Here is the internet explenation of what this "spacer" does. Can't find it new. My 76 came with it for a reason....since I stripped mine, I'm looking for another....maybe still stuck on one of the heads laying around somewhere

Workarounds:
Recently I came across a section in the ProTraining manual that said, "A temperature spacer 022 133 079 is available for cars which run well on initial start-up and when fully warm, but have performance problems only during warm-up. This spacer does not affect the resistance values when the engine is cold or when it is fully warm, but it does delay the change in resistance during warm-up, The spacer temporarily insulates the temperature sensor housing from the heat of the cylinder head".

This is a common problem and I've experienced it myself. When I researched the issue I found no information only stories from other owners with the same issue. It seems many are content to suffer through the warm-up until the bus is at operating temperature when it seems to operate correctly.

I always wondered what item #14 was in the fiche alongside the temp sensor (item #41) and it appears to be this spacer. When I get my hands on one I'll try it out. The aircooled Vanagon CV engine has no such spacer available but the parts diagram for the FI Superbeetle does.

Click to view attachment