Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> A week with webers, small bits
krk
post Mar 19 2004, 05:19 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 22

Folks,

As some will know, I pressed my /6 into daily driver status last week, and I guess it's been about 7 days. (while the car has been on the parking pad for quite some time, I've never "gotten to know it" much since it arrived) In particular, I've not driven a carbed car as a daily driver in years.

It does't run perfectly yet (of course), but I have a short story from yesterday. The day before yesterday, it started running crappy -- the 5 cylinder wonkle -- I had picked up gas that day -- hmm... -- anyway, here's the interesting bit. Having discected my webers a couple of times, I understand in principle how they work. Knowing that allowed me to get past my annoyance, and play with how the car drove. 5 cylinders at idle, but seemed ok on accel, and full throttle. Playing with spark plug wires isolated the offender, and pulling the idle jet revealed crap in the jet. Life is once again fine.

Things of interest:
a. in city traffic, you really do spend your life on the idle circuit. On my car, the transition is around 2800 or 2900 rpm. By 3K, you're well off the idles and onto the mains.
b. it really is the case that the transition can be felt. It's subtle if all cylinders are firing, but when one is out on one circuit it becomes more obvious. Once it was all working, I can still feel where the transition happens, but it is pretty subtle.

Back to your friday afternoon toils.

kim.

PS. All of this weekly driving has been with the roof off -- it's been in the trunk all week. I know you needed to know this. I needed to tell you. heh.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th May 2024 - 12:58 AM