Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Trick or treat -- This was no treat
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mikey914
I Had just got back from a quick trip to SFO and back the weather was nice, the sunset gorgeous, jumped back in my car, I'm going to get home a little early, and I notice a slight fuel smell. I Pull over and as I do I hear a pop. I knew I had a fire. Called the fire department and as they were right there at the airport the were these in minutes. Made a pretty good mess.
EyeTrip
Dude!! You smoked a 944? WTH? I'm glad that you caught on and knew whats up before it got bad.

Any idieas as to what happend?
EdwardBlume
Geez, thats terrible. Sorry dude! I hope its not as bad as it looks.
computers4kids
From the pics it appears the fire started in the front trunk??? Electrical fire, but you said you heard a pop (backfire igniting)? Sorry about your car.
zymurgist
sad.gif
VaccaRabite
looks like you saved it before it got too bad. did the damage get beyond the firewall?

Zach
campbellcj
Wow, sorry to hear that!

On the bright side, you might have the starting point for a new racecar now wink.gif
Mikey914
I'm going to look at it a little more today, but it started at the fuel rail. I changed the hose out about a year ago because they are known for this. I think the failure may have been on the rail itself. Lots of melted plastic as I kept the hood closed to keep the fire from growing. Slowed it down a little. It is probably salvagable, just a mater of how much.
jmill
sad.gif 951 or 944 N/A?
morph
omg dude im glad your ok.
is this the same car you was driving fri?
james
pcar916
Ouch... sorry!
Mikey914
944 turbo, and yes the same one I was driving on Friday. My daily transport. I guess I'm going to have to fix my alternator on the 914 to drive until I figure out what I'm goning to do.
Gint
Yow! Well, while it sucks, it could have been a lot worse. Glad you're OK.
scotty b
Fuel rails are known to crack on these cars. My guess is you ( unfortunately ) have proof of that. Sorry for the loss, hopefully it didn't spread to far and is saveable:(
number6
Total bummer, Mark! I know you love that car, so hopefully you'll be able to save it. Glad no one got hurt. Putzing around in a 914 isn't so bad! wink.gif
Mikey914
I saw the LS1 and LS2 option. Fortunately I have another engine, but it's going to be allot of work. I may play withthe intake and turbo to bump up a few HP, should be able to get about 325-350. I allready had a webcam on it and a manual boost contoller. I was running about 18lbs boost.

What really gets me about this is about a year ago, I changed the short hose to the fuel pressure regulator, it looks like that hose is intact, but the leak came from the fuel pressure regulator itself. some how it failed and spat just enough fuel to ignite and keep burning as it dripped in after the engine was shut down. Luckily (if there is such a thing) the leak was small and the fuel hose didn't have allot of pressure after it shut down so it trickled fuel into the fire and the lack of oxygen helped contain it (somewhat). At least long enough for the fire department to show up. It just got hot enough to melt allot of plastic including the brake fluid resivour.
Sparky
Just enough pressure? Mine held full pressure even when off. Have you installed a pressure gauge at the end of the rail yet? If not ditch that acorn nut that is on there and install a small gauge, common swap and a big help chasing fuel issues. Sorry about the fire but glad your OK. All 951's need to be saved!
scotty b
Do yourself a favor and get Lindseys fuel rail. It's not cheap but it won't crack. Also I agree with what Sparky said. The rail has full pressure all the time, it is a good idea just for troubleshooting to install the gauge.

http://www.lindseyracing.com/LR/Parts/944FUELRAILBILLET.html
Mikey914
I actually had a gage, but when my mechanic saw it he mentioned that it could be one more failure point and it might be best to just hook on up if you need it, so I removed it. Good news is it didn't burn. I'll probably go the lindsey route as I have seen what happens here.
Cap'n Krusty
I've worked on 944s since they came out, and have never seen or heard of a fuel rail failure. Numerous regulators, though, and the "recall" hose. The Cap'n
VaccaRabite
Have you had a chance to get back to the car and evaluate the damage?

Zach
racerbvd
Do you need any 944 parts??? I might be able to help you..
Mikey914
I fortunately have a parts car, but I may need some as a few parts had been picked over. I'll let you know, as I probably will.

Thanks
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.