Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cutting off Heat Shields to make straight - lite - headers...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Cire
I have removed all my heater/fresh air stuff from the car. The exhaust still has those heat shields around them. I would love to get a header but they are a little out of my price range. Do I cut these and make them work or do I trade them to someone that has already done this? Just trying to figure out the best way to go on these. = )

Thanks.

Eric

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
michaelmoo
I wouldn't do it. It wont make them true headers. They may look like them, but they are not equal length. Just use what you have and save for the headers.

tat2dphreak
you would gain nothing. an experienced muffler shop might be able to fab you a header, but it still wouldn't be cheap, or probably as well done as the tangerine.

if you want a stop-gap improvement, SSI H/Es have a larger diameter than stock.
URY914
Those look pretty good, maybe some one here will want to trade a set of rusted out ones for you good ones. Don't cut them up.

In the end there will be no advantage. That oil leak will drip on the exhaust and cause more smoke than it does now.
ME733
popcorn[1].gif ....Your "heater boxes " do not look rusted out. Some one may need a set, and if sandblasted, would be paintable with high temp paint and even more useable., You can probably find some one to trade you/for Just the exhaust pipes/header pipes if thats what you want.....what engine /displacement are they from? info would help., and with just the hedder pipes, a good muffler shop or fabricator could (purchase)make a collector, and, "extractor""stinger", with a detachable muffler etc.(all the parts are available If you hunt around)....I clearly understand that the cost of any of the existing "racing exhaust systems" is expensive. I will be making my own also. popcorn[1].gif
tat2dphreak
they are 1.7/1.8... the bend at the end...

what engine /displacement are they from? info would help.

Cire
QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Nov 3 2009, 11:08 AM) *

they are 1.7/1.8... the bend at the end...

what engine /displacement are they from? info would help.

Great information. = ) I wont hack them up. If anyone in AZ needs a good set let me know. Now... Anyone got a crap set I can play with? =- )

Thanks everyone for the info.

Eric
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.