Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Looking for 6 conversion info
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
inschool
QUOTE(jmill @ Nov 21 2009, 11:27 PM) *

I'm going to do it. One year is out for me. I'm thinking more like 3 to 5 years. Until I get heat in the garage working in the winter is out of the question. Winter up here is at least 6 months long. Buying the furnace for the garage is taking a backseat to buying the 6. I gotta have my priorities. biggrin.gif

3-5 years is totally reasonable. Florida is nice in the winters. Just remember, it will start with the engine and continue to every other facet of the vehicle.... because hey why not, I'm already doing this much, right?

Good luck, let us know if you have any more questions.
retrotech
I have a 2.8 Twin plug, recently finished. Nearly $20,000 invested in Build of engine.
Maltese Falcon
Click to view attachment
QUOTE(jmill @ Nov 12 2009, 12:39 PM) *

I guess I'm old school where induction is concerned. I understand carbs and MFI. You don't need a degree in electronics to tune or fix them. You just need to be mechanically inclined. Plus carbs or MFI are period correct for the vision I have for the car.

Here's a good example of MFI, a 2.8 with lots of down low Torque !
Marty
sixnotfour
Marty

Thats Alan Johnson's X play toy now a center seater
sixnotfour
Bang for the buck modern day: 3.2

If your old school MFI
Eric_Shea
Out of the blue the wife gave me permission to spend a bunch of cash on the teener

She's having an affair.
tat2dphreak
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Nov 22 2009, 12:01 AM) *

Out of the blue the wife gave me permission to spend a bunch of cash on the teener

She's having an affair.

more time to work on the car biggrin.gif
rfuerst911sc
My 2 cents. I am probably not a good example on how to do a six conversion because this is my first and I've never driven a 914 before diving in so warning right up front. I purchased a 75 roller with the plan to do as much as possible by myself to save money ( insert laughs here ) biggrin.gif . On 12/1/2006 my chassis was delivered by the seller. No engine,transmission or wheels. But came with a fair amount of parts. I've never taken on a project like this but I am a DIYer in general. I had visions of creating a M471/GT clone. I wasn't even thinking about an engine for the first year other than I knew I was doing a six. So my theory was get the chassis as up to date as possible to handle whatever power I was going with. That meant front and rear suspension completely gone over and elephant racing poly bronze suspension bushings. Rear swing arms were boxed for strength. Front struts were replaced with 911 3 inch mounting ear for 911 M brake calipers front and rear. 20mm vented rotors front and rear with 911 ebrake. I added a 19mm master cylinder and a 19mm adjustable front sway bar. Stock 914 torsion bars with rear Koni shocks and 140 lb. springs. Every nut,bolt,washer ect. were cleaned up or replaced. So that took me thru the first year basically working weekends only. Then I turned to the body. I only was going to do this project if I went with metal flares it's the look I wanted. I was lucky enough to get in on the AA group buy of flares. Believe me lining up and then cutting off good body parts was a little un-nerving at first but once you're cutting keep going ! I welded the flares myself and it was a great learning experience. All that have seen these in person comment what a great job I did. I prepped and primed the flares and was done until final paint. I then directed my efforts on an engine and transmission. Found a pristine 901 tranny for $100.00 so that was checked off the list. Then found a 1978 911SC 3.0 in N.C. for a decent price ( $3000.00 ) and purchased that. I am familiar with the 3.0 because I have one in my SC. Very strong motor with few problems that makes good power and torque. Rich Johnson motor mount,throttle cable setup,oil cooler mods and I'm good to go. I am now in the final stretch of my 3 year resto and I've spent aprox. $25,000.00 so I am way over my original budget. But the pride I feel knowing I did it myself is priceless. Sorry for the long reply but my point is if you have the time and not too concerned about the money do the resto yourself. Good luck. beerchug.gif
Maltese Falcon
Click to view attachment
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Nov 21 2009, 08:41 PM) *

Marty

Thats Alan Johnson's X play toy now a center seater

This is when POC racer Ron Mistak owned it. It's a real nice toy !
Marty
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.