Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Speedometer drive cable too short?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
carl k
When I got my '74, the speedometer angle drive was missing and the speedo cable was severely bent. I replaced the speedometer angle drive with a good used unit and put in a brand new Gemo speedometer cable. The speedometer/odometer still doesn't work.

Here's the interesting part, when I disconnect the cable from the speedometer, leave it hanging under the dash, and drive around, I can see and feel the speedometer inner cable turning. Alternately, when I reconnect the cable to the speedo and spin the back end (at the transmission) with a drill, the speedometer and odometer work. It's as if the cable inner is just a tad too short to engage both ends at the same time. Both knurled nuts were tightened all the way.

Any experiences like this? Any suggestions?

thanks,
Carl K.
VaccaRabite
I would bet that the speedo/odo is just broken. The Odo being broke is common. The gears are plastic and strip out. I assume that the speedo is similar.

Zach
carl k
Well I figured out the problem. When I spun the speedo drive cable counterclockwise, the speedo worked. When I drove around with the speedo cable loose and hanging below the dash, it was running clockwise. Turns out the angle drive gearbox I bought from a 914World member was from a 911 (part number 901 318 029 01) and these turn the opposite direction.

Carl K.
r_towle
Sorry, but cool to know.

Rich
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.