Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 turbo or twin torbo ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
glenn87
i have just bought a kit car with a 914 motor do not know any thing about it i will pick up 10/24 09 my question is can i put a turbo or because it has duel carbs a twin turbo set up ? and second what kind of horsepower/ tourque numbers can i get from this motor ? thanks for helping a newbie
Mark Henry
782bhp for 3.2 seconds blowup.gif

Can't turbo a 914....biggrin.gif

welcome.png
glenn87
why not ? i dont know anything about thes motors. i know you can do a vw . i do have a lot of room behind motor as its a kit car

IPB Image
type47
What you have is a little bit different than a TypeIV motor in a 914. We/they say "you can't turbo a 914" mostly as a tongue in cheek inside joke. With a 914, there is no easy fit of the turbo and all the associated plumbing and some sort of induction style (carbs? EFI?) due to the mid engine placement. In your pic, you have a "tail dragger"/rear engine so you are not looking to "turbo a 914", you're looking to turbo a TIV located as a rear engine and I think it will be fairly easy to do your situation due to engine location. Still, since it's not a TypeI, you will be going into some uncharted territory and may have a bit more fabrication than a typeI. Keep us informed about your project....

PS: where in VA are you?
ottox914
See the links in my sig.

It CAN be done but not easily.

Buy and read: Maximum boost, by corky bell.

Do plenty of research and good luck!
Mark Henry
Ya I was being a dick.....up at 4am does that to you.

Can be done, has been done, you have to fab and research every last detail. Not a huge knowledge base and support compared to the type 1.
Type 4 there are many issues to overcome and it's not cheap.

Type 1 is way easier to turbo and to me a better choice.

Lot's of reading and searching to do.
good luck!
glenn87
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Oct 20 2009, 09:19 AM) *

Ya I was being a dick.....up at 4am does that to you.

Can be done, has been done, you have to fab and research every last detail. Not a huge knowledge base and support compared to the type 1.
Type 4 there are many issues to overcome and it's not cheap.

Type 1 is way easier to turbo and to me a better choice.

Lot's of reading and searching to do.
good luck!

thanks all i also have kelmark chassie with olds 455 motor i may be able to use i'll see witch is cheaper
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.