Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My outside driver's door mirror mount is toast
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
URY914
The after market mirror (Baby Tornado) broke off the other day on my daily driver. So I sourced a OEM mirror from TC. I got home and figured this would be a 30 install back to original condition. But nooooooooooooooooo

One of the several previous owners decided to totally screw up the original mounting holes by drilling out the threads in the door. mad.gif screwy.gif

Now what in the hell do I do to fix this? confused24.gif

I don't want to tap what is left as I would need to drill the holes in the mirror base larger and use different screws.

I'm thinking of takng 6mm nuts and filing them down and pushing/beating them into the holes. smash.gif

I also need to fill the 1/4" holes left over from the other mirror and of course I need to clean up the rust that has started.

The shit that you find as you work on these cars.... headbang.gif

KELTY360

slap.gif

We need a DAPO smilie!
GeorgeRud
You should be able to repair the drilled holes by using rivet nuts. Try searching on the McMaster-Carr website and you should be able to find them. There is a tool that's necessary to insert them, but it's also available through them.

There are also other threaded inserts that should work (Helicoils, Timeserts, etc.)

URY914
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Oct 19 2009, 07:15 PM) *

You should be able to repair the drilled holes by using rivet nuts. Try searching on the McMaster-Carr website and you should be able to find them. There is a tool that's necessary to insert them, but it's also available through them.

There are also other threaded inserts that should work (Helicoils, Timeserts, etc.)

But they have to be flush with the surface of the door for the mirror to mount properly.
GeorgeRud
The gasket should take up some of the distance. Otherwise, the helicoils can be turned in to be flush with the surface.

I had to use some to repair a stripped thread on my mirror.
URY914
I'll look in to it, thanks
yeahmag
I'd vote for rivnuts too. I love them...
yeahmag
I'd vote for rivnuts too. I love them...
URY914
You love them 2x
yeahmag
I've been told if I love them 3x I'd have to marry them...
SirAndy
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Oct 19 2009, 06:28 PM) *

The gasket should take up some of the distance. Otherwise, the helicoils can be turned in to be flush with the surface.

agree.gif We use them and threaded inserts all the time on the green racecar.

The top part is thinner than the gasket that comes with your mirror ...
shades.gif Andy
type47
Why couldn't you use a washer and a nut or combinations of them from the inner door side? Longer screws (flat head phillips) are available at local hardware stores.
URY914
QUOTE(type47 @ Oct 20 2009, 06:26 AM) *

Why couldn't you use a washer and a nut or combinations of them from the inner door side? Longer screws (flat head phillips) are available at local hardware stores.

I'll have to see if I can get up in the inside. It is just that it is behind the window guide which will make it tough. I'll see if I can do this first.
FourBlades

Weld up all the holes. Redrill the holes you want and retap.

John
URY914
Anyone remember the "Wordless Workshop" that used to be in the old Popular Mechanics magazines? The just used drawings to show a problem and a quick simple solution. They did it like a comic book with six boxes on a page.
I'll do it with three pictures........

URY914
drunk.gif

carr914
clap23.gif
tracks914
Go down to your local scrap yard and get a set of mid 90's Olds 98 mirrors.
The gaskets will cover those holes and you will have a nice updated look to your car with only a little more work than you are talking about here.
Olds Mirror Conversion.
campbellcj
I just did the same thing (ditched the bulky Vitaloni's) and fortunately my threads were OK, just clogged with paint. However now I have the ugly holes in the door to close up. For now I just painted some little rubber body plugs and used those. On balance I've probably filled as many holes in this darn car as I've drilled myself...the joy of PO's.
jk76.914
QUOTE(URY914 @ Oct 20 2009, 10:39 PM) *

drunk.gif

You can get oval head stainless screws at McMaster-Carr for a stock look, and for cheap. (20mm long are $7.85 for 25: http://www.mcmaster.com/#90258a288/=45lk6h )

I had to do this on my passenger side, because when I drilled to add a mirror, I munged up the threads on one hole. So I got the McMaster screws, with washer and the self-locking nuts).
URY914
I can get stainless steel 1/4" screws at any marine supply store down here. Florida has them every mile or so.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.