Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Conversion MPG ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
HUBBSTER
I'm thinking of dropping an LS1 or LS3 into a 914

A stock C6 Vette w an LS3 cruises at 85 in 6th at 30 MPG

I would imagine that w the same injection and computer the LS3 in a 914 would return considerably better MPG

Have any of you LS1 or Scooby conversion guys checked your MPG ?

Thanks
messix
the stock 914 tranny won't return the same mpg. the engine will be spinning to fast, the covette is only turning about 1500rpm or less to get that mpg.
you'd have to do a tranny swap or get real creative with the gears to come up with the final drive to get that high of gear.
HUBBSTER
QUOTE(messix @ Nov 3 2009, 11:23 AM) *

the stock 914 tranny won't return the same mpg. the engine will be spinning to fast, the covette is only turning about 1500rpm or less to get that mpg.
you'd have to do a tranny swap or get real creative with the gears to come up with the final drive to get that high of gear.

Thanks, so it seems a high overdrive 5th would help a lot
underthetire
I agree with the tranny gear ratio. Way too high of RPM at fwy speed to get MPG.
toon1
you could flip third and put it in the 5th posistion. that would give you a tall fifth.
RJMII
go with a Boxster S 6 spd and the LS_ engine. =o) Then you'll have sixth, and water cooled gear ratios, and that high MPG when you keep your foot out of it.

http://www.kennedyeng.com/vw_por.htm

IIRC the 996 is the same as the Boxster S trans. A Cayman engine will bolt to a Boxster S transaxle.
HUBBSTER
QUOTE(RJMII @ Nov 3 2009, 05:48 PM) *

go with a Boxster S 6 spd and the LS_ engine. =o) Then you'll have sixth, and water cooled gear ratios, and that high MPG when you keep your foot out of it.

Sounds good. Do the LS1 and LS3 engines fit pretty much the same ?
TonyAKAVW
If I cruise at 60 with the roof off on the highway I can get 34 mpg in my suby conversion. That is wit a 2.5 liter naturally aspirated motor.

I suspect I could do better if I fixed a few little things with the motor.

-Tony
RJMII
QUOTE(HUBBSTER @ Nov 3 2009, 03:53 PM) *

QUOTE(RJMII @ Nov 3 2009, 05:48 PM) *

Sounds good. Do the LS1 and LS3 engines fit pretty much the same ?

I have no idea.

I've been trying to get an adaptor to run my Mitsubishi turbo V-6 with a Boxster S transmission. I've about got the plumbing figured out to go twin turbo and make it to where I can keep my rear trunk as a trunk. There's a lot of info out there about the 3000GT VR4 upgrades and HP numbers, only the 914 is a third of the weight.
marks914
I have been getting a pretty constant 21 with my SBC 302 with taller gears. Not apples to apples, but its a number
Even if you git the gearing down, the areo on the vette is way better than the 914 which will dramatically affect MPG.
Mark
HUBBSTER
QUOTE(RJMII @ Nov 3 2009, 10:46 PM) *

There's a lot of info out there about the 3000GT VR4 upgrades and HP numbers, only the 914 is a third of the weight.

I have a 3000GTVR4, havent driven it in a while. I boosted that up to around 500hp or so
charliew
THe corvette is slicker but it also weighs 3200-3400lbs. The 1500-1800 cruise rpms helps a lot but the emu is the real trick part.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.