Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What's a good conversion?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pdr1787
Hi, I currently have a 1.7 914 with a tail shifter. I want more power and reliabilty . Maybe a subura, sbc, or a 911 2.7. What would be best and reliable. Also cost wise cheaper too? I'm just looking for your guys opinions and pointers since I'm new here to the 914 world. Thank you
MoveQik
popcorn[1].gif
underthetire
I want to do a Rotary myself. Been on the hunt for one. The RPM curve of the rotary should match the tranny real well.
rick 918-S
Is this a double post?

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=100629
underthetire
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Oct 26 2009, 10:07 PM) *

OOOHHH Busted ! smash.gif
Dr Evil
No, it is spelled completely different rolleyes.gif wink.gif
sww914
3.2 is good. I spent the weekend driving a gt3rs, 450 HP would be good too.
MoveQik
QUOTE(sww914 @ Oct 26 2009, 11:19 PM) *

3.2 is good.

Enough said. happy11.gif
Rotary'14
QUOTE(underthetire @ Oct 26 2009, 09:36 PM) *

I want to do a Rotary myself. Been on the hunt for one. The RPM curve of the rotary should match the tranny real well.

I got one of those rotary things in my 914. It's pretty cool (but runs a tad hot). I relive my youth when I rev her out, what a sweet sound.

IMHO if you are using H20 cooling,,, a rotary engine converion is do-able on the cheap if you run a carb. Not as complex as the suby (due to intake). Not as heavy as a V8 with absolutely no modifications to the engine compartment sheet metal. (but V8 carbs are pretty simple too)

I think there's a club member on here that has a chalon 914 in Sacramento with a 13b rotary.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...c=97057&hl=

I am in Souther Cali, and I'd show you my car if you want to see an ugly (but good running) example.

-Robert

tat2dphreak
a /6 conversion may not be cheaper in the short run, but will likely yield more resale value. it will also keep it aircooled and have upgradability if you use a cheaper engine now, you can upgrade to a 3.0 or 3.2 later... less body cutting and more conversion information.

to me it's type 4 or /6 then everything else.
Pdr1787
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Oct 26 2009, 10:07 PM) *

haha yeah I couldn't find my original post so I made another lol sorry
messix
the best conversion is from on jackstands to off the jack stands and on the road! driving.gif
tat2dphreak
the best conversion is from on jackstands to off the jack stands and on the road! driving.gif

QFT
JRust
Depends really what you want from your motor. Are you looking for HP or reliability. Or both with gas mileage? If you can stay water cooled it is preferable. I have a water cooled conversion. IT is a buick 215 v8 & I think is a great fit for our 914's. Mine sits at about 220hp & still weighs in at just under 2200lbs. It is the all aluminum motor. If money is no object I'd say do an LS1 conversion. All aluminum & tons of power. If you are looking to do on the cheap then go SBC. I actually have the tranny adapters for a 350 & a 327 (I think). I also have an extra buick 215 motor. Cheapest wil be your stock 350 as they are readily available for cheap. You've got have some fabrication skills to do it. Unless you buy the kit from Renegade. Which if you have the money is a great way to go. I highly recommend all their parts. Absolutely love their custom radiator biggrin.gif
jimkelly
since i now live in delaware and we have emmission testing on all 914's ( 1968 and newer models ) - i give the nod to suby power, rpm's match 914 trans, wide range of motors/hp, good gas mileage, and with cats i should be able to get thru emissions easily.

i will be going suby with my 1975 for sure.

jim
JazonJJordan
Another great choice, neat package and reliable power. Just..need...a ..Turbo! too!

QUOTE(jimkelly @ Oct 27 2009, 05:36 PM) *

since i now live in delaware and we have emmission testing on all 914's ( 1968 and newer models ) - i give the nod to suby power, rpm's match 914 trans, wide range of motors/hp, good gas mileage, and with cats i should be able to get thru emissions easily.

jim

MoveQik
QUOTE(JRust @ Oct 27 2009, 01:49 PM) *

If you can stay water cooled it is preferable.

I respectfully disagree, Sir. poke.gif
tat2dphreak
QUOTE(MoveQik @ Oct 28 2009, 01:26 PM) *

QUOTE(JRust @ Oct 27 2009, 01:49 PM) *

If you can stay water cooled it is preferable.

I respectfully disagree, Sir. poke.gif

agree.gif

how is cutting a hole in the trunk, and doing a lot of fab work "better"?
oldschool
QUOTE(Rotary'14 @ Oct 27 2009, 10:41 AM) *

QUOTE(underthetire @ Oct 26 2009, 09:36 PM) *

I got one of those rotary things in my 914. It's pretty cool (but runs a tad hot). I relive my youth when I rev her out, what a sweet sound.

IMHO if you are using H20 cooling,,, a rotary engine converion is do-able on the cheap if you run a carb. Not as complex as the suby (due to intake). Not as heavy as a V8 with absolutely no modifications to the engine compartment sheet metal. (but V8 carbs are pretty simple too)

I think there's a club member on here that has a chalon 914 in Sacramento with a 13b rotary.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...c=97057&hl=

I am in Souther Cali, and I'd show you my car if you want to see an ugly (but good running) example.

-Robert

Robert I have a avi file of the ride you gave me in the cool car. can you view it ? and can I upload it?
type47
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Oct 27 2009, 01:36 PM) *

sad.gif
oldschool
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Oct 27 2009, 02:36 PM) *

jim

smog on 68 and up ! chair.gif I LOVE CALI. 75 and up shades.gif
Pdr1787
Thanks u guys for all these Ideas. I think I'm going with the motormeister 2.7 upgrade and paint for $8000. But i could change my
mind and do a suby at the last minute maybe . That rotary idea is cool though I loved to see 1
tat2dphreak
search here for motormeister. valuable info

example:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...hl=motormeister
cal44
Motormeister?.............better think that one over. In the 911 world from where I come and live that is a very bad word.
SirAndy
QUOTE(cal44 @ Oct 28 2009, 03:36 PM) *

Motormeister?.............better think that one over. In the 911 world from where I come and live that is a very bad word.

agree.gif Stay away from those guys ...
Pdr1787
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 28 2009, 04:41 PM) *

Wow why is that u kinda got me worried
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Pdr1787 @ Oct 30 2009, 02:14 AM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 28 2009, 04:41 PM) *

Wow why is that u kinda got me worried

Can you say BOOM real loud? lol-2.gif

Seriously, up in the right upper corner there is a feature called members. Do a search for member Sixnotfour. His name is Jeff Hines and he builds very good Porsche six engines at a fair price.
tat2dphreak
here's a good looking deal for a core, too...
http://www.914club.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=176689

I do not own a -6... but I have heard "motor-shiester" enough to know the name to stay away from.
charliew
a week or ten days ago gold to silver
sww914
Motormeister???????
Never heard anything good about them. All bad, very bad. You should be worried.
Go to Pelican Parts and do a search
charliew
Maybe when suby goes to a direct injection 6 and a sequential tranny it will finally bring the 914 up to a really neat hp street car that might not need a turbo and will have a real flat torque curve. Although a turbo 2.5 with the suby tranny is pretty neat. A water cooled car controls heat much better than a aircooled car, especially in a midengined car, and that means the tuning is way easier.
HUBBSTER
QUOTE(JRust @ Oct 27 2009, 04:49 PM) *

If money is no object I'd say do an LS1 conversion. All aluminum & tons of power.

Does the LS3 fit as easily as the LS1 ?

Thanks
Dr. Roger
ask KEP.

wink.gif

http://kennedyeng.com/

QUOTE(HUBBSTER @ Oct 31 2009, 10:53 AM) *

QUOTE(JRust @ Oct 27 2009, 04:49 PM) *

If money is no object I'd say do an LS1 conversion. All aluminum & tons of power.

Does the LS3 fit as easily as the LS1 ?

Thanks

HUBBSTER
So if you want 400-450hp what has a better power to weight ratio

An LS3 or a Turbo Scooby ?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.