Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Koni Adjustable Spring Perch and Spring Size
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Zeke
I have Konis on the rear. I want to add the adjustable threaded collar kits. I have to buy smaller diameter springs? What is the diameter of the spring that goes with the kit? If so, I have #160's and #180's for sale.
Jeroen
IIRC the most used the inner diameter of the springs is 2.5"

anyone know what length to get? 8" or 10" or....???

cheers,

Jeroen
drew365
The perchs on my Bilsteins accept 2.5" springs. I'm pretty sure the Koni's are the same. Hoerr racing has a catalog that lists 2.5" Hypercoil springs at every length and size for a reasonable price. I have a pair of Eibech and a pair of Hypercoil. The Hypercoil has a much larger coil and seem better made.
vortrex
the springs I have for my koni adjustable coilover kit are 10".
drew365
My Eibach's are 10" and leave plenty of adjustment in both directions. My Hypercoils are 12" and sit pretty far down on the perch. I'd recommend 10" all other things being equal.
ChrisReale
anybody have a pic of one of these set-ups?
Zeke
We need to be talking about diameter. Height is a moot point if you have adjustable perches.

Man, 2.5 inches is a skinny ass spring! Must hug the dust cover pretty tight.
vortrex
mine is larger than 2.5 inches, hang on...
vortrex
the outer edge to outer edge diameter is 3.25".

the inner edge to inner edge is 2.5".
Joseph Mills
Same here. 10" length
3.25" OD
the coil wire is approx. 3/8".
Mine are supposed to be 160#.

Zeke - plenty of room for the shocks.
Zeke
Vortex and Joesph, you have these on threaded adjustable collars, right? That was the original question, what spring for the collars.
vortrex
yes sir I do.
Joseph Mills
QUOTE(vortrex @ Apr 3 2003, 09:01 PM)
yes sir I do.

-same-

driving.gif threaded adjustable collars driving.gif
seanery
I have them too, 2.5 inside diameter. Got the whole kit from Performance Products.
Brad Roberts
Milt:

10 inch 2.5 I use Eibach and H&R. Call Jason@ Paragon Products. Tell him your with the 914 club and Brad said we get a discount...
Zeke
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Apr 3 2003, 11:36 PM)
Milt:

10 inch 2.5 I use Eibach and H&R. Call Jason@ Paragon Products. Tell him your with the 914 club and Brad said we get a discount...

This is starting to get difficult. I have Koni streets on the rear which were destined to get revalved. I can see that the collar kit is not compatable for the Koni street shock. What shocks should I be using? And what are those in the pic? TIA.
vortrex
I have the koni reds with my kit, which I guess is what you mean by "street" shocks?
Brad Roberts
The kit a I showed will work, but you'll have to run a 8 inch spring. The one pictured above is a Bilstein (which is a what I use when a customer wont pop for Koni adjustables.

You have the old red Koni's with the solid base (correct ?) They used a thick piece of plastic that you cut to get the ride height.

If your going to have them revalved.... dont be afraid to cut that collar off and move it where you want.

B
seanery
I have koni yellows.
Mueller
Left to right:

Koni Regular (for sale)
Bilstein Gas (for sale)
and Koni Sports (going on the car)

You can see the difference in the location for the spring perches.
Brad Roberts
I have a used set of Bilsteins also for sale... 5 $ cheaper than Mueller...

B
airsix
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Apr 4 2003, 10:54 AM)
I have a used set of Bilsteins also for sale... 5 $ cheaper than Mueller...

B

What a pal. tongue.gif

-Ben M.

ps - Always wondered where your sig came from or what the reference was. Last week I was working in the garage with the radio on and caught that line. Now every time I see one of your posts that stupid song pops into my head. blink.gif
Brad Roberts
I'm not really into rap or Hip hop (not like MikeM) but I like the song.

The other SIG I was going to use "Baby Got Back"

I like nice asses... not J-Lo big.. but nice asses.

B
914werke
I also got "kit from Perf. prod. and applied it to the Koni reds.
The collar was'nt machined to fit down to the original perch.
I think my springs a also 2.5 x 10 supposedly rated at 150 lbs (which was the lightest available).

Rich
Brad Roberts
I have to be careful here:

Lets just say.. we have other vendors who race 914's that can supply you with parts a tad cheaper than PerformanceP. Like Pelican or Paragon products.

B
Zeke
Thanks to everyone that replied. I guess I'll stay with what I have for the time being until I know for sure what I need. Right now, it's Koni reds with 180# 3 1/4" ID springs.

On the front I have 22mm hollow bars with Koni reds. All of the driving I intend to do is on a race track. No autoX in a parking lot.

The tracks easily available to me are Willow (big and fast), Streets (smaller and not as fast), Fontana (depending on track run, big and fast and smaller and not as fast), Buttonwillow (see Fontana note) and Spring Mountain which I've never seen. All of these tracks are relatively smooth but they have their bumps and grinds, so some suspension will help. Knowing as little as I do about autoX setups, I would more likely set the car up stiffer for the short track. I come from 30 years of kart racing and we had no suspension. If I were to autoX. I'd probably drive the 914 like a kart. I don't think I could help it.

What is driving like a kart, you say? Well, it's as smooth as you can make it, with a tiny bit of sprint car thrown in at the beginning of the turn. Wheels pointed straight ahead on exits. No oposite steering anywhere. Lots of trail braking. On the gas early in every turn. No rest.
Mueller
I just bought some shocks from Jason @ Paragon, his prices beat everyone (including Shox.com )

Also, sometimes it does not hurt to ask for a discount...

Don't go diss'n my music (just downloaded the latest 50cent album from Kazaa)
J P Stein
QUOTE(Mueller @ Apr 4 2003, 12:43 PM)
I just bought some shocks from Jason @ Paragon, his prices beat everyone (including Shox.com )

Also, sometimes it does not hurt to ask for a discount...

Now that's the kinda thing that I like to hear.
I've been pushing Shox.com for years. I may have to modify my recommendations biggrin.gif

You don't see this kinda thng ....elsewhere.
No wonder I put up with you assholes. biggrin.gif
campbellcj
I have Bilsteins -- was gonna order the threaded collars from Coleman but they have two sizes. Anybody know which one to use (this is the shock tube diameter)?

BTW last time I checked with Jason@Paragon, he was out of the collars, so I back-burnered that project for a while.
Mueller
Bilsteins= 1.970" OD

Koni Sport Yellow= 1.980" OD

Koni Regular Red= 2.170" OD
brant
I'm going to need some rear shocks...

mike, brad

what do you want for your bilstein's

brant
ChrisFoley
Milt,

What you have right now will be fine for the time being. Get some seat time before worrying about more upgrades. You will also need to upgrade the front if you stiffen the rear any more.

I just installed 2 1/2" id, #250, 12" springs with adjustable perches on my Bilsteins. They are a little too long, should have gone with the 10" length. The clips on the Bilsteins are at the bottom and the adjustment collars are also at the bottom. The ride height is almost 1/2" higher than with the #180 stock type springs due to the fact that I had to use a modified stock top perch to fit with my spherical bearing top mount installation, and the fact that the higher rate springs don't compress as far. I guess I could remove the adjustable collars to get the ride height down, and use washers to get the heights equal again.

I bought Eibach springs from Truechoice, which was also a big mistake. It took Eibach 3 months to supply Truechoice for my order.

I drove at Summit Point yesterday and the handling was prety good, after tightening the front bar just a little. driving.gif
Jeroen
Hey Chris,

What size torsion and swaybar(s) are you running?

cheers,

Jeroen
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(Jeroen @ Apr 7 2003, 09:36 AM)
Hey Chris,

What size torsion and swaybar(s) are you running?

cheers,

Jeroen

23mm tubular torsion bars
1 1/4" Speedway Eng. tubular front bar (1/8"wall thickness), about 5 1/2" arm length
16mm Weltmeister rear bar, about 9" arm length

I run the rear bar below the shock, instead of the usual way, and made custom drop links which allow full droop without binding. Last year, on a couple of occasions, one side got stuck after going over a curb. That totally screws up the handling, not to mention the odd stance.
campbellcj
OK...so for Bilsteins I guess the 2.04ID collar; 2.5" ID X 10" tall spring is the one to get. But do you want a 5, 7 or 8" collar?

Here are the options from Coleman -

http://www.colemanracing.com/section/index.htp?id=343
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.