Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tail light gaskets - Now available
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Mikey914
I am looking at the gasket for the airbox. I know I can make a part that works better and will last longer. I'll need a week or two to really evaluate. I'll post more in a later thread, but it does need some improvement in this area.
Larouex
Put me down for 2 sets

Larouex
charliew
I will also want a airbox gasket and can wait till the airbox gasket is ready to get the tail light housing gaskets so they can be shipped at the same time.
FourBlades

I am in for 2 sets.

John
Eric_Shea
in
nsr-jamie
Add me to the list too!! Jamie in Japan, thanks for the other stuff....don't need shipping right away so they can wait as I need to order a few other small things too, thanks!!

Jamie
SGB
Just checking back...
craig downs
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Dec 3 2009, 12:38 PM) *

I am looking at the gasket for the airbox. I know I can make a part that works better and will last longer. I'll need a week or two to really evaluate. I'll post more in a later thread, but it does need some improvement in this area.

Awesome glad you could be making this.

Do we send the funds in now for the tail light gaskets?
bfrymire
Sign me up for two sets also.

-- brett
Mikey914
I finally got these cut and the fitment looks good on the assembly I've been working on. They are close to the thickness of OEM and are contoured for the corners. I had a little bad luck with my 914 today and wound up having it towed to the shop to survey the extent of the damage.

I'll be double checking the fitment in the morning and taking some pictures I don't want to take any money until these are 100%, but they're 95% right now ( need to clean up the profile slightly and make a few minor adjustments to make it cleaner.

I'll be able to start the mailing to all of those of you that have signed up tomorrow evening. These will also be a bonus item for those of you that have signed up too. I'll elaborate more tomorrow evening.
Mikey914
Success, these fit nicely I'll be posting the pictures this evening and sending out the form letter. Looks like I'll be doing alot of cutting this weekend.
sixgt
Hi Mikey,

Can I still get in? I need two sets. Thanks.
Mikey914
Here are some pictures of the fitment. I couldn't get to it until this morning as my car was in the shop fortunately it was just the valve cover gasket.

I was very pleased with the way the material compressed to seal without putting allot of force on the housing. I pushed it into the track on the housing and then it installed nicely.
MartyYeoman
I'd like one set please.
Marty
Mikey914
Pictures installed in the track
ChrisFoley
A big vote from me for the cowl vent seals! clap56.gif
rfuerst911sc
Is there a " inside " vs. " outside " or right vs. left ? Just curious as I want to install mine correctly. Thanks
entomologist2004
I could use a set too...Am I toooo late?? Walt
championgt1
Got my PM. Money sent! beerchug.gif
Mikey914
QUOTE(rfuerst911sc @ Dec 5 2009, 07:42 AM) *

Is there a " inside " vs. " outside " or right vs. left ? Just curious as I want to install mine correctly. Thanks

There is a left and a right, however any one can be a feft or right by just flipping it over horizontally. One of the long legs is shorter than the other. The short one is the top. the fat short leg is the outer edge of the assembly.

You should be able to tell pretty easily when you try to put it on the housing.
scottb
i'm in for a set if not too late.

scott
charliew
It's in the mail thanks, I don't remember but I'm pretty sure the last purshase wasn't with a check but it doesn't matter to me though. Actually cash seems to be a better way to net the most profit. The cost could be rounded up. The cost of a good product that might be better than the oem part that is not available is not the most important thing in a transaction to me. Shopping online is pretty convenient especially from a knowledgeable humble, friendly manufacturer.
914runnow
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Dec 3 2009, 01:38 PM) *

If yah need a loaner for the Non Grille type..
For proto type......
I have a new one,,,,,Just needs to be heavily
insured...As said by others it is Unobtainium....
It will go on my CW 73 some decade..
Thanx Rx in Denver
OH PS need 2 sets of the seals for tails and thanx for these.
Will Paypal when notified....
hedgehog
if its not too late...i'll take a set

brian
jaxdream
Is there a recomendation for a specific type of glue or no glue at all and would it be glue both sides or which side you recomend?? confused24.gif As I don't want to make a mess installing the housings / seals . Thanks ...

Jaxdream
DEC
Mark,
You got my email?
Mikey914
QUOTE(jaxdream @ Dec 6 2009, 07:03 AM) *

Is there a recomendation for a specific type of glue or no glue at all and would it be glue both sides or which side you recomend?? confused24.gif As I don't want to make a mess installing the housings / seals . Thanks ...

Jaxdream

No glue is necessary, but if you insist use 3m weatherstrip adhesive. It will not dry out but is somewhat messy.

The seal fits nicely into the track on the housing of the assembly. Just clean it out first.
jaxdream
Thanks for the reply Mark , I figured it's better to ask than not ask, as I'm sure there may be others with the same questions .Thanks again for producing this much needed product. piratenanner.gif

Jaxdream
charliew
I won't be using any adhesive on any seal that fits tight in a channel so there won't be a mess that might require a paint touchup when the seal needs replacing. If you've ever used a crummy rubber part with adhesive that requires a replacement on a freshly done paintjob the replacement can be a tough job especially if the color is a three stage paint. If you think you need a extra sealing use a sylglide lubricant on the sealing surfaces and that will almost work as a glue. Water won't get past it unless it's high pressure.
dashgod
Put me down for 2 sets please...

Dave
ConeDodger
Just sent you a check. It is scheduled to arrive Friday the 11th. The "account number" I used when I set it up with my billpay service is Conedodger. I am leaving you in there as a Payee since you make some gUUUd schtuff! biggrin.gif Thanks!
detoxcowboy
I will take a set.. where do I send the money?? paypal/?
Bleyseng
QUOTE(detoxcowboy @ Dec 8 2009, 09:28 AM) *

I will take a set.. where do I send the money?? paypal/?

ME TOO! I am forcing into using my 914 as a DD right now and am sick of the water in the trunk.
VoPo914
Mark, I'll take a set.
jaxdream
piratenanner.gif Got my seals , GREAT product, thanks Mark , just what I needed . piratenanner.gif

Jack / Jaxdream
914ohana
Hi... are there any more sets avail??

Thx
Mike
Mikey914
QUOTE(914ohana @ Dec 11 2009, 01:21 AM) *

Hi... are there any more sets avail??

Thx
Mike

Yes there are, I'm working through the back order, but will be able to ship within 7 days.

I added these to my thread in the Members vendors section. the last one on the seals list in bold.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...=0#entry1113642

Thanks for checking.
bandjoey
Got mine. Perfect Fit! Thanks Mark
piratenanner.gif
Mikey914
Thanks for your patience on these for there were a few that I have yet to ship, and I'm packing up the last ones right now.

You'll notice I changed the normal price on these up a little more.

The back story-

The prototype we had some issues witht the material and changed heads, getting a better result. Thought we had the problem beat. Not that easy. We were cutting on a small section 1 deep. The problem had 2 parts that we had to overcome. The first run we stacked them 3 deep and started cutting. What happened was the rubber started "flapping" creating some sections that looked like spegetti. We then tried cutting 1 deep and 4x8 sheets. There wasn't enough tension to hold the rubber and it flapped a little different, but created a high rejection rate.

We finally started placing pieces of lexan every 2nd and could do slightly larger sheets than initailly we started with.

The summary on these is that we had a rejection rate that at one point was in excess of 50%, and wasted alot of time.

The good news is we finally got it right! The reject rate is back down to an acceptable level, but the cost for manufacturing did go up. For those of you that stepped up, your seals are now worth $10 a set more than you bought them for.

I'm not writing this to whine about costs, but to give you a little insight on the production of these parts. I've got a few more comming down the pipe, and everything is going well so far, hopefully they will be easier. Without your support and understanding on these I couldn't do what I'm doing. I just wanted to thank everyone and let them know all the seals are on the way now.

Sincerely,

Mark
AKA Mikey 914
charliew
I got my seals very fast and they look good. At the rate my other projects are comig in I hope the parts I've gotten from you and the other world venders have a good shelf life.
Mikey914
I'm looking at making these available with a self adhesive back. I need someone who can install in short order and provide feedback. Price is free, but would like some pictures and some feed back shortly.

Thanks
McMark
I can install 5 min. after they arrive. cool.gif
detoxcowboy
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Feb 10 2010, 01:19 PM) *

I'm looking at making these available with a self adhesive back. I need someone who can install in short order and provide feedback. Price is free, but would like some pictures and some feed back shortly.

Thanks

Mikey, I will do it. I have nothing to do most of the time these days..

I am your tester, opinionater w/ pics..

plus i have your other set in use to compare to..

joe perrin
357 s. olive st.
orange ca. 92866

Mikey914
Just a heads up on these, I now make them with a self adhesive back.
EdwardBlume
Nice. I'll take a set... do you also have the short metal trim on top of the targa bar on each side? One of mine is busted...
Mikey914
QUOTE(RobW @ May 20 2010, 04:08 PM) *

Nice. I'll take a set... do you also have the short metal trim on top of the targa bar on each side? One of mine is busted...

I do, I'll PM you the details.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.