Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: R Shock retaining nut - opinions?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bandjoey
this looks like not enough threads poking through.. What do you think? I tightened the spring retention -looks like a valve- nut down tight. Is something not lined up right or what?
6freak
I think mine have more threads show`n..you did hold the shock stud firm when you tight`n the nut? Lots of variables with shocks and all ,,, just thought i would throw something out there for ya
6freak
just looked Mine`s not much more then that but mine`s more round and is hex head
ME733
popcorn[1].gif ....IT appears that the ..."LOCK NUT" has a much taller upper section, with the plastic/teflon enclosed., this would account for some of the threads not being exposed....And the rubber bushing appears to be "Taller" than a O.E.M. part. (it,s possable the nut is not completely tightened.)....the nut is definately not O.E.M. sized , therefore I am assuming the upper bushings, have been replaced also.....for your consideration. popcorn[1].gif
bandjoey
Did a little measuring today. The original factory shock, from top of the spring mount to the top of the threads, is 1/2" longer than the Koni shock. Also, the rubber donut here is Oem. I'm going to see if I can find a shorter 'lock nut' and
what do you think about shaving about 4-5mm off the top of the donut?

P.s. Here are the shocks on the car when I bought it, and they look like original equipment, so I think the donut is factory. No reason (normally) for anyone to chanage this out.
jt914-6
Bill, Here is a shot of mine. It looks like we have opposite problems. My Koni adjustable shock sticks up too far. Can't get the top in the trunk for it. I just need to shim a little. Winter project.

Click to view attachment
bandjoey
Bigger lower donut smaller top donut call Duncan Donut...They're coming to take me away Ha Ha. mueba.gif
ericread
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Nov 1 2009, 10:52 PM) *

Bigger lower donut smaller top donut call Duncan Donut...They're coming to take me away Ha Ha. mueba.gif

lol-2.gif

Had a bit too much caffine this morning???
ME733
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Nov 1 2009, 11:08 PM) *

Did a little measuring today. The original factory shock, from top of the spring mount to the top of the threads, is 1/2" longer than the Koni shock. Also, the rubber donut here is Oem. I'm going to see if I can find a shorter 'lock nut' and
what do you think about shaving about 4-5mm off the top of the donut?

P.s. Here are the shocks on the car when I bought it, and they look like original equipment, so I think the donut is factory. No reason (normally) for anyone to chanage this out.

popcorn[1].gif ..good Idea , cut the rubber shock soft mount down...BuT maybe at the local N.A.P.A, or parts store/hotrod shop they might have a similar but shorter rubber mount for another application. And then see if the longer , lock nut will thread down to tighten the assembly. While you are looking for alternative rubber bushings, maybe you can find a larger steel flat washer that curves over the rubber bushing to "capture" it better. popcorn[1].gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(jt914-6 @ Nov 1 2009, 08:48 PM) *

Bill, Here is a shot of mine. It looks like we have opposite problems. My Koni adjustable shock sticks up too far. Can't get the top in the trunk for it. I just need to shim a little. Winter project.

That's a lot! Did you put the lower rubber "donut" on there? My Koni adjustable fit much better with a lot less sticking out the top and enough room for the top.

idea.gif Andy
914Sixer
The nuts I sent were oversize. You can use the stock nuts from the old ones.
bandjoey
Ah the PO speaks up! Thanks for that. I'll check on a shorter one.
These are great shocks...like everything else I do, it only took 6 months to get around to putting these on. Yes to Bottom donut. I'm stop by my Flaps tomorrow for another size. TI was unsure about thinning the rubber down much since I don't know how much force is placed on them and what a thinner one would do.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.