Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fog lights into Head Lights?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Cire
I was thinking about replacing my flood lights with hi / low beam lights and then removing my standard bucket and motor lights.

Anyone seen this done?
Anyone seen a hi low beam for the fog light area?

Thanks all.

Eric

Click to view attachment
jt914-6
In most if not all states, the fog lights would be too low to be considered "headlights". Headlights would have to be higher to be legal......
Cire
QUOTE(jt914-6 @ Oct 29 2009, 05:13 AM) *

In most if not all states, the fog lights would be too low to be considered "headlights". Headlights would have to be higher to be legal......

You are probably correct about that. = )

Anyone seen it done or tried it? = ) stirthepot.gif

Eruc = )
tat2dphreak

agree.gif and if you put that kind of wattage down there it would be noticable.

get some pilot driving lights, they bolt in and are basically another set of low beams.

also, the fog light surrounds are plastic, and actual headlights would probably get too hot
VaccaRabite
the Pilot driving lights that I have work better then the H4 headlights. I have them aimed in between my low beans and high beams. I actually don't need my high beams with the driving lights on. WAY more light with the H4 low beam and pilot driving lights.

Zach
underthetire
+1 on the pilot driving lights !

detoxcowboy
2nd on Pilots!! I have yellow Pilots w/ 85 watt H3 PIAA crystal ion yellow bulbs (regular pilots come at 55 watts H3 clear) when I flash these in a bright sunny so. cal. day on the freeway it is like the autobahn move & the drivers see it and move out of "my lane" (thats driving w/ Los Angeles attitude). Also have used them middle of the night in foggy/misty Big Sur North Coast and they work outstandingly.

Not a sales pitch because I do not care if I have to hold these awhile but I am selling these in about a week when my restored stock with new amber lenses get here. Only changing for some purity of originality and atheistic ( I am painting next mo.) but will miss the "evil yellow eyes" and their laser beams.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Cire
QUOTE(detoxcowboy @ Oct 29 2009, 09:26 AM) *

2nd on Pilots!! I have yellow Pilots w/ 85 watt H3 PIAA crystal ion yellow bulbs (regular pilots come at 55 watts H3 clear) when I flash these in a bright sunny so. cal. day on the freeway it is like the autobahn move & the drivers see it and move out of "my lane" (thats driving w/ Los Angeles attitude). Also have used them middle of the night in foggy/misty Big Sur North Coast and they work outstandingly.

Not a sales pitch because I do not care if I have to hold these awhile but I am selling these in about a week when my restored stock with new amber lenses get here. Only changing for some purity of originality and atheistic ( I am painting next mo.) but will miss the "evil yellow eyes" and their laser beams.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

LOL My goal is to totally remove the standard regular head light. Less weight, 1 less wire, less hassle... So just to get some street legal headlights in there would be great. = )

See? = )

screwy.gif
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(Cire @ Oct 29 2009, 12:14 PM) *

My goal is to totally remove the standard regular head light. Less weight, 1 less wire, less hassle... So just to get some street legal headlights in there would be great. = )

See? = )

screwy.gif

They won't be street legal, they will be mounted too low. People that have done what you are trying to do have re-purposed the turn signal housings as headlight housings, using motorcycle headlights. That is the only way to get the height legal. its all custom work, at that point.

To remove the headlights would be more then 1 less wire. but to remove them would mean taking apart the entire forward wiring harness, or else you will be risking ground outs. Would be less work to remove the headlight motors and work up a cable pull system that uses small pneumatic struts (which has also been done and documented on this site.)

If your car is a street car at all, you are going to want legal headlights.

Zach
SirAndy
QUOTE(Cire @ Oct 29 2009, 09:14 AM) *

My goal is to totally remove the standard regular head light. Less weight, 1 less wire, less hassle... So just to get some street legal headlights in there would be great.

The lights you put in there might be legal, the location will not. You'll still get a ticket.

If all that is of no concern to you, you can probably make any smaller headlight fit ...
shades.gif Andy
tat2dphreak
the real weight savings would be taking out the motors for the headlights? why not just buy/make the GT-style opening kit? that would be legal and easier.
detoxcowboy
Actually the height would not be legal, Porsche/Volkswagen put the pop up headlight in the 914 not to be aerodynamic but to meet legal height requirements for headlights. True Story.
detoxcowboy
Here is the link page cut and pasted for u. If you give up on "legal" you can do it. My first 914 had the turn signals removed and cut out w/ the fenders bent /shaped into a slope nose w/ the side marker moved to the front and hooked to the flashers thus working as turn signals," less weight no hassle less wires" never got a ticket but i sold that piece of **** as a costumed slop nose first sign of problems.., I do not think it went any faster with the turnsignals and buckets removed but it was quicker when the tank was on "e".

The Porsche 914 featured pop-up headlamps to meet height regulations.
Because the nose was so low, pop-up headlamps were used to meet minimum-height regulations. The headlight design was a typical piece of Porschearbeit, with every contingency anticipated. For example, each unit had an electric motor and provision for manual operation in case of power loss. Both methods were designed so that either could easily break the thickest coat of ice the engineers could conjure in cold-weather tests. To prevent catching unwary fingers as the lamps closed, Porsche provided a safety panel that would give way before one’s digits did.
Cap'n Krusty
Not only are lights in the fog light position of a 914 illegal because they fall below the minimum legal height, but any light used as what we call a 'headlight" has to be so designated and approved for use as such by the DOT. That's TWO strikes. Why go looking for trouble?

The Cap'n
Jeffs9146
Neo's Headlights in the blinker thread

I don't know what Neo914-6 ended up doing with his but he was on track with an interesting concept!

Bruce Hinds
QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ Oct 29 2009, 12:02 PM) *

Neo's Headlights in the blinker thread

I don't know what Neo914-6 ended up doing with his but he was on track with an interesting concept!

NOW THAT'S INTERESTING!
Where's that thread?
JmuRiz
QUOTE(detoxcowboy @ Oct 29 2009, 08:26 AM) *

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

I'm guessing with those lights you have some kind of relay? Just wondering if the stock fog-light wiring can handle the wattage. BTW I'm diggin' the look with the yellow Pilots!
pcar916
I've always run one white running light and one yellow one for fog. That said, you guys may have better luck than I do with those low mounted lights. I've put on several sets over the years and they always get broken within a few weeks of mounting them. Come to think about it, they were broken when I bought the car!

Legal or not, I'd never mount my main beams that low. Too much maintenance.

Good Luck
dw914er
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Oct 29 2009, 11:45 AM) *

Not only are lights in the fog light position of a 914 illegal because they fall below the minimum legal height, but any light used as what we call a 'headlight" has to be so designated and approved for use as such by the DOT. That's TWO strikes. Why go looking for trouble?

The Cap'n

what he said

btw... those yellow pilot lights look sweet... that might be a future investment for my car beerchug.gif
flipb
Came across this kit on PP while browsing for other things.

Only $25 and it wires the fogs to work as flashers when the headlights are off, but the stalk will still activate the high beams as usual when the lights are on.

Anybody using this?

PS - never seen the Neo car before today. My new favorite non-stock looking teener.
plymouth37
I did that to my car but I am only using single beam not high/low.
I am running KC hi-lights and by removing the old pop-ups and the buckets that housed them I dropped 18.8 pounds.
And yes they are totally illegal but they work a lot better than the originals.
Click to view attachment
SirAndy
QUOTE(plymouth37 @ Oct 29 2009, 06:56 PM) *

I did ... I am ... I am ... I dropped

What front valance is that? idea.gif
plymouth37
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 29 2009, 08:17 PM) *

What front valance is that? idea.gif

It is Renegade Hybrids front valence, IIRC it goes for around $200.
tat2dphreak
QUOTE(flipb @ Oct 29 2009, 09:51 PM) *

Came across this kit on PP while browsing for other things.

Only $25 and it wires the fogs to work as flashers when the headlights are off, but the stalk will still activate the high beams as usual when the lights are on.

Anybody using this?

PS - never seen the Neo car before today. My new favorite non-stock looking teener.

that's the jwest kit. www.jwesteng.com James makes great products. I still have rennshift envy.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.