mdl 003-74r and good price at $29.99

brakes on, virtually dissapears when off

Click to view attachment

gary gartner

Sorry, need to get the "ON" picture resized

be back later

gary
736conver
Got any install as you go pics. Wheres the wire.
flipb
QUOTE(gary gartner @ Nov 19 2009, 05:52 PM) *

Sorry, need to get the "ON" picture resized

be back later

gary

drooley.gif Can't wait to see the "on" pic.

That's the best 3rd brake light application I've seen on a 914. Might have to do that someday. Price is right too.

Every time I see a GMC bumper out the back glass or in the side mirrors, I'm reminded of how low my 914 is, not to mention my taillights. Feel like a 3rd brake light would look cool and be a good safety addition.
bandjoey
Looks like it's made to mount flat and the bulbs would then be pointing down. Did you make some type of bracket to mount on? CAn you post some photos of the install? Thanks Much!

This is the slimest design I've seen yet.
flipb
It's supposed to be watertight... wonder if it could be mounted above the raintray, underneath the leading edge of the mesh screen. Pretty much all modern cars are taller than the 914, so it should be visible to whoever's behind you.
idea.gif
gary gartner

OK resized (I hope)
installed with double stick foam tape and did a temp wire install by sticking to the underside of the rollbar with silicone, and hooked the wires into the bundle-power to a black with yellow brake line and ground to the brown. pretty simple, but no pics of the install. but no bracket needed cause it is only about 1/2in thick.

Click to view attachment
gary gartner

Damn, I suck at the piicture adding process,

Click to view attachment
zymurgist
Very cool! thumb3d.gif
Geezer914
What model number did you get? Can't tell from the picture. Very nice job on the install!
McMark
003-74r

Under 3rd Brake Lights and in the LED section.
flipb
Is wiring as simple as just tying into the brake light circuit? Does it decrease the brightness of the brake lights noticeably?

I just ordered a different one - gonna try the hidden install under the vent, above the rain tray. Will post pics when I receive it and do the install.
pjhaun
I bought mine on Ebay. They are called LED Flexible Strip lights 120cm (48"). With these light you can trim to fit. And they only cost about $15.00.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Sleepin
I wonder what that light strip would look like if it was put inside the aluminum trim piece right above it.....hmmmm....
tracks914
QUOTE(Sleepin @ Nov 19 2009, 07:22 PM) *

I wonder what that light strip would look like if it was put inside the aluminum trim piece right above it.....hmmmm....

Like this!!!

BTW Nice work Gary.
tracks914
more
Sleepin
Yes, like that....just all the way across. I wonder what the depth of the flexible strip lights are.

edit: something like this might fit under the bar and with 24 carefully drilled holes would blend seamlessly!

IPB Image
JazonJJordan
Awesome Guys! Those look great! piratenanner.gif
GaroldShaffer
Looks great. beerchug.gif

I used a Corvette 3rd light mounted on the engine lid. I do like the hidden in the roll bar chrome also.

montoya 73 2.0
QUOTE(tracks914 @ Nov 19 2009, 07:31 PM) *

Like this!!!

BTW Nice work Gary.

Nice work! Looks stock.
sixnotfour
Mines a taillight and brake light
andys
QUOTE(tracks914 @ Nov 19 2009, 08:31 PM) *

Like this!!!

BTW Nice work Gary.

Doug,

Very nice indeed!

Do you have the purchase information: On-line vendor/FLAPS/ manufacturers info/etc? Can't quite read the packaged info in the photo.

Thanks,

Andys
bandjoey
Autozone has 24" flexible strips, about 3/8" wide and 1/8" tall with tape backing.

Thinking about a long strip on the base of the rear window stuck to the glass. Really Bright

They make this strip in top lights and edge lights. Glue the strip to, say, the engine lid flat, and the edge bulbs point to the back of the car. I'll post some pictures tomorrow. $19.95

Found a multitude of flexible strips in sizes and shapes there.

2020 edit
(WOW. 2009 - today and still stuck. Easy to install and hide the wire behind the chrome strip)
tracks914
QUOTE(andys @ Nov 20 2009, 12:07 PM) *

QUOTE(tracks914 @ Nov 19 2009, 08:31 PM) *

Like this!!!

BTW Nice work Gary.

Doug,

Very nice indeed!

Do you have the purchase information: On-line vendor/FLAPS/ manufacturers info/etc? Can't quite read the packaged info in the photo.

Thanks,

Andys

Here it is...and in typical 914 fashion....cheap! aktion035.gif
LED Brake Light on Ebay

Here is the link to putting it in the roll bar.
LED Brake Light
Eric_Shea

Ha! Never Noticed that. Probably because I never saw the back of your car! w00t.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Nov 20 2009, 08:29 PM) *

Ha! Never Noticed that. Probably because I never saw the back of your car! w00t.gif

Oh SNAP!!! lol-2.gif
sixnotfour
The last thing I need is a guy in salmon behind me,
Ferg
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Nov 23 2009, 12:39 PM) *

The last thing I need is a guy in salmon behind me,

Think how I feel, we split the room blink.gif
Rob-O 1167
Has anyone put it inside the carustINov was thinking one could just attach it to the roll bar cover. Seems like that would make wiring the thing simple as you could hide the wires behind the roll bar cover, sides and the backpad.
Nürburg Nomad
Hey fellow teeners... I have a reputation on other forums for resurecting old threads so why stop with my 914! biggrin.gif

After a little research in this thread and this one here: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=82636
I've decided to notch my roll bar trim for a third LED brake light of which I already have two on hand!

The unit I have is removed from an undisclosed 2010 GM automobile, is super low profile and has 16 red LEDs with a white lens that is molded/cast to project the light rather than just act as a plastic cover as you see with many of the aftermarket LED lights.

So my primary question is exactly what color are the brake light wires that I'll need to splice into; where are they located; and does anyone have a photo or two?!

Additionally, I was throwing around the idea of notching the bottom side of the roll bar pad and installing the light there since it would be a 100% clean installation if it were flush with the pad and no one would ever notice; problem is the angle of the outside rollbar would make it that most other drivers (minus fellow teeners & small British cars!) wouldn't notice the brake light either! So I've progressed to cutting up a few 914 parts in favor of safety and visability. biggrin.gif

I also figure the white plastic housing will blend in better with the chrome trim than a red third brake light... (although my car is red isn't it?!) so we shall see, my only concern beyond simply finding the brake light wires is how much modifying of the actual rollbar/sheetmetal will be needed underneath the trim but I'm happy so long as I can retain 100% structural integrity even if it looks a little rough since it'll all be covered. Cut first ask questions later right! smile.gif

Thanks for anyones help and I'd appreciate a photo of the brake light wire location in the cab if it all possible... the interior is 100% out again at the moment so everything is accessible!
kerensky
I've been considering something like this for a third brake light. We need all the visibility we can get!
Als914
QUOTE(Nürburg Nomad @ Jul 24 2010, 11:54 AM) *

Hey fellow teeners... I have a reputation on other forums for resurecting old threads so why stop with my 914! biggrin.gif

After a little research in this thread and this one here: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=82636
I've decided to notch my roll bar trim for a third LED brake light of which I already have two on hand!

The unit I have is removed from an undisclosed 2010 GM automobile, is super low profile and has 16 red LEDs with a white lens that is molded/cast to project the light rather than just act as a plastic cover as you see with many of the aftermarket LED lights.

[u]So my primary question is exactly what color are the brake light wires that I'll need to splice into; where are they located; and does anyone have a photo or two?![/

Additionally, I was throwing around the idea of notching the bottom side of the roll bar pad and installing the light there since it would be a 100% clean installation if it were flush with the pad and no one would ever notice; problem is the angle of the outside rollbar would make it that most other drivers (minus fellow teeners & small British cars!) wouldn't notice the brake light either! So I've progressed to cutting up a few 914 parts in favor of safety and visability. biggrin.gif

I also figure the white plastic housing will blend in better with the chrome trim than a red third brake light... (although my car is red isn't it?!) so we shall see, my only concern beyond simply finding the brake light wires is how much modifying of the actual rollbar/sheetmetal will be needed underneath the trim but I'm happy so long as I can retain 100% structural integrity even if it looks a little rough since it'll all be covered. Cut first ask questions later right! smile.gif

Thanks for anyones help and I'd appreciate a photo of the brake light wire location in the cab if it all possible... the interior is 100% out again at the moment so everything is accessible!

Click to view attachment

I used a double connector spade on my driver side #2 break light and #4 ground. Extreamly simple.
Nürburg Nomad
QUOTE(Als914 @ Jul 24 2010, 04:32 PM) *

I used a double connector spade on my driver side #2 break light and #4 ground. Extreamly simple.

Thanks for the diagram you're a life saver! Back out into the 95' degree weather to work on this air cooled machine! welder.gif
tracks914
QUOTE(Als914 @ Jul 24 2010, 12:32 PM) *

[u]So my primary question is exactly what color are the brake light wires that I'll need to splice into; where are they located; and does anyone have a photo or two?![/

Click to view attachment

That is what I did. So the wires were a little longer but I just wrapped them up into the harness then went up the roll bar trim to the light.
Nürburg Nomad
QUOTE(tracks914 @ Jul 24 2010, 07:21 PM) *

That is what I did. So the wires were a little longer but I just wrapped them up into the harness then went up the roll bar trim to the light.

Can I ask where you ran the wires through the body? I'm half way through modifying the rear roll bar trim; afterwhich I'll section part of the rollbar lip and then route the wires. I wasn't sure if I should run the wires along behind the top rollbar trim; down the drivers side trim and then drill a hole at the bottom but then the wires would be in the wheel well and i'd have to drill yet another hole for it to reach the wiring harness on the drivers side of the engine bay?

Please clarify since I'm confused! huh.gif

Otherwise the modification is coming along quite well, if the light was 1/4" longer it wouldn't work with the curvature of the roll bar trim but so far so good. I'm glad the roll bar trim is 1/8"+ thick so it's still plenty sturdy with a big hole cut out of it, plus the clear 3rd brake light lense blends in well with the chrome trim.

Heh I should also mention my brake lights are going to auto-flash 5 times every time I brake... just like an ambulance! How's that for desireable 914 visability for day and night!? drooley.gif Yes it's completely road-legal too, at least in my state anyhow! driving.gif I'll post full details and maybe a few photos once I have this all complete and working! smile.gif Wish me luck...
Nürburg Nomad
BUMP! biggrin.gif
roadster fan

The unit I have is removed from an undisclosed 2010 GM automobile....

That's alot of questions asking for help and a bump, for an undisclosed part source........ shades.gif stirthepot.gif

zymurgist
popcorn[1].gif
sixnotfour
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Nov 20 2009, 12:14 PM) *

tail and brake at eye level
Zundfolge
How difficult would it be to replace all the brake and turn signal lights with LEDs in addition to a 3rd brake light?

Bulbs just don't seem to be bright enough and nobody seems to see our little cars. I figure its only a matter of time before I'm flattened sad.gif
pnewman
QUOTE(Zundfolge @ Aug 28 2011, 01:13 PM) *

How difficult would it be to replace all the brake and turn signal lights with LEDs in addition to a 3rd brake light?

Bulbs just don't seem to be bright enough and nobody seems to see our little cars. I figure its only a matter of time before I'm flattened sad.gif

Their are 1156 and 1157 led replacement bulbs on the market. I know that I have seen them on ebay for less than $10 each delivered. Some of our odder bulbs aren't as easy to find but most are out there. Just google or ebay search the oem part number with LED and they should pop up.

i.e.
1156 LED

ebay result:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2x-BA15S-11...=item415c979455
Ductech
For all you visibility obsessed peeps ... give this a shot to start. go to the automotive lighting and select the correct style of bulb. Their are multiple designs so go with the brightest with the largest viewing angle. I was planning on doing these upgrades myself.

I have purchased raw leds from them for retrofitting into 914 gauges

http://www.superbrightleds.com/
mikey63
I did the LED upgrade on my 73. I wanted a little more lighting on the back end, so I went with the 48 led round lights for the tail/brake and tied in the turn signal lights as well to act as tail/brake lights. I used 25 led strip lights for the turn signals.This makes the back end a hell of alot more noticible.
Zundfolge
QUOTE(pnewman @ Aug 31 2011, 03:32 PM) *

Their are 1156 and 1157 led replacement bulbs on the market.

Excellent! I thought you had to have some sort of power adapter or something to get the LEDs to work.
JmuRiz
QUOTE(mikey63 @ Sep 1 2011, 08:00 AM) *

I did the LED upgrade on my 73. I wanted a little more lighting on the back end, so I went with the 48 led round lights for the tail/brake and tied in the turn signal lights as well to act as tail/brake lights. I used 25 led strip lights for the turn signals.This makes the back end a hell of a lot more noticeable.

That's damn cool!
Ductech
QUOTE(Zundfolge @ Sep 1 2011, 10:52 AM) *

QUOTE(pnewman @ Aug 31 2011, 03:32 PM) *

Their are 1156 and 1157 led replacement bulbs on the market.

Excellent! I thought you had to have some sort of power adapter or something to get the LEDs to work.

Most likely he is talking about the more pre engineered led plug in bulb assembly's if you were to use just regular single led's you would have to use resistors to get the correct voltage to the led's
Nürburg Nomad
QUOTE(roadster fan @ Jul 27 2010, 02:33 AM) *

The unit I have is removed from an undisclosed 2010 GM automobile....

That's alot of questions asking for help and a bump, for an undisclosed part source........ shades.gif stirthepot.gif

Ha, well it seems this thread was resurrected about a year after I posted.... so why not resurrect it again!

The brake light donor automobile in question is a 2010-Current Chevrolet Camaro Coupe (Not the Convertible as it has a different red element LED brake light which won't blend semi-seamlessly into the brushed trim) The 16 LED unit is just a board and a lens once removed from the rear window/housing of the Camaro so assuming I get around to polishing off the installation it should fit quite nicely within the upper roll-bar trim! biggrin.gif

This project has definitely been on the back burner but the -$40 "Back Off XP" I installed inline for the rear tails (which flashes them 5 times before going steady) has certainly done wonders for keeping would be tail-gaters back from my teener! ( http://signaldynamics.com/index.php/produc...14&vmcchk=1 )
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.