Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Interior Ideas for a 16 Year Old?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
rebelmdot
Well the scary day has arrived my child will be behind the wheel, but at least it will be behind the wheel of a 1972 914 1.7l!!! I told her that I would paint it any color she wanted and put any color interior. She has chosen black for the paint, but would like some purple involved on the interior.

SCARED; ANY IDEAS???

driving-girl.gif
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(rebelmdot @ Nov 17 2009, 02:42 PM) *

Well the scary day has arrived my child will be behind the wheel, but at least it will be behind the wheel of a 1972 914 1.7l!!! I told her that I would paint it any color she wanted and put any color interior. She has chosen black for the paint, but would like some purple involved on the interior.

SCARED; ANY IDEAS???

driving-girl.gif

Interior ideas for a 16 yr old girl?

LOCK HER IN THE INTERIOR OF THE HOUSE TIL SHE IS 30!!!
jmill
A full cage and 5 point harness. The seat belts and roll bar pad can be purple. As you can tell, I'm the over protective type. screwy.gif
Cap'n Krusty
Will the nuns even allow her to paint her cell at the convent?

The Cap'n
SUNAB914
Young first driver in a 914 is scary. Maybe a bigger car for her safety will be better. Might want to think about it first.
SirAndy
QUOTE(rebelmdot @ Nov 17 2009, 12:42 PM) *

She has chosen black for the paint

Did you show here this thread before she made her choice?
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=43032

I bet she'd like pink better than black ...
biggrin.gif Andy

IPB Image
rjames
Young first driver in a 914 is scary. Maybe a bigger car for her safety will be better. Might want to think about it first.

agree.gif

markb
QUOTE(rjames @ Nov 17 2009, 01:20 PM) *

agree.gif

agree.gif
'73-914kid
Haha, I use the teener as my daily transportation. 2.0l 4, and I'm a young 16 years old. My car has a roll hoop and door bars though, and I'm working on the 5-point harnesses.. biggrin.gif

Best bet would be to leave the interior the way it is. It is difficult as it is to keep my interior clean from soccer gear and school books, and black hides stains nicely, which for some, is a big deal (open drinks and no cup holders) Purple wouldn't last too long I think.
kenshapiro2002
Absolutely...if you love her, get her something with air bags, ABS, and traction control. Ever read the stats on accidents in the under 21 crowd. Ever think about the difference in a drunk in a Ford Excursion hitting her head on in that toy or (at least) a Civic with modern crash zones, ABS, air bags, etc.

QUOTE(rebelmdot @ Nov 17 2009, 03:42 PM) *

SCARED; ANY IDEAS???

driving-girl.gif

tat2dphreak
IPB Image

but yea, if it was my daughter I'd tend to agree with the others, but I'd let her drive the teener around some times.

maybe even to school.. but the HS is about 5 miles from my house(or as I like to say, more than the 500 yards mandated)... not a long drive at all...
kenshapiro2002
Find the recent crash video showing a behemoth '59 Impala hitting a 2009 Chevy Malibu in a head on. Guess which one won by a landslide?
rjames
QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Nov 17 2009, 02:39 PM) *

IPB Image

Wow, does that car come with a gold chain and a shirt without top buttons?
kenshapiro2002
And a place to leave your shoes.

QUOTE(rjames @ Nov 17 2009, 05:51 PM) *

QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Nov 17 2009, 02:39 PM) *

Wow, does that car come with a gold chain and a shirt without top buttons?

Rod
Get her to choose a purple paisley fabric and do the door cards and seat squabs and backs - would look awesome.

Lucky Girl. I can't wait to let my son drive the 914 :8
Chicken
guys he is looking for color ideas not parenting instruction....

i say look at a nice light Tan... like the MBs or Current VWs
Ferg
How about Purple L.E.D.'s for the gauges, and stock black interior but purple neon under the dash will light up the carpet purple.

That way it's easily reversed biggrin.gif
underthetire
Keep the interior black, buy the wet okole (spelling) seat covers with the purple in them. Get black loyd mats with the 914 logo in purple to match. That way everything is protected but easily changed back. Maybe find a custom shift knob.

I found my 16YO daughter a mid 90's beamer with airbags and ABS. 4 Cyl automatic too, can't burn that out !
Sleepin
QUOTE(Ferg @ Nov 17 2009, 04:09 PM) *

How about Purple L.E.D.'s for the gauges, and stock black interior but purple neon under the dash will light up the carpet purple.

That way it's easily reversed biggrin.gif

agree.gif

Some nice purple lighting with some accents like the floor mats purple would look nice with a black interior. You could also ask Toast who did her seat covers and get some purple and black covers that look like they are seats. If she did change her mind later on about the color, it would be easily reverseable.
underthetire
http://www.superbrightleds.com/BA9S6_specs.htm

Only see blue, not purple though.
r_towle
QUOTE(markb @ Nov 17 2009, 04:28 PM) *

QUOTE(rjames @ Nov 17 2009, 01:20 PM) *

agree.gif

agree.gif

I looked at alot of crashed and wrecked 914's prior to giving my son a 914.
The passenger compartment holds up really quite well.
Ensure you have the later body doors....those are key.

If you doubt me, look up "rocket" and his restoration (and demise) of his purple car. He hit a tree very hard and walked away with nothing more than a bruised ego...car it totalled.

She will be fine.

Go for a retro interior with some of the early plaid on the seats...

Rich
raw1298
I have seen the aftermarket seats with purple accents. They also come with the holes for the 4 point harness. My first car was a ford pinto (I obviously did not blow up) and everyone told my parents how stupid they were for buying me the car. It wasn't the 67 lemans I wanted, but it got me evrywhere I wanted to go safely! smile.gif
GeorgeRud
With a new driver, can't you get her an old Volvo wagen till she learns how to drive? A good Porsche friend had his son go through a nice 914 and a 914-6 before he got through his early driving years.

Luckily, both cars protected well during the crashes, and his son was fine. However, the cars were toast and not repairable. They're not making any more of these anymore, so there should be a bit of preservation desire in our group. It just seems that it takes a while for new drivers to "get" it.

When my son had his first accident (in a Volve 245 Turbo wagen), I made him actually repair the fender/headlight assembly to see what was involved. He's a much better driver now!
jt914-6
Ask hot shoe914 how a 914 holds up in a frontal crash.....He had as bad of a crash in a 914 as I've seen....his nephew got a broke collar bone from the seat belt. Maybe he has pics to post.....
rick 918-S
I would agree the later doors are the ticket. Also the old seat belts suck. Install a harness bar and a 4 point. You can have terry cloth padded covers made for the belts in Purple. Install them over the belts with velcro. I would avoid the cage. Too much of a chance of a unprotected head or limbs contacting the bars. Unless she is going to drive with a helmet everyday..... wacko.gif
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(jt914-6 @ Nov 18 2009, 07:36 AM) *

Ask hot shoe914 how a 914 holds up in a frontal crash.....He had as bad of a crash in a 914 as I've seen....his nephew got a broke collar bone from the seat belt. Maybe he has pics to post.....

You mean this one Jt? I took the broken collar bone from the seatbelt, nephew took a dash to the side of his head!

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Mark Henry
One of our family friends 19yr/old daughter was killed in a car crash, hit the shoulder and flipped into a ditch.

She was driving a full size GM SUV.
kenshapiro2002
I concede...air bags, crumple zones, ABS and traction control were all useless in that situation. Now...run that SUV head on into a 914...

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Nov 18 2009, 09:55 AM) *

One of our family friends 19yr/old daughter was killed in a car crash, hit the shoulder and flipped into a ditch.

Mark Henry
QUOTE(kenshapiro2002 @ Nov 18 2009, 10:03 AM) *

I concede...air bags, crumple zones, ABS and traction control were all useless in that situation. Now...run that SUV head on into a 914...

At 60mph you're still both dead. How about run the SUV into a dumptruck...back of a semi...
I've see a lot of flipped SUV's...It's almost that season here.
kenshapiro2002
I concede...you're right...a 40 year old design in a 2,000 pound car is equally safe in a head one with a modern 5,000 pound SUV. When you're right you're right! pray.gif

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Nov 18 2009, 10:22 AM) *

QUOTE(kenshapiro2002 @ Nov 18 2009, 10:03 AM) *

At 60mph you're still both dead.

jt914-6
QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Nov 18 2009, 08:37 AM) *

QUOTE(jt914-6 @ Nov 18 2009, 07:36 AM) *

You mean this one Jt? I took the broken collar bone from the seatbelt, nephew took a dash to the side of his head!

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Yes, that crash Don....sorry I had my injuries wrong....It's been a long time since that happened...Maybe you can tell the story....It does show how well the passenger's compartment holds up in a frontal....
jd74914
QUOTE(kenshapiro2002 @ Nov 18 2009, 10:26 AM) *

I concede...you're right...a 40 year old design in a 2,000 pound car is equally safe in a head one with a modern 5,000 pound SUV. When you're right you're right! pray.gif

I know a guy who almost died when he got hit head on; he was driving a newer dump truck. Even the largest vehicles can still allow you to be hurt.

That said, I've had my 914 for 7 years. Its been a DD for the last 2.5 or so and I'm only 21. To be safe you just need to learn how to drive defensively. People aren't trying to kill you; they just don't pay attention. You only need to learn to stay away from careless people on the roads, but that is really true in any car. I would feel totally comfortable giving a 16 year old (provided they aren't stupid reckless) a 914. The reckless kid will hurt themselves or more likely others in any car; I feel that the marque doesn't really matter.

Sorry for continuing the hijack. smile.gif

I like the above suggestion of Wet Okole seat covers. They'll both protect the seats and look cool. Carpeting with colored edging would also look pretty good IMO. The best part is all of those things protect the car and are still subtle enough touches to make a difference without going overboard. smile.gif
IronHillRestorations
The best color for a new teenage driver is AIRBAG!
underthetire
http://www.wetokole.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?S...-914-Galery1971

This is what I was talking about seat covers. Only change the blue for purple.
kenshapiro2002
It's sooooo hard arguing with this kind of logic. Of course people have gotten killed in large vehicles. That's your rationale? Do you realize that cars have safety factor ratings? Of course defensive driving helps...that's a given. My DD has two wheels. I have yet to die while riding it while folks in Volvos have died...go figure. If this is the argument, I've really gotta stop, because it's nonsensical. The marque really doesn't matter? You're serious?

For your consideration...eliminate the marque factor...a drunken driver runs into you head on (happens here in Maryland all the time...not sure where you live). Which car are you more likely to survive in, a 40 year old 914, or a new Cayman?

Please...somebody who understands engineering advances in the past 40 years, feel free to chime in. lol-2.gif

QUOTE(jd74914 @ Nov 18 2009, 12:42 PM) *

QUOTE(kenshapiro2002 @ Nov 18 2009, 10:26 AM) *

I know a guy who almost died when he got hit head on; he was driving a newer dump truck. Even the largest vehicles can still allow you to be hurt.

That said, I've had my 914 for 7 years. Its been a DD for the last 2.5 or so and I'm only 21. To be safe you just need to learn how to drive defensively. People aren't trying to kill you; they just don't pay attention. You only need to learn to stay away from careless people on the roads, but that is really true in any car. I would feel totally comfortable giving a 16 year old (provided they aren't stupid reckless) a 914. The reckless kid will hurt themselves or more likely others in any car; I feel that the marque doesn't really matter.

Sorry for continuing the hijack. smile.gif

I like the above suggestion of Wet Okole seat covers. They'll both protect the seats and look cool. Carpeting with colored edging would also look pretty good IMO. The best part is all of those things protect the car and are still subtle enough touches to make a difference without going overboard. smile.gif

Teknon
I gave my 16yo one and he smacked it up. Boy was I stupid.headbang.gif
kenshapiro2002
I'm sure some 20 year old will chime in and say that it could also happen to a 40 year old. aktion035.gif

QUOTE(Teknon @ Nov 18 2009, 01:43 PM) *

I gave my 16yo one and he smacked it up. Boy was I stupid.headbang.gif

ericread
QUOTE(jd74914 @ Nov 18 2009, 09:42 AM) *

To be safe you just need to learn how to drive defensively. People aren't trying to kill you; they just don't pay attention. You only need to learn to stay away from careless people on the roads, but that is really true in any car.

In the spirit of returning to the thread title, I think we can all accept the above post as being the key.

SO let's just say that this 16 year old is an expert in defensive driving rolleyes.gif .

I like the idea of purple seat covers and accessories. So when she gets her tickets and isn't allowed to drive anymore, you can drive it around without fear of embarrassment. All because of the fact that guys in purple cars aren't like us normal folk... Not that there's anything wrong with that.

lol3.gif
ericread
QUOTE(ericread @ Nov 18 2009, 11:37 AM) *

QUOTE(jd74914 @ Nov 18 2009, 09:42 AM) *

To be safe you just need to learn how to drive defensively. People aren't trying to kill you; they just don't pay attention. You only need to learn to stay away from careless people on the roads, but that is really true in any car.

In the spirit of returning to the thread title, I think we can all accept the above post as being the key.

SO let's just say that this 16 year old is an expert in defensive driving rolleyes.gif .

I like the idea of purple seat covers and accessories. So when she gets her tickets and isn't allowed to drive anymore, you can drive it around without fear of embarrassment. All because of the fact that guys in purple cars aren't like us normal folk... Not that there's anything wrong with that.

lol3.gif

And just to make sure I'm not misunderstood, the comment that "guys in purple cars aren't like us normal folk" refers to an obvious case of being color-blind. Because, no normal person likes a purple car barf.gif

lol-2.gif
Drums66
QUOTE(kenshapiro2002 @ Nov 18 2009, 10:06 AM) *

It's sooooo hard arguing with this kind of logic. Of course people have gotten killed in large vehicles. That's your rationale? Do you realize that cars have safety factor ratings? Of course defensive driving helps...that's a given. My DD has two wheels. I have yet to die while riding it while folks in Volvos have died...go figure. If this is the argument, I've really gotta stop, because it's nonsensical. The marque really doesn't matter? You're serious?

For your consideration...eliminate the marque factor...a drunken driver runs into you head on (happens here in Maryland all the time...not sure where you live). Which car are you more likely to survive in, a 40 year old 914, or a new Cayman?

I like your logic much better, ken.....keep the lowest horse powered engine in the car,give her the keys and pray about it every now and then!!

BTW...my girl friend was born in Cumberland,in fact her mother and brother still
reside there, how close is that to you? We'll be visiting there soon,maybe we can
hook-up? shades.gif agree.gif
tat2dphreak
you cannot argue with it, ken, it's HIS daughter, he will do what he chooses. I only hope it's not a decision that he later regrets sad.gif

I like the okole seat covers but OUCH that's $$ for seat covers, do they fit PERFECT?! and never bunch up or come loose? because you can almost get seats re-upholstered for that...

FWIW, I lost control of a civic when I was young, driving on ice too fast. smacked a guard rail HARD. and walked away, and even the car was fine. about 5k in body damage, including a bent frame. but if I had been in the truck I'd just gotten rid of, I'd have flipped over the guard rail, and not been so lucky.

accidents DO happen. you just never know which accident you'll be in so you don't know which vehicle will be better in the scenario.
kenshapiro2002
It's doable:
Click to view attachment

QUOTE(Drums66 @ Nov 18 2009, 02:43 PM) *

QUOTE(kenshapiro2002 @ Nov 18 2009, 10:06 AM) *

I like your logic much better, ken.....keep the lowest horse powered engine in the car,give her the keys and pray about it every now and then!!

BTW...my girl friend was born in Cumberland,in fact her mother and brother still
reside there, how close is that to you? We'll be visiting there soon,maybe we can
hook-up? shades.gif agree.gif
kenshapiro2002
And there are scenarios where it's better not to have on a seat belt, and scenarios where it's better to not be wearing a helmet on a motorcycle, but "not knowing which accident you'll be in", it's a lot smarter to wear both...play the odds.

QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Nov 18 2009, 02:45 PM) *

you cannot argue with it, ken, it's HIS daughter, he will do what he chooses. I only hope it's not a decision that he later regrets sad.gif

I like the okole seat covers but OUCH that's $$ for seat covers, do they fit PERFECT?! and never bunch up or come loose? because you can almost get seats re-upholstered for that...

FWIW, I lost control of a civic when I was young, driving on ice too fast. smacked a guard rail HARD. and walked away, and even the car was fine. about 5k in body damage, including a bent frame. but if I had been in the truck I'd just gotten rid of, I'd have flipped over the guard rail, and not been so lucky.

accidents DO happen. you just never know which accident you'll be in so you don't know which vehicle will be better in the scenario.

tat2dphreak
oh, to me, there's never a scenario I'd rather be in the 914 vs my daily beater 98 civic... not many I'd rather be in a SUV or truck over the civic
siverson
I think that teenage driver safety is probably 99% related to the behavior/responsibility of the teenager, and 1% car safety features. You can get hurt doing really stupid things in really safe cars.

Fortunately, my daughter is 9 months old so I have some time to reconsider this.

But... I've had my 914 since I was 15 (33 now). I think it was a great first car. It was a 2.0 4 cyl (now a 3.6 six) when I was young, which is probably a good idea.
kenshapiro2002
Now we agree.

QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Nov 18 2009, 03:06 PM) *

oh, to me, there's never a scenario I'd rather be in the 914 vs my daily beater 98 civic... not many I'd rather be in a SUV or truck over the civic

ericread
QUOTE(siverson @ Nov 18 2009, 12:07 PM) *

Fortunately, my daughter is 9 months old so I have some time to reconsider this.

hahaha! By the time you blink she's going to be 16 years old with boys knocking at the door and her wanting the car keys! Enjoy the time you have now, because in a few years you'll never know where that time went.

SirAndy
QUOTE(ericread @ Nov 18 2009, 12:17 PM) *

QUOTE(siverson @ Nov 18 2009, 12:07 PM) *

hahaha! By the time you blink she's going to be 16 years old with boys knocking at the door and her wanting the car keys! Enjoy the time you have now, because in a few years you'll never know where that time went.

And the day after that, you get a phonecall with someone stuttering the word "grandfather" ...
huh.gif Andy
nvrupnvrin

Wet Okole seat covers do fit that well, don't bunch or come off. Had them in a Honda Odyssey, the dogs sat on them every day, four years later they still looked like new after a wash.

driving-girl.gif

underthetire
QUOTE(nvrupnvrin @ Nov 18 2009, 12:52 PM) *

Wet Okole seat covers do fit that well, don't bunch or come off. Had them in a Honda Odyssey, the dogs sat on them every day, four years later they still looked like new after a wash.

driving-girl.gif

And you can get seat warmers installed in them to! rolleyes.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.