Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: LED gauge lighting*** NEW MULTI COLOR SAMPLES
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Member Vendors
Als914
ADMIN EDIT: This thread is closed. Sadly, Al has passed away in October. R.I.P ... sad.gif

Here is Sample: refinished the inner gauge housings with a highly reflective paint. Stripped the inner and outer bezels to bare metal and repainted in mat-silver. I chose to paint the dial pointers the same mat-silver. Added the BLUE LED strip lighting.......Huge difference from the BA7 LED bulbs!

LED colors available are: Cool White, Natural White, Blue, Ultra Violet, Red, Green and Amber.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Samples in RED LEDs

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

I can perform the LED strip lighting (on your gauges) for:
$30 ea. large gauge
$20 ea. small gauge
$10 ea. strip/paint in/out [/size]

Send me your non-working odometer for repair $40 + any parts replacement + shipping.

NEW ITEM: Send me your non-working KIENZLE clock for repair and calibration. This is the clock that has a white plastic back housing. $50 + shipping.

I Just completed my new MULTI COLOR gauges.SEE AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS THREAD. Pricing is listed below picture samples.
New Multi Color Series

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

These are set up in LED BLUE with WARNING color RED and WARM WHITE Accent lighting to better see the gauge face nomenclature and speedo and trip odometer numbers..

For multi color LED lighting (on your gauges) as shown pricing is:
Speedo $55
Tach $45
Fuel $35

NEW ITEM: Send me your non-working KIENZLE clock for repair and calibration. This is the clock that has a white plastic back housing. $50 + shipping.

You can PM or e-mail me at als914x4@aol.com
euro911
Those look pretty sharp thumb3d.gif
Als914
Thanks Mark.

The lights are so bright I may have to find a dimmer that can be incorperared. The Cool White lights will undoubtedly be very bright but this is better than squinting to see your gauges at night.

I am currently working on another early set and a later set ( non-silver button) but don't know what color lights I am going to use. I am thinking of installing Amber lights in the early set since newer autos use them. When completed I will post more pic's.

Al
zymurgist
Nice! thumb3d.gif

Can it be done in red?
Als914
Thanks Ken,

Yes to your question on RED.

Under the posted pic's I list the colors available and cost per gauge. They are: Cool White, Natural White, Blue, Ultra Violet, Red, Green and Amber. It's not noted clearly but gauges would have to be shipped to me at area code 92545.

Al
JazonJJordan
Al, great product and effort! What a difference~ wub.gif
Als914
Here are some pic,s of a later set with Blue LED strips and glass lenses.
Als914
Here are pic's of a silver button early set with Cool White LED strips.

These will be place for sale in the For Sale Forum (Parts) as soon as I receive and install "Spunone" gauge rings. I did not like the ring surface as they are so I am adding the clear anodized to this set. Of course I will have to add in that cost. So look for these soon.
bandjoey
Over looks, what color lights are the best for night visability for us older eyes?
Mikey914
Red is best next green, for night vision.
Als914
QUOTE(Als914 @ Nov 22 2009, 01:39 PM) *

Here are pic's of a silver button early set with Cool White LED strips.

Hey Bill,
Thanks to mikey914 for the graph. Hard to argue against data.
I haven't done a Red or Green test at night. I can tell you that when I changed my incandescent bulbs to the BA7 White LED bulbs it was an improvement but I still wasn't satisfied headbang.gif untill I installed the these LED strips with each gauge containing a minimum of fifteen miniature bulbs (mine are Blue) the difference is amazing smilie_pokal.gif !!! Turn your standard dash lights on during daylight hours and they are barely visible; turn these LED strips on in daylight and your gauges are very visibly lit up.
I am 62 and need vision help also so I am very happy with the results.
Al
celluloid3
Are the led strips mounted inside the gauges behind the face plates or in front of the face plates between the glass??? They look great! I put LED bulbs in the standard bulb holders in the backs and its not much of a improvement over the standard bulbs...

NICE WORK! clap56.gif
Als914
QUOTE(celluloid3 @ Nov 23 2009, 01:27 PM) *

Are the led strips mounted inside the gauges behind the face plates or in front of the face plates between the glass??? They look great! I put LED bulbs in the standard bulb holders in the backs and its not much of a improvement over the standard bulbs...

NICE WORK! clap56.gif

Thanks celluloid3 beerchug.gif ,

Exactly!! After I installed the BA7 Led bulb in my gauges (as you did) I was bummed. I decided to do something different and these are the results. There is a lot of work that goes into each gauge. They have to be completely disassembled, drilled for wiring,polished or repainted in each housing. The LED strips have to have lead and ground wires soldered to each strip and then the strips are attached to the inner circumference at a specific distance behind the face plate and re-assembled. I beleive the light emitted from these gauges are outstnding.
I have a later set for sale in the Parts For Sale Forum.
Thanks again Al
tat2dphreak
I guess the real question now is price for a kit?
Als914
QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Nov 24 2009, 10:35 AM) *

I guess the real question now is price for a kit?

I put the pricing below the pic's at the top of this thread.
LED Strip lights $30 per dash gauge
$20 per console gauge
Ring painting $10 per gauge
Shipping your gauges to area code 92545.

I quoted one today, example: Dash gauages $30 x 3=$90 w/ cool White LEDs
Inner / outer rings Painted $10 x 3=$30
+ shipping to 92545 $?
I pay shipping back to you $0
Total= $120
Hope this helped,Thanks for the inquiry
rfuerst911sc
Any pics of natural white ? I would want it closer to stock..............only brighter. Thanks
Als914
QUOTE(rfuerst911sc @ Nov 24 2009, 02:16 PM) *

Any pics of natural white ? I would want it closer to stock..............only brighter. Thanks

I'me putting together other colors into individual gauges for samples. I will pm you when I post the pic's of Natural White. Thanks for the inquiry.

Al
rfuerst911sc
QUOTE(Als914 @ Nov 24 2009, 03:29 PM) *

QUOTE(rfuerst911sc @ Nov 24 2009, 02:16 PM) *

I'me putting together other colors into individual gauges for samples. I will pm you when I post the pic's of Natural White. Thanks for the inquiry.

Al

Sounds good thank you.
Als914
Hello all,

Check out the new multi color series LED lighting at the bottom of #1 thread.
Here is a sample.

Click to view attachment

Al
jfort
Interested in white LEDs for my 3 914-6 gauges. Can I install them myself? You can email me at jeffreyfort at mac dot com.. thanks!
gothspeed
Great work w00t.gif !!!!!
70-914nut
do you still have a set available
Als914
QUOTE(70-914nut @ Mar 19 2011, 06:39 PM) *

do you still have a set available

I currently have a complete set of (early) silver button gauges available. I can do these up any way you like. What is it that you would like for your car? Do you have a set in exchange or your gauges redone and reto-fitted?

Go to the #1 post in my Member Vendor thread and scroll down and see the examples. The muti-color are the most expensive (pricing is there for all work) but you can save $$ if you have gauges to exchange or have yours redone.

Best regards,

Al
70-914nut
I have tach and gas gauge but no speedo. I like the lighting that is on the ones you have for sale. Rainbow right? What are you asking for the set if i send my 2 gauges? Please call me 252 340-3722 very interested and i have cash!
Als914
Now repairing Kienzle clocks. See top of #1 thread.
nsr-jamie
Thats nice looking work !! Something I saw on a Japanese car here in Japan was some kind of switch or dial he had wired and he was able to change the color of his gauges...he had like around 7 colors or so he could change depending on his mood or the feeling and it looked cool, the same stock gauges but was able to change to various colors with a turn of a dial. I am not sure if he was using LED lights or bulbs but it was very cool looking and also bright enough and very clear and easy to read. The car was not a 914 and instead was a newer Toyota compact car. I thought that was a cool look and feature and it would be cool if somebody developed something like that for a 914. You could have different colors depending on the time and match them to your stereo and audio controls. I am not sure if you could make something like that but just wanted to mention that incase you were looking for some ideas or if somebody else was intersted in coming up with a way to manufacture something like this.
Als914
QUOTE(nsr-jamie @ May 31 2011, 05:37 AM) *

Thats nice looking work !! Something I saw on a Japanese car here in Japan was some kind of switch or dial he had wired and he was able to change the color of his gauges...he had like around 7 colors or so he could change depending on his mood or the feeling and it looked cool, the same stock gauges but was able to change to various colors with a turn of a dial. I am not sure if he was using LED lights or bulbs but it was very cool looking and also bright enough and very clear and easy to read. The car was not a 914 and instead was a newer Toyota compact car. I thought that was a cool look and feature and it would be cool if somebody developed something like that for a 914. You could have different colors depending on the time and match them to your stereo and audio controls. I am not sure if you could make something like that but just wanted to mention that incase you were looking for some ideas or if somebody else was intersted in coming up with a way to manufacture something like this.

Hello Jamie,

Hope life if getting better in Japan.

There are manufacturers that make LEDs that change colors but they are pricey, as much as three times more $$ than one color LED strips. I have thought of doing a gauge and posting it as a sample. Maybe some time soon. The issue would be if some one is willing to pay the price. On the other hand, many 914 owners like keeping their cars stock...my problem is I never liked anything stock.

Thanks for the compliment on my work. beerchug.gif

Al

70-914nut
Cant wait to get my multi colored gauges! thanks Al!
Als914
QUOTE(70-914nut @ Jul 29 2011, 05:40 PM) *

Cant wait to get my multi colored gauges! thanks Al!

They will be completed welder.gif and sent back to you this coming week.

Thanks Barry,

Al
70-914nut
Thanks Al great work! Hvnt been able to install yet. Ill let you know and post some pics of your work. I have also spread the word. Should have more work coming!
RS22b
pretty sweet! might have to do this soon. Need to get the car back on the road first though, hehe.
Twise
I am in Temecula - Do you do house calls? I have a pretty cool setup with my gauges, but wouldlike to get the bezels to match, add glass and your led lighting. I also have a combo gauge I would like to modify for the center console. I thought since you were so close... Anyway, let me know.
70-914nut
Al sent some customers your way. Showed some guys my gauges and that was all it took.
Harpo
Good morning Al,

Are you still offering this service? Did I hear something about some health issues. I hope that all is well. I would like to have all three of my gauges done

Dave
Als914
QUOTE(Harpo @ Jan 29 2012, 09:40 AM) *

Good morning Al,

Are you still offering this service? Did I hear something about some health issues. I hope that all is well. I would like to have all three of my gauges done

Dave

Hi Dave,

Yes I still do gauges and yes I have been diagnosed with cancer. It will take me a little longer to complete them than normal because of my daily radiation treatments that I need to go into the doctors office to receive.

What are you looking to have done?

Here is the last set I just completed for a 930 Carrera.

Al

Click to view attachment
Harpo
Good afternoon AL,

I shipped my 3 dash gages and my 3 console gages out yesterday. You should see them by Thursday or Friday. I will most likely need the Inner / outer rings Painted.

Thanks

David
matthepcat
I'm excited to get mine back. Should look awesome with my new interior!

Matt

Update:

They look great!

IPB Image
70-914nut
Hi Al Hope all is well. Great work on the 930! Robbie"s car is really coming along nicely. Did some powder coating a while back for him. Great to see your still staying busy. take care
Als914
QUOTE(70-914nut @ Apr 10 2012, 05:10 PM) *

Hi Al Hope all is well. Great work on the 930! Robbie"s car is really coming along nicely. Did some powder coating a while back for him. Great to see your still staying busy. take care

Thanks for the update. Actually I have been busy fighting my cancer and new chemo regimen....It's reaaly kicking my butt! Trying to catch up, this is the first time I've been on the world in three days. Keep us updated.
timothy_nd28
Al, I didn't realize you were going thru cancer treatments. I feel bad pyling work on you, while your going thru something like this. I understand if you want to abort doing work on my gauges. I'll even pay for return shipping, no hard feelings. I hope all is well, and I'll be praying for you.
etcmss
i'm interested in having my 3 dashboard gages done as well as the rebuild of the speedometer.i'm hoping you are still in business. I have spares to send and then i'll swap them out. so how do we continue from here? (sent PM also)
Gary
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.