Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: calling Dr Evil, Calling Dr. Evil
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Bill Smith
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachmentI lost 4th gear in a DE - Running a stock 3.2L with a stock 901 using a Quaiffe

It does not appear to have caused alot of problems - from the pics - what your advice. The bearings appear good, just looks like I lots some teeth, but of course its not apart yet. Also where is the best place to buy parts?

Bill Smith
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentmore pics
Dr Evil
4th synchro band is shiny smile.gif Disassemble and lets see what is up.
Dr Evil
How far are you from me? You are welcome to come over and we can work on it.
Dr Evil
Dude, are those chipped teeth???? On 3rd??? Its not clear on my screen, but it sure looks that way. Yikes. I have gear sets if you need....you need.
scotty b
Mike they are way more than chipped. They are striaght out broken off. Him need helps
Dr Evil
Ya, I was looking and posting while on a conference call with 3 other people. Hard to pay total attention. Him needs gears and to figure out WHY that happened. = not normal blink.gif
That gear stack looks 'toast'...good luck with the rebuild....
Bill Smith
I am close to Cumberland, Maryland - I thought you went to Calif. for your residency. Are you still in Hershey?

4th gear lost about 5 teeth complete - and some damage to the mating gear. Cant see much other damage. I dont know how to decide if and when the sincros need changed - 1st does not look pointy.

I am in no hurry - Ski Patrol starts soon

Bill
ChrisFoley
Looks like, in addition to a new 4th gear set you need 5 synchros, 1st gear synchro hub (not pointy, lol) and the 1st gear slider is probably toast too.
You may need the other 2 sliders and maybe one or more shift forks as well. Take a look at the bearing races inside the main trans. housing to see if they are loose.
I'd start looking for a good low mileage core to rebuild.
Dr Evil
Still in Hershey. I have the major parts you need. I didnt even bother looking at the wearable items once I saw the missing teeth. tooth.gif teef.gif
Bill Smith
can you use tailshift trans for spare parts on a sideshift trans? mad.gif smash.gif
davep
Sure. The gear stacks are the same, just the shifter parts and tail housing are different.
Dr Evil
What Dave said smile.gif
Bill Smith
got everything apart - what pics do you need to determine where to go next?
Bill
Dr Evil
What looks broken or worn out? Most of it is pretty obvious, unless it isnt smile.gif
DNHunt
Bill

Here are the tools I used.

1st gear slider welded to a rod to hold the pinion shaft to break loose and torque the expansion bolt.

Click to view attachment

Wooden piece that I use to help align shift rods.

Click to view attachment

Like this.

Click to view attachment

Case with window to align shift rods.

Click to view attachment

Dave
DNHunt
I copied Dr. Evil for the first tool

Here is another view of the case with the window. The nice part is if you use an old 914 case you can tighten down the intermediate plate and install the shift console and watch it shift, then tweak it if you don't like it the way it works.

Click to view attachment

The jigs are just a replica of the bulkhead between the stack and the dif. Mike likes the jig better because he likes the visibility. I like the case because of the ability to test the stack. Pelican has the jigs
Bill Smith
that is cool - thanks alot

can you add the torque valves as well?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.