Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need some experts on engines
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Gigamight
So I'm searching for a 911 motor, and I come across an 84 and they want $400 for the motor.. woohoo right? Wellllll, they say someone put a 4 cyl "older vw motor in it". So what would anyone in their right mind put in a 911 that is an older 4 cyl vw motor? And is it possible that it could be worth anything? There is nobody in the place that knows anything about the motor.
tat2dphreak
engine craps out, you'll put anything in there to keep running. and you can get 200hp VW engines, if you are willing to rebuild once a year or less.. type 1 engines CAN produce hp... for a while. and they are generally "cheap" to rebuild. I'd venture you can rebuild a type 1 150hp engine 3-4 times for the price of a 911 rebuild from a good mechanic.

would I do it? no. if I was going to put a type 1 in something to get it going I'd have been driving my 914 before now.

another possibility is they "think" it's an old vw motor and it's actually a 912 or 356 engine. at first glance under the hood they can be confused... people see the dog house and scream VW.

btw, I'm not an expert on anything but goofing off.
VaccaRabite
Huh. I was going to say it might be a 912E that came with a T4 until I re-read the post and saw it was an 84....

Well, I guess I said it anyway, didn't I.

Zach
Mark Henry
My type one 2.0 Berg engine (120hp) has been chuging along for the last 18years and 70k miles..... I've pulled my 914 with it.

IPB Image
I bet it's got a WC engine in it biggrin.gif
type47
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Oct 20 2009, 09:06 AM) *

My type one 2.0 Berg engine (120hp) has been chuging along for the last 18years and 70k miles..... I've pulled my 914 with it.

IPB Image

sorry to hijack, but that is the ultimate picture! pray.gif
bandjoey
Sorry, but the Ultimate picture would have the 914 on jackstands on the trailer! (on the way to pick up mama from prison, etc, etc)
biggrin.gif Bill
zymurgist
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Oct 20 2009, 02:29 PM) *

(on the way to pick up mama from prison, etc, etc)

David Allen Coe FTMFW!
davep
It could be a 25 HP type 1, but until you get a serial # it could be anything.
Gigamight
QUOTE(davep @ Oct 20 2009, 03:54 PM) *

It could be a 25 HP type 1, but until you get a serial # it could be anything.

You're right, I need to get the serial from these guys. They are whining that "it's all wrapped up....." I'm thinking they don't want to sell the thing.

At this point, I'm thinking it could be darn near anything.

Heck, my car came with a type 3 that just wasn't hooked up.

Thanks guys.
tat2dphreak
the number only tells you anything if it's built "stock" too...
GeorgeRud
BTW, that combination was done by Porsche when they built the original 912 and later the 912E.

It won't be fast, but should be OK as a nice cruiser. Just think of it as a reversed engine swap.
SLITS
A few people I know pulled the 912 engine (not the 912E) and replaced it with a Type 1 or a Type 4. The 912 didn't have enough to get out of it's own way.

They always kept the original 356/912 engine for purists.
tat2dphreak
agree.gif type 1 and the 356/912 engine aren't the same, but I've seen people put a type 1 in their place.
Gigamight
Just for the record, I have a great 1.8 that I got from etcmss, but I am looking for a project engine to build up for an upgrade later down the line.

So anyways, out of curiosity, what other engines from what models will bolt up? I want to stay in the Porsche family, but I don't want to re-invent the car to make it work.

tat2dphreak
define "bolt up"?

any type 4 will bolt up, any 6 up to a 3.2 (I think) will bolt up with a 6 conversion.

type 1 could be made to work, but why?

other than that you gotta go wasserpumper... which is SO not in the family biggrin.gif

want easy bolt on hp? build that 1.8 into something with a Jake kit, or a McMark 2056.. hows that for keeping it in the family biggrin.gif
SLITS
QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Oct 20 2009, 07:50 PM) *

define "bolt up"?

any type 4 will bolt up, any 6 up to a 3.2 (I think) will bolt up with a 6 conversion.

The clutch and input spline can the problem with early Flat Sixes. Flat Sixes From '72 up, the input splining and diameter was changed for the 915 tranny. They also went from 215 mm clutch to the 225 mm.

Kennedy can make a flywheel to bolt up to most anything.

You will find finding engine tin, engine mounts and exhaust system to put a Type 4 in a bit difficult as it was only fitted to the 912E. There weren't a whole lot of them made.
Gigamight
QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Oct 20 2009, 10:50 PM) *

define "bolt up"?

type 1 could be made to work, but why?

other than that you gotta go wasserpumper... which is SO not in the family biggrin.gif

want easy bolt on hp? build that 1.8 into something with a Jake kit, or a McMark 2056.. hows that for keeping it in the family biggrin.gif

I have been thinking of something like the 2056, but I haven't found much info on power. If I do an upgrade, I really want a big HP jump over a stock type 4.

When I say "bolt on" I guess I mean I don't want to do anything as dramatic as a V8. No offense to the V8 guys, I just don't think I'm up to that challenge.
Mark Henry
If I do an upgrade, I really want a big HP jump over a stock type 4.

It's a kit car do a suby conversion.

Type 4 bring money or/6 bring more money!
Type one will still cost ya if done right.
tat2dphreak
QUOTE(SLITS @ Oct 20 2009, 10:06 PM) *

QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Oct 20 2009, 07:50 PM) *

define "bolt up"?

The clutch and input spline can the problem with early Flat Sixes. Flat Sixes From '72 up, the input splining and diameter was changed for the 915 tranny. They also went from 215 mm clutch to the 225 mm.

Kennedy can make a flywheel to bolt up to most anything.

You will find finding engine tin, engine mounts and exhaust system to put a Type 4 in a bit difficult as it was only fitted to the 912E. There weren't a whole lot of them made.

maybe I misunderstood. I was thinking of 914 bolt ups, not the 911. I knew about the flywheel conversion, that's just part of the 914 conversion I wasn't thinking about the 911 with the vw engine.

big hp for little money is either the suby or SBC. not in the family. for the 911... I couldn't feel right about anything but a flat 6 in there.

for a 914, I've gone back and forth... if you want the most hp for your money, then chebbie. but with all that extra weight and hp, you open up other cans of worms.... 1st the Cvs can't handle it, then the 901 can't, then ??? so, imo, a scoobie is probably a lot more practical to get "enough" hp for your money, without going crazy. as much fun as a 914 with a 396 would be... biggrin.gif

but even then, we are talking 225 hp? certainly under 300... and a lot of work for that. figure out your "budget", add 25% and see what you can get and what you have to do for each one... I think you'd be looking at a suby @ 225 with a lot of fabbing, a raby kit at about 185, and he did the hard work for you.. or a cheap, budget 6 conversion where you get absolutely lucky on finding some cheap parts for less hp. the difference with the 6 is upgradability later... something to think about.

I love aircooled, personally... I'd like to drive a suby conversion, but I wouldn't make one myself, I don't think.
charliew
200 is just about the minimum hp with a 2.0 turbo suby even with the stock ecu. With the later 2.5 turbos 225 is about the minimum with 17psi.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(zymurgist @ Oct 20 2009, 11:42 AM) *

QUOTE(bandjoey @ Oct 20 2009, 02:29 PM) *

(on the way to pick up mama from prison, etc, etc)

David Allen Coe FTMFW!

In the rain ........................
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.