Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mirror Idea? What do you think?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JRust
Okay so I have been kicking around an idea for a while. I've seen plenty of different mirrors people have used on their doors. I've seen a few tiny ones more on the small window than the door. I'd really like to see something that is a bolt on but has an extra option to it. So here is my idea

I'd like to replace the small triangle window on the door. I would like to have a nice molded side mirror along the bottom of what used to be the triangle window. Then above add a smaller window that opens on a pivot. Like you used to find on older trucks to bring air into the cab. Not sure what they called that window but does this make sense? I have a picture of it in my mind but nothing on paper yet?

I am sure this will take plenty work. Just seems like it would be doable. Maybe I'm nuts but I think taking off the original window. You could fab up what was needed into it's spot on the same window channel? confused24.gif
burton73
QUOTE(JRust @ Nov 26 2009, 12:15 PM) *

Okay so I have been kicking around an idea for a while. I've seen plenty of different mirrors people have used on their doors. I've seen a few tiny ones more on the small window than the door. I'd really like to see something that is a bolt on but has an extra option to it. So here is my idea

I'd like to replace the small triangle window on the door. I would like to have a nice molded side mirror along the bottom of what used to be the triangle window. Then above add a smaller window that opens on a pivot. Like you used to find on older trucks to bring air into the cab. Not sure what they called that window but does this make sense? I have a picture of it in my mind but nothing on paper yet?

I am sure this will take plenty work. Just seems like it would be doable. Maybe I'm nuts but I think taking off the original window. You could fab up what was needed into it's spot on the same window channel? confused24.gif

I had that vent window on my 72 VW Beatle. Look on the Beatle Convertibles to see how it held the top pivot in the frame. You need a Beatle Convertible vent frame.

Bob
jmmotorsports
It's doable, you would have to use Plex or Lexan since you can't cut the tempered glass. Maybe some of the early 911 parts could work,they had opening vent windows.

Jerry
jt914-6
Here's my plan that I haven't done yet. I plan to make Lexan windows and mount these mirrors to it. No "vent" window to pop out, but the mirrors should work.

http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productde....asp?RecID=1553
Bruce Hinds
Okay all you yard dogs....

I had the same idea. There are plenty of nice looking mirrors that I think would work fine mounted into what is now the little triangle window.(that was called a vent window, or also a wing window BTW) Replacing that with lexan would allow you to drill through for mounting the wires for electrical adjusting mirrors if needed.

My mother has a 95 buick century waggon that has some interesting shaped mirrors that I think would look good on my car. For a more rounded shape for you flared guys, our Sebring mirrors would look sharp. The key is to find some that have about the same size triangle shape where they mount, or perhaps a little larger where the plastic can be trimmed to fit.

I'd love to know if any one has found some that will fit and I'd love to see some pics if anyone has done this.....
B

jmmotorsports
QUOTE(Bruce Hinds @ Nov 26 2009, 12:57 PM) *

Okay all you yard dogs....

I had the same idea. There are plenty of nice looking mirrors that I think would work fine mounted into what is now the little triangle window.(that was called a vent window, or also a wing window BTW) Replacing that with lexan would allow you to drill through for mounting the wires for electrical adjusting mirrors if needed.

My mother has a 95 buick century waggon that has some interesting shaped mirrors that I think would look good on my car. For a more rounded shape for you flared guys, our Sebring mirrors would look sharp. The key is to find some that have about the same size triangle shape where they mount, or perhaps a little larger where the plastic can be trimmed to fit.

I'd love to know if any one has found some that will fit and I'd love to see some pics if anyone has done this.....
B

Bruce,
Here's mine.

Jerry
JRust
I love the look of yours Jerry. I'd just like one that sticks out a little further. I like the vent window as an option when it's cold & I have my top on. Really like to have a bigger mirror there without it looking goofy dry.gif
SirAndy

What do you think?

I think you need to buy another 914 now!

So you don't have time to come up with more crazy ideas ...
biggrin.gif Andy
jmmotorsports
QUOTE(JRust @ Nov 26 2009, 02:21 PM) *

I love the look of yours Jerry. I'd just like one that sticks out a little further. I like the vent window as an option when it's cold & I have my top on. Really like to have a bigger mirror there without it looking goofy dry.gif

When you have a V8 everyone is behind anyway,dose not matter if you can see them or not.

Jerry
boxstr
JR If you want to go the 911 or 944 look, let me know I have a bunch of those exterior mirrors.
Craig C. Laughlin CAMP 914
JRust
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Nov 26 2009, 03:29 PM) *

What do you think?

I think you need to buy another 914 now!

So you don't have time to come up with more crazy ideas ...
biggrin.gif Andy

lol-2.gif lol-2.gif lol-2.gif

Thanks Andy! That was definately good for a laugh biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.