Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pressing out suspension bushings
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
thesey914
Don't burn the rubber out if you have a press. It takes me 15minutes per side on the front control arms to push off the old ones. The rear takes about 30 minutes per side to push them out.

Quoting Brad from the classic forums on his preferred method of bush removal.
Wanting to make a *pro* job of it I want to try this method.
The problem is with this I don't think there is much in the way of a surface (other than the splines -not good) to press against.
The fronts seem fairly straight forward but its the rears I'm thinking that will be pose problems
-J
Mueller
use a socket (female) to cover the threaded portion (male)

i hope you get the idea of what goes where?!?!?! laugh.gif

another benifit of the socket is if the stroke of your press is too short, an extension will fit on the socket........
Jeffs9146
I did this the other day with Patrick and it was very easy!

Jeff
thesey914
Oops sorry guys.....I was talking about the A -arms wacko.gif
Brad Roberts
Same thing. Use a large junk/elcheapo socket that fits the inner round area. Press on it. The fronts come out REAL easy on the press.

B
thesey914
Ok will do. Looks like who ever pressed on the present bushings did so without grease as the rear bushes appear "bunched up" and the outer bearing wont push in enough (even on the press 500psi).
This means the front two bolt holes won't line up -Hence the replacement. I hope the poly bushings aren't too harsh.
L8Apex
Yes, don't do what Jeffs9146 did and wear sandals. ohmy.gif
Jeffs9146
Yes, don't do what Jeffs9146 did and wear sandals.

That's only for the experts!! laugh.gif

You gota love California!!

Jeff
thesey914
QUOTE(L8Apex @ Mar 19 2004, 03:13 PM)
Yes, don't do what Jeffs9146 did and wear sandals.   ohmy.gif

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif I saw that PP tech article. Just wish we had weather clement enough to ware shower shoes -Great article all the same Jeff
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.