Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A stock radio but with modern technology…
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
computers4kids
I wasn’t happy with the look that my modern stereo contributed to my 914 interior, so I went to a stock radio. Origninality was important to me biggrin.gif However, my radio also plays music from my iPod, or iphone. One extra benefit about the iphone, is I can turn on an internet radio station and play it also through my stock radio for free…a poor man’s satellite radio.
Click to view attachment
Our cars were outfitted with a variety of radios such as the Motorola the Sapphire or the Blaupunkt. There are a variety of options to connect an ipod, iphone or mp3 player and have them play through the stock radio…you could wire an iPod through the headphone jack directly to an amp as well, but I’m focusing on just enhancing the stock radio.
Click to view attachment

FM Modulator (hard wired version):
•One of the leads from the FM modulator plugs into your radio’s antenna jack, while the other lead of the modulator connects to your antenna lead. When the switch on the modulator is turned on, the radio starts receiving its signal from the iPod, mp3player or iphone.
•The cord that plugs in to the line-in port of your iPod (bottom) both transfers a pure signal to your radio but also charges the iPod at the same time.
•This option produces one of the best pure signals and is simple to install. These units sell for about $80 new, but can be had easily for $25 on eBay.
Click to view attachment

FM Transmitter Modulator
•These come in a variety of shapes and styles. Generally, the unit plugs into a cigarette lighter and the iPod. The unit then transmits the iPod signal over a FM radio frequency that is unused by local stations. This is the easiest to connect, but the sound out of the radio often has static heard when the music is low and the FM signal isn’t always reliable. Costs about $70.
Click to view attachment

Tap into the pre-amp of your radio
•Another option is to open your radio and tap into the pre-amp circuit off of the volume control. It can be as easy as removing one wire off the volume control and inserting an aux jack inline with a couple of resistors. You can also soder onto the circuit board. Combined with an iPod cord that you switch the pins on, you can charge your iPod while pumping the signal directly into your radio. Many of the schematics are available on SAMBA. Costs about $20. Here are some of the radio schematics on SAMBA. Here is a video of the basic idea how: http://www.metacafe.com/watch/897853/conne...isten_recharge/
Click to view attachment
Traditional ipod lineout cables do not charge the ipod, but only directs the music. You can rewire the pins on the cable if you want, or just buy one off the net.
Click to view attachment
Pin order Required to charge ipod and direct music out. (connects to ipod)
pin 30 (& 29 optional) Black color
pin 20 Red color
pin 4 Orange color
pin 3 Green color
pin 2 White color

Here is the wire code that connects to your radio.
Grd Black & White cables twisted together
Left Channel Orange cable
Right Channel Green cable
12V Red Cable

If you have a Blaupunkt, it can be easy as plug’n play.
On these radios, there is a DIN port on the back. A special cord can be purchased that allows you to directly plug in your iPod to the radio. You don’t even have to take the radio out; the port is easily accessed from the back. The cord can be had on eBay, just do a search with the words ‘Blaupunkt’, and ‘din.’ One of the seller’s names is mercedes.benz_vintage_parts_and_service.
Here is a link to one on eBay for $89. EBay auction.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Bottom line, you can do any of the above for pretty cheap if you are resourcefull. The video above on the "tap into pre-amp" option, shows everything you need to know about the wires on the ipod/iphone cable...how you choose to connect it is really up to you.
Good Luck

Edit: Here is a guy on the SAMBA that sells the DIN cable for a Blaupunkt for $20 delivered.
zonedoubt
Geez, $89 for that DIN to 3.5mm adapter. I made one for about $5 in parts.
Lavanaut
Thanks for taking the time to post this Mark! smilie_pokal.gif
ericread
By any chance is that the stock cup holder in the picture???

lol3.gif
computers4kids
QUOTE(ericread @ Nov 3 2009, 10:52 PM) *

By any chance is that the stock cup holder in the picture???

lol3.gif

Absolutely! bootyshake.gif
flipb
QUOTE(computers4kids @ Nov 4 2009, 12:34 AM) *

On these radios, there is a DIN port on the back. A special cord can be purchased that allows you to directly plug in your iPod to the radio. You don’t even have to take the radio out; the port is easily accessed from the back. The cord can be had on eBay, just do a search with the words ‘Blaupunkt’, and ‘din.’ One of the seller’s names is mercedes.benz_vintage_parts_and_service.

QUOTE(zonedoubt @ Nov 4 2009, 12:36 AM) *

Would you mind posting instructions for the DIY version?

Funny, my DD is a 2007 model year vehicle and I have to use an FM Transmitter. It'll be hilarious if my '74 has easier mp3 connectivity.

How do you select between inputs (antenna vs. DIN) on the Blaupunkt?
computers4kids
QUOTE(flipb @ Nov 4 2009, 07:12 AM) *

QUOTE(computers4kids @ Nov 4 2009, 12:34 AM) *

QUOTE(zonedoubt @ Nov 4 2009, 12:36 AM) *

Funny, my DD is a 2007 model year vehicle and I have to use an FM Transmitter. It'll be hilarious if my '74 has easier mp3 connectivity.

Just posted a link (above) to a guy that sells the cable you need for $20 shipped.
Here is a video how the cable works...super simple:
tat2dphreak
FWIW, there's also new radios, that look like stock ones that support MP3, etc natively, no having to use the FM modulator, etc... if you just want the stock look...

this is probably the nicest... even includes GPS:
http://www.beckerstore.com/product.php?xProd=6414&xSec=1

but there are several..
http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?Pr...de=ACC-C10-3525
913B
Pardon my lack of knowledge, but the older radios dont have an RCA input, only 1 neg and 2 postive for speaker out. Can I use the RCA out from the adapter to an amp ? I like your idea. Could you please elaborate.
computers4kids
QUOTE(porsche913b_sp @ Nov 4 2009, 07:47 AM) *

Pardon my lack of knowledge, but the older radios dont have an RCA input, only 1 neg and 2 postive for speaker out. Can I use the RCA out from the adapter to an amp ? I like your idea. Could you please elaborate.

You can also use the headphone jack on an ipod with the cable that has rca outs. Connect the outs to an amp and your good to go. This method totally by passes the radio. You control the speakers via the ipod.

However, if you use either the FM transmitter modulator or the Hardwired modulator, you send your ipods signal through your stock radio. You can still connect an amp to your speaker outs on the old radio, but that's just an extra not needed for functionality, just more power.
913B
Ok. I'll try that.

BTW Great build on everything on your car, very nice !!!

Thank You
underthetire
Nice write up ! I put a new Alpine in, but I think if i had to do it over i would have just used the Ipod connected to a 4 channel amp. It's all I use anyway.
tat2dphreak
ooooh, just found yet another option...

http://www.vintagevibes.net/Stereos/secretaudio.htm

JmuRiz
If you happen to have an old Becker Radio, you can always send it to them for a rebuild and put an ipod jack in the face of the unit.

I have a Becker Europa II Stereo and plan to do that for either the Benz or 914.
zonedoubt
QUOTE(flipb @ Nov 4 2009, 07:12 AM) *

That'll be $89, please. lol-2.gif

Stereo and mono diagrams. I put all the wiring connections in a little box and included a switch to bridge the correct pins when I want to go back to radio only. The DIN output usually has a cap on it with a set of bridged pins. When the cap is removed, it looks for input to the DIN.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

flipb
Come to think of it, my mp3 player has an FM tuner. And it probably gets better reception than the stock radio.

Guess I won't need to switch inputs after all.
johannes
QUOTE(flipb @ Nov 4 2009, 09:33 AM) *

my mp3 player has an FM tuner. And it probably gets better reception than the stock radio.

If you have a stereo Blaupunkt, I wouldn't be surprised if you get better reception from the old thing ...
johannes

TRANSLATION OF THE FRENCH WORDS ...

Entrée = input
Sortie = Output

MASSE = ground
underthetire
I just noticed. headbang.gif you did this whole thing just to show off that awesome gauge cluster and dash ! Very Very Nice !
flipb
Managed to get my digicam close enough under the dash to snap this. It's the backside of my Blaupunkt. There appear to be two ports covered by plastic clips - on the left, the plastic cover with a "leash", and on the right, the plastic cover with a small nut holding it in place.

Anybody know which of these is the DIN? Or am I looking in the wrong location?

IPB Image
zonedoubt
This is the DIN plug.

Click to view attachment
flipb
Thanks for the reply. Here's what it looks like without the cap - I think it's a DIN-7, but hard to tell.

Click to view attachment

(And sorry for the 35 years' of filth)

FWIW, I saw a thread on a VW board about someone who created a 3.5mm mp3 to DIN connector with an inline switch that bridges the correct terminals to make the radio function normally. That would be ideal for me. I'm checking with the guy who advertised on TheSamba as well as these guys...
zonedoubt
QUOTE(flipb @ Nov 5 2009, 01:35 PM) *

Thanks for the reply. Here's what it looks like without the cap - I think it's a DIN-7, but hard to tell.

Mono = 6-pin
Stereo = 7-pin

Some Blaupunkts may also have a second DIN type connector used for auxiliary function.

FWIW, I saw a thread on a VW board about someone who created a 3.5mm mp3 to DIN connector with an inline switch that bridges the correct terminals to make the radio function normally. That would be ideal for me.

That's what I made, works like a charm.
flipb
QUOTE(zonedoubt @ Nov 5 2009, 04:44 PM) *

FWIW, I saw a thread on a VW board about someone who created a 3.5mm mp3 to DIN connector with an inline switch that bridges the correct terminals to make the radio function normally. That would be ideal for me.

That's what I made, works like a charm.

Duh, my bad. I totally missed that in your post.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.