Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT- Car Stereo Suggestions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Lou W
With Christmas coming up, we are looking for a stereo and need some suggestions.... I'm helping my best friend rebuild his 1967 Chevelle... A little history on the car, he bought the car on e-bay in New York 2 years ago, after getting the car out here we realized what a big mistake it was, rust, rust and some more rust. Anyway, after replacing the floor pan, quater panels, doors, front fenders, we are about ready to put the body on the new Detroit Roadster Shop Chassis.

Even with the setbacks, this project has been good too for my friend, he was diagnosed with the same cancer four days before Kennedy was diagnosed with his. My friend has been getting awsome treatment through Cedar Sinai in LA and his cancer has been reduced 83% in size.

His dad wants to buy him a stereo for the car, AM/FM/CD with an amp, front and rear speakers, spending somewhere between $500.00 and $600.00. Any suggestions?

Thanks smile.gif
Mike Bellis
I have been in the car stereo business for years. I would sugest a Kenwood head unit. many options availible like Sat radio, CD changer, HD radio. Good bang for the buck. Most ampilfiers today are not as good for total performance like they were in the mid 1990's. A good amp should run you about $1 or more per watt. Look for the lowest THD (Total Harmonic Distortion) Stick with a name you have herd of. By all means do not buy at flea markets or large multi vendor car stereo sales. 6x9 speakers will fit on the rear deck and 6.5 "seporates" should be used in the front doors. Boston Accustics would be a good choice for speakers. BA's are not very efficient and should be used with an amp for best sound. Have your friend invest in Dynamat or similar sound proofing material. it is worth the cost and effort to install. Pre fabricated woofer boxes are fine for most people. MTX make some decent sub boxes and amps. If he is a true audiophile, a custom box may be the way to go. Pick up a Car Audio magazine for ideas.
Buy a good head unit and good speakers. buy these new. Good used name brand amps can be great values and are the only car stereo items that should be bought used. Never buy used spaekers!
VaccaRabite
Does he want modern, or retro, or somehting that looks retro but is actually modern.

Zach
Dr. Roger
http://www.kenwoodusa.com/Car_Entertainmen...igation/DNX9140

It has bluetooth so you can stream music from your media player phone to your car stereo. It has USB so you can snag your thumb drive, loaded with music, and plug it into your car. Walla', 8Gb's of music at your command.

they make 'em in 1 and 2 din.

little amp for the rears, standard 25W per front channel, seperate amp for a 12"er for the trunk, and you've got a decent sound for that car.
johnnie5
agree.gif I have always had great performance with Kenwood head units and built up subs. For speakers, I really like MB Quart.

I actually wanted to try out an Alpine head unit in the teener to see how I liked it - I should have stuck with Kenwood!
Lou W
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Nov 28 2009, 11:27 PM) *

Does he want modern, or retro, or somehting that looks retro but is actually modern.

Zach

I think he'd would be leaning more towards modern.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.