Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gas Tank Leaking at the base of the tank where the nipples come out...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
wallys914
Last week when I installed the last of the braided fuel line and poured gas in the tank no leak, the engine also didnt fire, at some point I got the engine to fire, the tank starts leaking around the nipples from the base of the tank, no sweat I swaped tanks, 2nd tank leaks in the same place after trying to fire the engine.

WTF hissyfit.gif

Any body had this happen to them? 2 tanks? confused24.gif Is it the physics of pressure? Did I miss a ventilation hose some where?

I was going to have the nipple welded to the tank, but I want to take the car out this weekend...JB weld it?
SGB
I had difficulty getting a tight seal on the threads at the nipples. I think I used teflon plumbers tape...
type47
There are also a couple of sealing gaskets that might be the culpret.
ClayPerrine
Never had this problem.....

Are you sure your car is not pregnant?? (Leaky nipples....)

biggrin.gif lol-2.gif
davesprinkle
These fittings don't seal on the threads, so plumber's tape won't work. The fittings use sealing washers. AA sells replacements.
SirAndy
QUOTE(davesprinkle @ Dec 4 2009, 11:05 AM) *

The fittings use sealing washers

agree.gif

You need the (felt?) washers ...
shades.gif Andy
burton73
I was pulling the tank on my blue car yesterday for the V8 as I am going to a SS line. The PO has a very short line on it making it very hard to change it out. This is what they did for there 3.2 6 swap. What is the corect way to deal with the extra line

You can see it looks like it has a weep but not a full on leak. What is the correct way to deal with the extra line if going with a V8 or?

Bob

Click to view attachment
davesprinkle
QUOTE(burton73 @ Dec 4 2009, 11:47 AM) *

I was pulling the tank on my blue car yesterday for the V8 as I am going to a SS line. The PO has a very short line on it making it very hard to change it out. This is what they did for there 3.2 6 swap. What is the corect way to deal with the extra line

You can see it looks like it has a weep but not a full on leak. What is the correct way to deal with the extra line if going with a V8 or?

Bob, the fittings on the tank need sealing washers. When the washers go bad, they seep fuel just like you've observed on your tank. The sealing washers are NLA from Porsche. AA sells replacement washers, but you should be aware that only 1 of the AA washers will fit correctly. The other AA washer's dimensions allow it to move enough that it might not seat properly, in which case you'll get a leak anyway. For that washer, I cut a new sealing ring from gasket material.

Regarding the fuel line length, many people replumb with a loop of additional line so that you can get the tank out. Otherwise, you're forced to make the fuel connections while lying on your back reaching through a tiny access hole as fuel drains into your eye. Which is what I did.

And get rid of those worm drive clamps. Immediately.
736conver
You can also go to your local flaps or hardware store and ask for gasket material that can stand up to gas.

SGB
QUOTE(davesprinkle @ Dec 4 2009, 01:05 PM) *

These fittings don't seal on the threads, so plumber's tape won't work.

mad.gif And this would explain why I still have a minor weep after my tank R & R...
bandjoey
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Dec 4 2009, 12:45 PM) *

Never had this problem.....

Are you sure your car is not pregnant?? (Leaky nipples....)

biggrin.gif lol-2.gif

Yep. I was thinking of Big Nipple Rings like Janet Jackson wears and a little superglue aktion035.gif
wallys914
Thanks guys!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.