Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: '70 wiring questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tradisrad
I've got a wiring issue I can't seems to figure out.
Here is my issue:
1. When my low beams are on and I turn on my fog lights my high beams go on along with the low beams and my fog lights and the dash high beam indicator.

My headlights seem to function normally when I don't turn on the fog lights i.e. high and low work seperately and high beam indicator functions with high beams

2. When I turn on my running lights and my fog lights (fogs on) my high beams turn on even though the head lights are still in the down position; high beam indicator is on. Head lights, high beam indicator and fogs go out when I turn off the fog light switch and running lights stay on.

3. In addition my headlights turn on w/o the ignition switch being on. Is this normal for a '70?

I've been driving a '73 for the last 15 years so this '70 stuff is a bit "new" to me.

My first thought is the combo relay is faulty, but I don't have a spare to swap out.
I've checked the wiring to my light switch, to the fog switch and to the combo switch and I can't find any obvious faults all wires jive with the "up to '71" wiring diagram. I swaped out the fog light relay and had no results.

Any thoguht would be appreciated.
thanks
-Rob
tradisrad
bump. no ideas?
904svo
Sounds like somebody rewired the Blue/white wires on fuse #1, there should be 2
blue/white and a Yellow heavy gauge wire on fuse #1. Check that first.
Rav914
For my '70 I rewired the highbeams to their own relays, drawing power right from the battery. The lows are still through the original wiring. However, I plan on taking them to their own relay as well. Doing that may cure the issue you have and have the added benefits of extra circuitry. I added my process to a thread a while back. Let me search for it.
Rav914
Here's the thread. Hopefully it will apply to your issue.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...f=2&t=63972
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.