpan that I think can be treated and sealed with POR 15 which I plan to use throughout the car. I also found water around the Pedal cluster, where is that coming in from? Anyway, any advise on this is greatly appreciated. I am trying to not go through the whole cut the entire rocker/s out and weld in new one's until the car frame gets really bad. Right now the car seems pretty structurally sound. Perhaps I can cut out a little more around the rust to give me getter acess to treat inside the rocker, then weld sheet metal or fiberglass patch the opening? Or maybe just leave it open?

Oh there is also a small rust hole all the way through the driver side sail panel under where the side vinyl sticks on. I can't get to the inner part to treat it with POR-15, just the outside. Any sugestions on the best way to treat this area?

Thank you for the help, Joe
914Sixer
Most of your questions can be answered in the classic threads about doing each of the different rust repairs. Water usually comes in from bad gaskets including the top, front windshield, rear window.
SirAndy
QUOTE(ILM914 @ Oct 18 2009, 04:09 PM) *

I can't get to the inner part to treat it with POR-15

POR-15 is NOT a rust treatment ... shades.gif

All it will do is seal the rust. For a while.
popcorn[1].gif Andy
ME733
popcorn[1].gif .The lead in to.......Water at the foot pedal cluster.....(referance is my car is a 1973)... upon hand washing my car , that has always been garaged, ...I was looking for pooled water areas ,,,(anywhere)..to assist me in finding rusty areas, or , problem areas or places that needed attention when drying the car.....I noticed under the front hood, drivers side, outtermost corner of the upper sheetmetal, right at and above the inner fenderwell ....a depression....and right above it were two open holes to the inner fenderwell.( drivers side),..the standing dusty water clued me in to how deep this "puddle" was and how much dirt, dust, and grime had built up over the years... THIS AREA is right above and just offset slightly to the left of the pedal cluster.(again this is the inner trunk sheetmetal that makes up the front firewall.)...I COULD see that if this area were to be ignored and a pinhole or rust hole were to develope ; water would drip right toward the left side of the pedal cluster......In my case , even tho the rubber trunk seal is good, water came in from INSIDE the left front fenderwell ( I washed the car all over ,from top to bottom)......from the damn holes, which were factory placed.( maybe for airconditioning??)....anyway...this is an area to check as I can see it could be a rust problem , and would put water into the drivers compartment if not recognized...I cleaned up the area down to the paint...(no rust).. plugged the holes with rubber gromets, and a generious coating of black silicone sealant)... popcorn[1].gif
ILM914
Thanks how do I get to classic threads, I coudn't see it anywhere, Thank you, Joe
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.