Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 World MVP
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
iamchappy
At the end of the year Vote for the individual or individuals that we consider have contributed to help us and others, organize and give back to the 914 World, above and beyond the call of duty... smilie_pokal.gif

Posthumous awards given to those we recognize as contributors as well.... smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif
tat2dphreak
this could be really cool! it would be a hard choice, there's a lot of members here that help so many people on a daily basis!
SirAndy
The title "Drivelmeister" is already taken ...

biggrin.gif Andy
agentblr
I think it's a great idea,we have some outstanding member's here that should be recognized for their contributions smilie_pokal.gif
Dr Evil
Sure, why not smile.gif
kenshapiro2002
Ooooo...Oooooo...I want one of those! aktion035.gif

QUOTE(iamchappy @ Nov 30 2009, 04:07 PM) *

At the end of the year Vote for the individual or individuals that we consider have contributed to help us and others, organize and give back to the 914 World, above and beyond the call of duty... smilie_pokal.gif

Posthumous awards given to those we recognize as contributors as well.... smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif

iamchappy
I suppose we would setup a poll like we do for featured members cars where we nominate people and others second and third them. This could be done sometime after the first of the year.

Maybe a Special Tee shirt or document or print that could be framed that honors them.

I would happily create and do the print or document.
6freak
I will only partake if its a silent vote smile.gif
tat2dphreak
I suppose we would setup a poll like we do for featured members cars where we nominate people and others second and third them. This could be done sometime after the first of the year.

agree.gif
EdwardBlume
How about an annual award.... there are lots of people here that I look up to...
Mr.242

I think that each person, if they chose to be in the running, should write a spiel about themselves and their givings to the 914WORLD for 2009. A resume of sorts.

I have seen some outstanding members this year and each has done some great things.

I just want to see a written background on the entire year and not be influenced by the "last memory" of what they have done.

Make sense?

It should also be named after one of the founding fathers of 914world! A memorial trophy or certificate.

My .02; when it's a penny for one's thoughts!

Mark
kenshapiro2002
Mark,

It's "Shpiel" not "spiel". If you need a jewish friend to check with ahead of time, I'll be your "go to guy".piratenanner.gif

QUOTE(Mr.242 @ Nov 30 2009, 05:11 PM) *

I think that each person, if they chose to be in the running, should write a spiel about themselves and their givings to the 914WORLD for 2009. A resume of sorts.

I have seen some outstanding members this year and each has done some great things.

I just want to see a written background on the entire year and not be influenced by the "last memory" of what they have done.

Make sense?

It should also be named after one of the founding fathers of 914world! A memorial trophy or certificate.

Mark

SirAndy
QUOTE(kenshapiro2002 @ Nov 30 2009, 02:17 PM) *

It's "Shpiel" not "spiel"

I beg to differ ... shades.gif

http://dict.leo.org/ende?lp=ende&lang=...l&relink=on
davep
SirAndy keeps this place up and running and I think is the unsung hero of the board. In some cases, having the forum is more important than the content.
kenshapiro2002
That is German, I only drive their cars. I don't use their dictionaries for Yiddish words and don't buy their shower heads either. Besides, even it deutsch, the pronounciation would be "shpiel", not "spiel". Oh...one more "besides"...I vus bein' phunny !

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Nov 30 2009, 05:27 PM) *

It's "Shpiel" not "spiel"

I beg to differ ... shades.gif

http://dict.leo.org/ende?lp=ende&lang=...l&relink=on

kenshapiro2002
From everything2.com :

Shpiel is Yiddish, and literally means 'play'. While the meaning and associations of the word have changed significantly, the it can still be commonly heard with its original meaning in the context of Purim, the Feast of Lots. Amongst the myriad of customs and observances associated with this Jewish holiday, the Purim shpiel is a tradition which extends back into Talmudic times. Initially a morality play re-enacting the humiliation, defeat, and hanging of Haman and his ten sons over 2,500 years ago, the Purim shpiel has evolved into a kind of performance art. Funny plays are performed which may or may not tell the story of Purim, but usually satirize community affairs, current events, or well-known figures. Children most frequently perform Purim shpiels in their school.

The modern use of the word shpiel, however, has strayed far from its roots. It now refers to any presentation, performance, or seemingly rehearsed verbal expression. It has dismissive or humorous overtones, implying cliche, repetition, predictability, comic presentation, cheap antics and salesmanship, or flashy over-production. Some examples:
"I think they'll hire me. They listened to my little shpiel, and it seemed to go over well."
"The vacuum cleaner salesman came by today and gave me this whole shpiel about dust-mites. What a goniff."
"I went to City Hall about getting a license for the delicatessen and bagel shop, but they gave me this long shpiel and then said to come back Monday."
"You want a pony for your birthday? What chutzpah! How long have you been rehearsing this shpiel?"
'73-914kid
Spiel is german for a game or match.

kenshapiro2002
Right, and Mark did not want people to present a "game" or "match" about themselves, and I was offering my services as a jew, not a german. lol-2.gif

QUOTE('73-914kid @ Nov 30 2009, 05:34 PM) *

Spiel is german for a game or match.

tat2dphreak
QUOTE(davep @ Nov 30 2009, 04:27 PM) *

SirAndy keeps this place up and running and I think is the unsung hero of the board. In some cases, having the forum is more important than the content.

agree.gif you are stealing my nomination, damnit poke.gif
'73-914kid
Either way you put it, It's a good idea I think. There have been many people on here that have helped me, and help everyone else.
Voting at the end of the year works I think.
davep
QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Nov 30 2009, 02:41 PM) *

agree.gif you are stealing my nomination, damnit poke.gif

You snooze, you lose! biggrin.gif beerchug.gif
Dr Evil
I like the resume and silent ideas. Silent nominations as well. People should send their nominations to a central person to pic the top 3 or so based on submissions.
iamchappy
I personally like the nomination and vote by the members, the resume and self promotion is not a bad idea but many of the people i know who are deserving of honor are way to humble to write about themselves and what they have done, let alone accept the praise. Testimonials should be coming more from the people that received the help, or recognition of there contributions, from individuals who nominated them.
tat2dphreak
that's a good idea mike, I was thinking maybe give the reasons in your nomination, but if it's silent, then there's no "Me too" smile.gif

I know I can think of a 1/2 dozen that are deserving very quickly, and I'm sure there are dozens more. smile.gif
Dr Evil
Chap, good point.
carr914
I like the idea, but picking one MVP would be tough. Maybe we could have a MVP team of 3-5 people.

T.C.
sww914
I thought we already voted for King of 914's earlier in the year, prompted by some spewing of self-announced greatness.
r_towle
QUOTE(sww914 @ Nov 30 2009, 08:30 PM) *

I thought we already voted for King of 914's earlier in the year, prompted by some spewing of self-announced greatness.

Maybe so, but who is the Emperor of all things 914?

Rich
hot_shoe914
Well I did, no wait, that was Scotty. But I did do.no, that was Andy. But I definitely.., crap, that was Rick. Well I guess I didn't do anything...no, dang it, that was Clay. I give up, just give the damn award to somebody else! confused24.gif sheeplove.gif
r_towle
QUOTE(sww914 @ Nov 30 2009, 08:30 PM) *

Costco Rocks
computers4kids
I can think of a "member vendor" that in my mind deserves a nomination for MVP of the year?
Jake Raby
Selecting a single person for this title would promote individualism.. These groups are all about a mass of people with different experiences and knowledge who pool all that together.

If you do this think about selecting a **few** people as the MVPs of the site.. Call them the "Most Valuable Posters"..
championgt1
QUOTE(sww914 @ Nov 30 2009, 05:30 PM) *

lol-2.gif
iamchappy
Over the years i have seen many of our people display acts of selflessness, who go out of there way to make things happen, this honor is about them. Being a poster and helping everyone out with information is one thing and pure acts of selfless and charitable causes for the love of 914's and the community and the members are another. A group of people could be nominated that i see fit this honor. These people
should have there Aviator properly titled with this honor.
6freak

Mark,

It's "Shpiel" not "spiel". If you need a jewish friend to check with ahead of time, I'll be your "go to guy".piratenanner.gif

QUOTE(Mr.242 @ Nov 30 2009, 05:11 PM) *

Make sense?

Mark

In the Pacific Northwest its Spiel...Just like the smilie_pokal.gif local PCA monthly mag.....Oh yah BACK TO THE SHOW
veltror
I would replace the write some spiel with

write some bollocks about themselves.. ( this noun/adj is interchangeable everuwhere)

problem solved...
Dr Evil
My wife would approve. Bollocks is one of her favorite words smile.gif
scotty b
Never mind the bollocks, how about this voting thingy. I agree it needs to be done anonymously, so as to not sway any others thoughts. If it were for a group, which I think is a great idea, I would have to nominate everyone involved in the Shortridge build. I haven't seen a better example of this place coming together for a proper cause in a long time smile.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Dec 1 2009, 10:34 AM) *

Funny... When I met her, I thought your wife was the classy one in your couple..

poke.gif

kenshapiro2002
Process of elimination?

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Dec 1 2009, 09:20 PM) *

Funny... When I met her, [b]I thought your wife was the classy one in your couple.[/b].

poke.gif

ClayPerrine
QUOTE(kenshapiro2002 @ Dec 1 2009, 08:22 PM) *

Process of elimination?

Funny... When I met her, [b]I thought your wife was the classy one in your couple.[/b].

poke.gif

Yea.. pretty much... When a beautiful woman walks up on the arm of Uncle Fester, you kinda figure she is either completely mental, or too classy to mention that he looks like Uncle Fester.

poke.gif
iamchappy
QUOTE(scotty b @ Dec 1 2009, 08:19 PM) *

Never mind the bollocks, how about this voting thingy. I agree it needs to be done anonymously, so as to not sway any others thoughts. If it were for a group, which I think is a great idea, I would have to nominate everyone involved in the Shortridge build. I haven't seen a better example of this place coming together for a proper cause in a long time smile.gif

My thoughts exactly, i had thought about proposing this idea for awhile, and the Mary Shortridge build thread got me to finally post it. All are worthy.

Without naming names the alien.gif is as fine person you will ever meet and one of the most giving selfless people i know.
ericread
If we're going to do this, we should consider categories:

Best Overall Contributor
Best Welding Thread
Best Informational Thread
Most Innovative Idea
Best 914 Picture of 2009
Best "Back From the Grave" Thread

Otherwise, we really don't get a real feel for all the threads and the people that made these threads special.

Eric
Dr Evil
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Dec 1 2009, 09:30 PM) *

QUOTE(kenshapiro2002 @ Dec 1 2009, 08:22 PM) *

Process of elimination?

poke.gif

Yea.. pretty much... When a beautiful woman walks up on the arm of Uncle Fester, you kinda figure she is either completely mental, or too classy to mention that he looks like Uncle Fester.

poke.gif

Har har, She reads Jane Austin and loves British slang like "bollocks". I dont have to be pretty with my great personality teef.gif tooth.gif
PanelBilly
Sending a PM to the person (or persons) you think should be thanked for their efforts may be an alternative to the public "pat on the back. Even if we have a vote and pick someone from the group, I think a note from one member to another will have a bigger impact.
Joe Bob
Pull my finger.....
Mark Henry
I think that the peeps who have done good are well known and respected. Do they really crave praise that badly? I bet many don't. Putting certain people on a pedestal can lead to resentment by those who think (deservedly or not) they should have be in the running.
Also there are already many cliques here, so what group gets the final say? Do you really need to go back to high school to remember that crap?

And is there really anyone here that is so full of themselves that they would actually write a resumé?

Then it can also get to the down right ridiculous like an award for "best pinky lift during a shift".

Sorry my opinion is it's a good thought, but a bad idea.

(BTW IMHO Sir Andy deserves the praise, and he ALWAYS plays down his importance. I respect that.)
kenshapiro2002
agree.gif

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Dec 2 2009, 07:41 AM) *

I think that the peeps who have done good are well known and respected. Do they really crave praise that badly? I bet many don't. Putting certain people on a pedestal can lead to resentment by those who think (deservedly or not) they should have be in the running.
Also there are already many cliques here, so what group gets the final say? Do you really need to go back to high school to remember that crap?

And is there really anyone here that is so full of themselves that they would actually write a resumé?

Then it can also get to the down right ridiculous like an award for "best pinky lift during a shift".

(BTW IMHO Sir Andy deserves the praise, and he ALWAYS plays down his importance. I respect that.)

agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif
URY914
I vote for Dr. Evil for putting on the rebuild clincs.
Gint
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Dec 2 2009, 05:41 AM) *

agree.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.