Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Jake Raby's dad died
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
HAM Inc
Just thought I'd let the community know that Jake's dad died in his sleep Wed night. The following is by Jake from his forum.

Today the RAT family lost our Father, my Dad, Harry. I could not reach him by phone today, so I took a break from the dyno to find him peaceful in his bed. After all of his nightmarish surgeries and weeks spent in the Hospital with heart problems for the past 20 years+ he was able to go peacefully in his own home where he had lived for the past 40 years.

My Dad may not have started this company, but without him and his constant inspiration over the years none of what we have created as a team would exist. My Dad gave me a tool box and a whole lot of support along with a concrete floor poured into an old hog pen and we started buying, selling and working on old VWs after my Mom died when I was 14 years old. The rest of this story is long and detailed, but that old floor, tool box and support is what started everything that these forums and our work is all about.

My dad wasn't a mechanic, but he was handy.. He never twisted wrenchs here but he continually gave me the support, drive and the challenge to do better. He taught me from a very young age about how to conduct business, how to be fair and how to be honest. He taught me to tell it like it is, be forward and that if that pissed someone off, so be it because it was the truth. He taught me that the "Only way around trouble is straight through the damn middle". Every day I have worked to meet his expectations and I'll do so for the rest of my life.

He answered our phones here at RAT for the last 4 years. He enjoyed talking to people from all over the world that were calling to inquire about what we could offer them. He will be impossible to replace, because he would talk to some people for long periods of time when they called to talk to me when I wasn't available. He wanted me to be successful and he'd go out of his way to get messages to us, even when he didn't feel like it. He has literally had a heart attack while talking to a customer, but he still got the job done!

He would sometimes tell stories to people that called about how all of this got started, and he took great pride in knowing that what we started over 20 years ago was able to grow into the following that is the heart of this forum and our customer base.

Up until last night he was feeling fine, he had been on his tractor in the yard and tried to fire up his 1949 Willys Jeep too. He had grilled some burgers and made one for me last night, so I took a 5 minute break from the 911 engine I was building to go grab the burger and he was feeling fine.. He took all of his meds as prescribed last night and his vitals that he logged down around 9:30 last night were fine.. Some time in the night he passed away, probably from one of the arteries that had a 90+ blockage that we couldn't find a surgeon that had enough balls to try to repair for the umpteenth time. We were told last month after his last heart attack that his time was drawing near and he and I both knew that too. We spent more time together and earlier this week we had some good times target practicing and sighting in rifles for hunting season. I knew it would be soon but didn't expect this, not now especially since he had been more active and wasn't eating quite as many nitro tablets as he was before. (He consumed Nitro like candy, but he kept going and kept working)

My Dad had pre-arranged his own Funeral and it was his choice to have a small family and close friends get together so thats what we'll be doing sometime over the weekend.

My Dad was a Shriner, so in lieu of flowers we request that a donation be made to the Shriner's Children Hospital or to the American Heart Association in memory of Harry Raby.
jimkelly
My deepest condolences to Jake and his entire family.

Jim
zymurgist
I'm sorry for your loss, Jake. He must have been one of a kind.
Katmanken
Sorry to hear that your dad has died.

Dad's are special people that teach us so much.

There is never a good way for a loved one to go, but I am glad that you got to spend time with him and hope that there was nothing unsaid. Having one go without closure is worse.

Take care, remember the good times and remember all that he did to make you who you are.

Ken
race914
Jake,

So sorry to hear of your loss.

Greg
736conver
sad.gif
thompson-mfr
I will be praying for you and your family at this difficult time.

Just lost my older brother from arterial blockage 70-80% at 31 years old.

rjames
So sorry to hear of your loss, Jake. Thank you for sharing some personal stories about him. My thoughts are with you.

tod914
Jake so sorry for your loss. Seems your Dad was quite an inspiration. Prayers are with you.
r_towle
Jake, I am sorry for your loss. You Dad sounds like a great man and he will be with you forever...

Rich
PanelBilly
My Dad has been gone for nearly 20 years and I can still feel him beside me. Sometimes I look at my hands and I see my fathers fingers. All worn from life, yet still willing to help. I know your Dad will be with you for the rest of your life.
Rod
Rest in peace Mr Raby. 20 years is a long time to be fighting..

rfuerst911sc
Jake sorry for your loss. My dads been gone for years but I think about him daily and that's a good thing. Sounds like you have great memories to cherish for years to come.
davep
May he rest in peace.
My wife's parents are deceased, but my own are going strong at ninety plus.
I give thanks every day that they are still healthy.
Our condolences.
carr914
Condolances Jake & Healthy Prayers for the rest of your family. I have never bought your products, but have drivin the end result & I'm sure you made your Dad Proud

all the best,
T.C.
Geezer914
It's tough to loose your Dad. I miss mine every day. You were fortunate to have been able to spend a lot of time with him these last few years. He died peacefully in his sleep at home. I hope that's the way the lord takes me. I feel for people that suffer for years in nursing homes, only to die alone. Your Dad will be my prayers.
Richard Casto
Sorry to hear this. I lost my dad in August of this year and it's a hard thing to deal with.

Richard
Joe Owensby
My thoughts and prayers are with the Raby family. I think it is great that Jake and his dad were so close and shared life. Sorry for your loss Jake. JoeO
Lou W
Sorry to hear about your loss, sounds like he was a good guy, my thoughts and prayers are with you. Treasure the memories. smile.gif
Gint
I'm very sorry for your loss Jake. Sounds like your dad was a great man.
jeeperjohn56
Sorry for your loss of your dad Jake, My prayers be with you and your family. John
RonD
Condolescence to you and your family. I recently lost my brother and the good times seem to be what I remember. It sounds like the many good memories will be there for you also.
JRust
Jake I'm so sorry for your loss. You are a lucky man to have had such a fine example. I am in close to the same situation with my father in law. He has been living with us the past 2 years. He is a fine man but has struggled with health issues as long as I've known him (17 year). 3 open heart surgeries later & multiple strokes. I expect to find him someday as you found your dad. I have been expecting it for years. Don't know what I'll do when it happens. He's been the father I never had growing up. I wish you nothing but the best in this trying time. If there is anything I can do please let me know. You & your family are in my prayers smile.gif
SLITS
It was really cool talking to Harry on the phone. I will miss the conversations.
oldschool
QUOTE(Lou W @ Oct 23 2009, 06:34 PM) *

Sorry to hear about your loss, sounds like he was a good guy, my thoughts and prayers are with you. Treasure the memories. smile.gif

My father in law just passed also. Its never easy. Sorry man.
6freak
Prayers sent to you and your family in your time of need... Mr.Jake.I`m truly sorry for your loss...God bless your Father
Jake Raby
Thanks guys.. This is really rough.

I'll post some pics of him and etc later.

He was a great Dad and one hell of a tough man... He was also a really great employee that was always on the clock as either our night watchman or answering the phones..

Like I said on my forums, if I am even 1/2 the man that he was that would be a true accomplishment.
scotty b
Very sorry to hear this Jake. sad.gif Just remember he is always right beside you handing you that 13mm wrench.
strawman
Jake, I've never bought your products but I've always enjoyed reading your posts. What you wrote about your Pops is pure poetry. He obviously did a great job raising you... you're blessed.

Geoff
KaptKaos
Godspeed to your father. You're in our prayers.
JazonJJordan
Congratulations Jake on having an outstanding friend, father and advocate.

It is rare these days, to see the essence of an American hero- the basic, real, and invariable nature of a thing or its significant individual features that defines what we all stand for.
Perseverance;
True Grit was a phase coined in America for the men that made our country great.

That steady persistence in adhering to a course of action, a belief, or a purpose; steadfastness.
Commitment;
To who you are and what you stood for. And what you would stand up to.

I see that commitment ingrained in you and your expectations -you- now require of others you deal with.
Integrity;
Not perfection, but acknowledging when you went down in a fight but got back up again- not out self-pride or fear of losing, but knowing that winning...
is -more- about getting back up again.

I am honored to meet your Father in you Sir- and he is honored- by you Jake.
Nothing ends or erases the measure of a man.
Someday you will see him again, happy to shake your hand~ To: Harry Raby!
rick 918-S
Sorry to read this Jake. It must have been very special for you to have a dad in your life. It sounds like you are what you are because of him. That's a wonderful gift.
BMXerror
Well wishes sent your way. sad.gif Harry sounds like a tough ol' bird.
Mark D.
messix
Thank you Jake for celebrating your fathers life with us.

he lives on in you and that is his gift to us.

here's to Harry!
TJB/914
Jake & family,

My condolences on the loss of your dad. I talked to your dad last year and know you both are cut out of the same cookie doe. He was very proud of you & it showed through in many ways. My prayers are with you and the family.

Tom
tat2dphreak
I'm very sorry to hear this, Jake. your father was a great man who drove you to do great things, and will be with you always. you will be in my thoughts.
montoya 73 2.0
I would like to extend my condolences and prayers to you and your family. He sounds alot like my late grandfather and that was the man who raised me, taught me that a hand shake still meant something and honesty was always the best policy. They don't make them like that amymore! Cheers to Mr. Raby!
EdwardBlume
Sorry Jake... may your Dad rest in peace.
Elliot Cannon
I lost my Dad to a heart attack 26 years ago but he will always be with me. As long as you have memories and think of him sometimes, he will never be gone.
Cheers, Elliot
johnnie5
My condolences for your your loss Jake. I spoke with your dad while trying to reach you on a couple of occasions. He did tell me stories... and he made me laugh. I am sure he is already missed deeply, but he is at peace now.
KELTY360
From what you tell us, the apple didn't fall far from the tree. You honor him with the way you conduct your life and your business. You'll always have his memory to guide and comfort you. You're a lucky man.

Godspeed Harry Raby.
Todd Enlund
Sorry to hear of your loss, Jake. My thoughts are with you.
watsonrx13
Condolescence to you and your family. Sorry for your loss Jake.

-- Rob
914Sixer
Sorry to hear about your dad. The passing of a parent is always hard.
jsayre914
sad.gif Very sorry to hear that Jake. I didnt know him, mabey he's hanging out with my dad now (in the next place) his spirit will live on driving.gif
ME733
My condolescence for you and your family....Murray.
Gary
Jake,

I'm sorry for your loss; it sounds like you made the most of the days you had with him. Your honoring him is testament to the legacy he leaves behind.

G
Randal

One of the toughest things any of have to face is losing that guiding light in our lives.

Both myself and my family thoughts are with you Jake and we are truly sorry for your loss.
zx-niner
It seems like the older we get, the more like our dad's we seem to become. He must have been quite a guy.

Steve
ericread
My deepest condolences.

Eric Read
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.