Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Clutch tube....... oh fuch
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Gigamight
So I was working on the project car today. I must explain before anyone thinks I'm an idiot, there was no engine in the car, and no cables, wiring etc.

So I was working on some real crappy work the PO did on the rear of the firewall, and something seemed to be missing..... finally found it by using a cutoff wheel to remove the top portion of the tunnel. My clutch tube has been jimmyjacked. It was cut about 14 inches before the firewall. there are no welds holding it in.

So I need to do some clutch tube work. Any suggestions? Please start at the beginning, after all, remember I am the guy who was working on the car for quite a while before he realized there was no clutch tube exiting the firewall. So, taaaaaalk sloooooooowly.
r_towle
Get a MIG welder and practice how to weld.
I guess I would have to see it, but from what you said, you are missing about 14 inches of clutch tube....

I would see if you can either find a whole clutch tube from a parts car, or plan to make your own.
You can open up the tunnel from below (ask Dave Dyer for a picture of the tunnel) and replace the whole tube from below.

Rich
Dr Evil
Can you find a tube that is slightly larger in diameter than the original, 14in long or so, and could just slide over the original while leaving enough to weld to the wall?
Gigamight
QUOTE(underthetire @ Nov 11 2009, 11:06 PM) *

Thank you for those links, I searched and searched.... Those will be very helpful.
Gigamight
QUOTE(r_towle @ Nov 11 2009, 11:10 PM) *

Get a MIG welder and practice how to weld.
I guess I would have to see it, but from what you said, you are missing about 14 inches of clutch tube....

I would see if you can either find a whole clutch tube from a parts car, or plan to make your own.
You can open up the tunnel from below (ask Dave Dyer for a picture of the tunnel) and replace the whole tube from below.

Rich

I know what you're saying, but without completely opening up the tunnel, I can't show you very well with pics.

Let me ask this; does the clutch tube originally run the entire length of the tunnel? Or does it stop before it reaches the front end? Because the tube is jammed all the way to the front end of the tunnel right now, and I can only wiggle it, can't get it to slide.
Bartlett 914
Does this picture help?

Bartlett 914
The tube is welded at 3 points. The rear firewall, The bridge in the middle and at the front. The tube is 12 mm OD with 9mm ID. McMaster Carr has it.
Gigamight
QUOTE(Bartlett 914 @ Nov 12 2009, 10:39 AM) *

Does this picture help?

Kinda....

Thanks for the pic by the way.

I still can't quite tell, where is the front end of the tube in relation to the front end of the tunnel? Does it stop at the side opening, or behind that spot?

I'm sorry for being slow on this guys, really, but it's like figuring out a puzzle without the picture on the box. Except in this case I actually do have pictures.
Bartlett 914
That picture was taken on a car on a rotisserie. This explaines the wierd view. Front of the car / tube is the top right of the picture. There are 4 tubes. 2 for the heater cables. One for the clutch (larger tube) and the accelerator cable. The accelerator cable tube and the clutch tube are welded at the front. I believe the clutch tube in the lower one (not sure). The front weld is the first to fail. Now it's your turn. Show us a picture of your problem.
Gigamight
All right, I am going to bite the bullet and start cutting the tunnel stem to stern. I'll get some pics and hopefully make some sense of what happened.

I do know this; the PO tried to fix it. There is a bracket of sorts that is not original that has been bolted to the floor of the tunnel. Obviously not a good fix.
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(Gigamight @ Nov 12 2009, 10:50 AM) *

All right, I am going to bite the bullet and start cutting the tunnel stem to stern. I'll get some pics and hopefully make some sense of what happened.

I do know this; the PO tried to fix it. There is a bracket of sorts that is not original that has been bolted to the floor of the tunnel. Obviously not a good fix.

Stem to stern? Maybe a little too much. The view I sent is the bottom view of the car. The tubes are not welded to the floor pan. The middle bridge is welted to the top of the tunnel as are the tubes for the clutch and accelerator (or should be). You cannot easily just remove the tunnel. You are better off cutting off sections. Show a pic.
rick 918-S
I went to an industrail supply house for truck and hydrolic parts. Semi trucks use a steel line for there air brakes that is a large diameter. Otherwise Mark had the right idea with McCarr Master.
burton73
You need to put copper in the front of the tube to absorb the heat so the weld does not go into the tube making a bump that will give you a problem with the cable later. . The same with the back. Be careful in the center, as you cannot get the copper up there. Or I could not.

Bob
Click to view attachment
r_towle
The tube stops up in front of the shifter about 10-12 inches.
If yours is jammed up front it could be it slid forward and you need to pull it back.

Rich
ThinAir
QUOTE(Gigamight @ Nov 12 2009, 09:50 AM) *

All right, I am going to bite the bullet and start cutting the tunnel stem to stern.

Don't cut so much! Take another look at 2nd link that underthetire posted. I included pictures with a tape measure to show the position and size of the flaps to cut. They are measured from the shifter hole for the front and from the firewall for the back. These flaps will open up access at just the right points.
Greenguy
Here is a picture that I took a couple years ago when I repaired mine...hope its of some helpClick to view attachment
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(Greenguy @ Nov 24 2009, 11:18 PM) *

Here is a picture that I took a couple years ago when I repaired mine...hope its of some helpClick to view attachment

That is one incredible shot!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.