Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Window Falls Down
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
astronomerdave
My driver's side door window fell down in the door. Removing the panel I saw that it was just the little metal tang popped out of the round plastic piece which rolls in a guide at the bottom of the window. Popped it back in. Fine. Until the next day it popped out again. Like an idiot I did this two more times.

Finally last night I decided to figure out what's wrong. I popped it back in but left the door panel off so I could watch what was causing it to get stuck and pop off. I opened and closed the door, slammed it, revved the motor (to get vibrations), pounded on the door. Rolled the window up, down, fast, slow, part way, all the way, all combinations. I must have spent an hour and operated the window probably 100 times (probably about a month's worth of window action on the road). It worked perfectly. So I buttoned it up.

This morning I went for a drive and when I tried to roll up the window it popped out again.
headbang.gif

What is going on and how do I fix this?

Thanks,
--Dave
detoxcowboy
early or late model window regulator?
astronomerdave
QUOTE(detoxcowboy @ Nov 3 2009, 12:11 PM) *

early or late model window regulator?

Oh, sorry; no info about the car!

It's a 1972/4. No idea if early or late model regulator but probably original. Turning the crank moves this little metal tang along an upside-down U shaped track.
oldschool
QUOTE(astronomerdave @ Nov 3 2009, 12:01 PM) *

My driver's side door window fell down in the door. Removing the panel I saw that it was just the little metal tang popped out of the round plastic piece which rolls in a guide at the bottom of the window. Popped it back in. Fine. Until the next day it popped out again. Like an idiot I did this two more times.

Finally last night I decided to figure out what's wrong. I popped it back in but left the door panel off so I could watch what was causing it to get stuck and pop off. I opened and closed the door, slammed it, revved the motor (to get vibrations), pounded on the door. Rolled the window up, down, fast, slow, part way, all the way, all combinations. I must have spent an hour and operated the window probably 100 times (probably about a month's worth of window action on the road). It worked perfectly. So I buttoned it up.

This morning I went for a drive and when I tried to roll up the window it popped out again.
headbang.gif

What is going on and how do I fix this?

Thanks,
--Dave

I have a 73 I dose the same thing on my car it looks like the tape/glue or what ever Porsche ....sorry VW use? has just fall off or something.
any clues this would help me also.
VaccaRabite
There are adjustment screws inside the doors. Sounds like it needs to be adjusted, but I am not familiar with how the early regulators work since my car has late ones.

The plastic slide/bushing might need to be replaced too. maybe it is just worn.
Zach
oldschool
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Nov 3 2009, 12:24 PM) *

There are adjustment screws inside the doors. Sounds like it needs to be adjusted.
Zach

Zack what about the stuff that holds the window in place? where can I get that?
underthetire
QUOTE(oldschool @ Nov 3 2009, 12:28 PM) *

There are adjustment screws inside the doors. Sounds like it needs to be adjusted.
Zach

My 73 had the glue issue. I used gaska-cinch and its been fine. (kinda like rubber cement).
astronomerdave

There are adjustment screws inside the doors. Sounds like it needs to be adjusted, but I am not familiar with how the early regulators work since my car has late ones.

The plastic slide/bushing might need to be replaced too. maybe it is just worn.
Zach

yeah, mine is early, it looks like this:

early door diagram

but the parts in question are not shown here. Has anyone seen where to get these plastic bushings, or do you have one you could part with?
SirAndy
Unfortunately, it's usually the metal "nipple" that's worn which of course is attached to the part that moves inside the guide channel.

I spent hours trying to fix this to no avail and finally went and bought a good used channel with working guts and a good nipple.

I doubt a new plastic piece will fix your problem. Keep us posted, i'd be interested in a working solution ...
idea.gif Andy
r_towle
I thought George at AA had a brass or bronze solution for this?
No?

I know he has the little buttons that ride up and down the front track on the early doors...
Thought he made the little button....maybe that was for the later doors...hmmm

Rich
oldschool
QUOTE(underthetire @ Nov 3 2009, 12:30 PM) *

QUOTE(oldschool @ Nov 3 2009, 12:28 PM) *

Zach

My 73 had the glue issue. I used gaska-cinch and its been fine. (kinda like rubber cement).

where do I get gaska-cinch?
astronomerdave
Is it possible to replace the early mechanism with a late model mechanism (assuming I were to find one)?
r_towle
yes, but it would require you to modify the door frame on the inside.
Easiest way to do that would be to get a door so you can measure where all the new holes need to be etc.

You should be able to find a cheap door in your part of the country....heck I have 4 sitting out back..

Rich
SirAndy
QUOTE(astronomerdave @ Nov 3 2009, 05:42 PM) *

Is it possible to replace the early mechanism with a late model mechanism (assuming I were to find one)?

If you're handy with a welder, it can be done.
But be aware that all the guts are different and so is the window channel and the trim pieces.
It would be much easier to swap the whole door ...

Or just get a good used early window mechanism ...

Or find a fix for the broken nipple ...
oldschool
QUOTE(astronomerdave @ Nov 3 2009, 05:42 PM) *

dude there a place in my area that has a ton of doors "where do you live"
the place is in Durte Russ recycler
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.