Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What kind of steering rack/ tie rod set up is this?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
wayne1234
As Always, You always run into something else, when I had the front wheels off doing some welding I noticed the "new tie rod ends" had old rubber put back on . The actually tie rod end does look new but the rubber has not been replaced and the boots going to the steering rack are barley there rotting away... But the rack arms look nice and clean so I just need the boots for that where do I get the boots.. and on the tie rods where do I get the boots for that... Everything I have seen pictures of the tie rods use a "U" shape to connect to the rack,,, this is is a pivot ball ? What do I have going on here? what kind of rack is it it has the following # 914.347.014.01, Thanks Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
wayne1234
Click to view attachment
dlee6204
Those are turbo tie rods. Typically the cheapo versions of these bought off Ebay or elsewhere have the rubber boots rot away prematurely. Most people recommend using Lemforder brand due to the better quality and your boots won't disappear after a matter of weeks.
SirAndy
QUOTE(dlee6204 @ Dec 1 2009, 09:43 AM) *

Those are turbo tie rods. Typically the cheapo versions of these bought off Ebay or elsewhere have the rubber boots rot away prematurely. Most people recommend using Lemforder brand due to the better quality and your boots won't disappear after a matter of weeks.

agree.gif

I'm not sure you can get just the boots. It's very common for those cheap china knock-offs to have the boots disintegrate after just a few weeks.
dry.gif Andy
914werke
PM me I have a set of bellows smile.gif but I dont know where you get replacement tie rod end boots.
burton73
QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Dec 1 2009, 10:30 AM) *

PM me I have a set of bellows smile.gif but I dont know where you get replacement tie rod end boots.

When they are shot just get new tie rod ends.
wayne1234
which tie rod ends am I looking for? just stock 75 914? or is it different now?
Spoke
I believe they're called "Turbo Tie Rods" because they were used on the 911 Turbo and they adapt well to the 914 and other 911's.

They can be purchased at the usual suspects: AA, PP, GPR, ...

As mentioned, do not buy from ebay vendors.

I bought a set once from a vendor on ebay and I received an email from an unknown person telling me to void the transaction, send them back, etc., because of the cheap rubber on the ebay versions.

Go with Lemforder turbo tie rods.
StratPlayer
You can get everything you need here

http://www.pmbperformance.com/teener.html
Dr Evil
Also call the guys at German Parts and Restoration. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.