Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: More L-jet questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jsayre914
so, what i thought was a cake walk is proving to be more of a pita. i pulled up jeffs l-jet diagram to check my connections and i could not believe it.

i labled all wires when i pulled the injection off. jeffs diagram tells me the fuel injector leads on both sides are backwards???
WTF.gif
the engine was running fine when i pulled it, but his diagram describes the left side and right side with (short/ long) and mine are definatly opposite on both sides blink.gif

how can that be. the delema..... should i hook it up the same way i took it off or do i do it as per the guru of 914 fi???

and now i am having a bitch of a time getting the vacume leads to make sense. there is at least 5 diff diameters and i have diagrams from aa pelican and jeffs website. they all say slightly diff things. i bought the vacume kit from aa and it seems to not fit some of the fittings it is supposed to fit.
headbang.gif

i am still having fun

anybody want to help put my engine back in the car bye1.gif
davesprinkle
QUOTE(jsayre914 @ Oct 31 2009, 09:34 AM) *

so, what i thought was a cake walk is proving to be more of a pita. i pulled up jeffs l-jet diagram to check my connections and i could not believe it.

i labled all wires when i pulled the injection off. jeffs diagram tells me the fuel injector leads on both sides are backwards???
WTF.gif
the engine was running fine when i pulled it, but his diagram describes the left side and right side with (short/ long) and mine are definatly opposite on both sides blink.gif

how can that be. the delema..... should i hook it up the same way i took it off or do i do it as per the guru of 914 fi???

and now i am having a bitch of a time getting the vacume leads to make sense. there is at least 5 diff diameters and i have diagrams from aa pelican and jeffs website. they all say slightly diff things. i bought the vacume kit from aa and it seems to not fit some of the fittings it is supposed to fit.
headbang.gif

i am still having fun

anybody want to help put my engine back in the car bye1.gif

Yeah, the vacuum line thing can be irritating. Just persevere and it'll work out.

Regarding the fuel injectors -- it doesn't really matter how you hook them up. They all fire simultaneously anyway.
zonedoubt
Disconnect the connector (J21) at the ECU.
Disconnect all the fuel injector connectors (N19, N20).
Use an ohmmeter to trace the fuel injector terminals back to the ECU connector terminals, using the pinouts as shown in the circuit diagram.
jsayre914
ENGINE IS DONE !!!
biggrin.gif
drunk.gif
beer3.gif

now i need to put it back in the car. piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif

for anybody that does not know my engine saga...

i purchased an extra 1.8 engine w/ fi that was running as a temporary engine, plug and play so that i could rebuild my 2.0 d-jet into a raby 2056. everything went fine with the swap, then i found out when we removed the exhaust the stud on one of the cylenders was held in with some jb weld, hence the exchanger would not bolt back on. headbang.gif so mike came over and helped me drop the 1.8 back out so i could have somebody weld a billet plug into the head and tap a new stud. that went fine untill we noticed a huge crater in the side of piston 2. headbang.gif headbang.gif so we pulled the other head and i went ahead and purchased a piston/ cylender set cheap enough from performace. I got my first partial rebuil expierence under my belt. when i put it all back togeather with mikes help i went ahead and painted the tin, replaced all vacume and fuel hoses, plugs, wires, seals, anything i could make like new.

and now, i am right where i started with my temporary engine so i can build my engine huh.gif
jsayre914
anybody opposed to me putting the motor back in by myself??
confused24.gif

i figure it is a two person job, but after searching i found lots of people have done it.

i weigh about 140lbs and it weighs about what 350lbs no problem right. im just too excited to get it back in there and fire it up.

popcorn[1].gif

zx-niner
QUOTE(jsayre914 @ Nov 1 2009, 03:40 PM) *

anybody opposed to me putting the motor back in by myself??
confused24.gif

i figure it is a two person job, but after searching i found lots of people have done it.

i weigh about 140lbs and it weighs about what 350lbs no problem right. im just too excited to get it back in there and fire it up.

popcorn[1].gif

Balance the engine/tranny on a floor jack. Let the floor jack do the lifting work, take your time lining things up, and make sure nothing hangs over the edges of the engine tin as you lift the engine into the bay. That's how I have always done it. Slow and easy, stop and look around all edges frequently as it goes up. Lose fit nuts and bolts to each corner as you get them lined up. The most difficult part ends up being raising the car high enough to get the engine under it and around the axles to start the lift.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.