Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A week with webers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
krk
Folks,

As some will know, I pressed my /6 into daily driver status last week, and I guess it's been about 7 days. (while the car has been on the parking pad for quite some time, I've never "gotten to know it" much since it arrived) In particular, I've not driven a carbed car as a daily driver in years.

It does't run perfectly yet (of course), but I have a short story from yesterday. The day before yesterday, it started running crappy -- the 5 cylinder wonkle -- I had picked up gas that day -- hmm... -- anyway, here's the interesting bit. Having discected my webers a couple of times, I understand in principle how they work. Knowing that allowed me to get past my annoyance, and play with how the car drove. 5 cylinders at idle, but seemed ok on accel, and full throttle. Playing with spark plug wires isolated the offender, and pulling the idle jet revealed crap in the jet. Life is once again fine.

Things of interest:
a. in city traffic, you really do spend your life on the idle circuit. On my car, the transition is around 2800 or 2900 rpm. By 3K, you're well off the idles and onto the mains.
b. it really is the case that the transition can be felt. It's subtle if all cylinders are firing, but when one is out on one circuit it becomes more obvious. Once it was all working, I can still feel where the transition happens, but it is pretty subtle.

Back to your friday afternoon toils.

kim.

PS. All of this weekly driving has been with the roof off -- it's been in the trunk all week. I know you needed to know this. I needed to tell you. heh.
Mueller
Kim,

Electronic Fuel Injection....it's a wonderful thing smile.gif

come to the "other" dark side, hahahaha
krk
Dude,

You'll laugh. When I first owned Lyrssa's car, the FI drove me crazy. I had no instinct for it, and each failure seemed completely unintuitive to a seat-of-the-pants carb-guy. Eventually, I just replaced every line of hose on the engine -- a world of difference. Most of it was prolly orig, and there were many leaks that were fixed. The car was a "different car" after that. That was probably 7 years ago. I've lost my "carb secret squirrel" ring! It does have me digging for "old stuff" from holley days, and such.

When was the last time you thought about whether you were on the idle circuit or the mains as you were driving?

Now, I could be convinced to switch to EFI if it was attached to a 3.2.... heh laugh.gif

kim.
Mueller
When was the last time you thought about whether you were on the idle circuit or the mains as you were driving?

I'd need "Carb's for Dummies" clown.gif

totally clueless...and not ashamed to admit it, LOL
TimT
Kim,

make sure you have good fuel filters... or a good fuel filter....

all it takes to screw up a IDA weber is a tiny grain of whatever...

The transition from the idle circuit to the mains occurs around 3000rpm... depending on the emulsion tube and air corrector jet

The 3 barrel webers work great and are easy to tune... just.. make sure they have a clean supply of fuel..
J P Stein
Heh....that's a good way to test your plug wires.
Pop them off the plug while looking for the daid hole. If they go to ground thru you w00t.gif , it's time for replacements laugh.gif
krk
Tim: That's a great point (and something for me to check!) -- car's been out of service for a while and I truely don't know when the filter was last changed -- something for the weekend!

JP: Yep -- the wires are all good thus far. heh. My grandaddy seemed impervious to the levels of current that would make me jump -- he could work though a set of plug wires on a tractor and tell you which was strongest/weakest/etc. Man, that was a looonnnggg time ago!

kim.
campbellcj
A small tip to avoid future electric shock fun & games...often times you can isolate a dead hole by putting your hand near each header tube. The cold(est) one is suspect.

Coincidentally I've got my big pile o' stuff here to redo my fuel lines in AN-6 braided, and add a 2nd filter (inline), pressure gauge, PMO solid fuel bars. I finally got the carbs pretty much dialed-in but the lines between tank & bulkhead are still original!

Clogged jets are no fun...and FIRE is a LOT less fun.... blink.gif
Gint
When I bought my PMO fuel rails and insulator blocks, I also bought to small Fram filters to go inline just before the carbs and installed them in addition to the primary feed line filter. I never had much trouble with idle jets afterwords.
McMark
Hehehehe, you bought FRAM filters to clean your fuel. hehehe. That's an interesting idea.

tongue.gif
Gint
QUOTE(markd@mac.com Posted on Mar 20 2004 @ 12:20 AM )
Hehehehe, you bought FRAM filters to clean your fuel. hehehe. That's an interesting idea.

Yeah, I did. I'll do it again too. I won't buy a Fram oil filter, but fuel filters are another matter.
krk
QUOTE(Gint @ Mar 19 2004, 11:10 PM)
When I bought my PMO fuel rails and insulator blocks, I also bought to small Fram filters to go inline just before the carbs and installed them in addition to the primary feed line filter. I never had much trouble with idle jets afterwords.

Interesting idea -- thx mike.

kim.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.