Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1969 914-4 race car?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SirAndy
Supposedly a dealer show car that has been raced in the US since 1969? idea.gif

1969 Porsche 914/14 SCCA news, pictures, and information
One of the very first 914's into the U.S. Was Jo Hoppen's demo car for dealers. Has been a race car since that first year.

IPB Image

IPB Image
SLITS
Ask to see the SCCA log book.
URY914
Very famous east coast 914. Les Henley has taken it to the SCCA Runoffs forever. I'm sure RacerChris know him well.
URY914
Click to view attachment
smg914
My guess is that the car was built in 1969 but I'd bet the farm that the VIN begins with the numbers 470
URY914
Click to view attachment
SirAndy
I'd like to get the VIN ... idea.gif
smg914
Click to view attachment
URY914

I took this at the 1986 Runoffs at Road Atlanta

Click to view attachment

bandjoey
And the asking price is??????
note that cool oil breather hose. 1" x 4 feet from home depot. blink.gif
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(URY914 @ Dec 11 2009, 07:55 PM) *

Very famous east coast 914. Les Henley has taken it to the SCCA Runoffs forever. I'm sure RacerChris know him well.

I know Les pretty well. Last time I talked with him was at Hershey in April.
He had the only FP 914 at the Runoffs this year and his car was in the intro footage on all the Speedcast Runoffs videos from this year.
He says the car was never sold to a customer and registered for the street. It has been a race car pretty much as long as it has been in the US.
He is a good driver and the car is pretty well prepared, but is somewhat outdated by current SCCA Production preparation standards. It would be a very good vintage/historic car.
The engine in the white car I prepared this year was originally built by Les. It runs well and makes an estimated 160+ hp, although I know he runs more powerful engines in his car at Nationals and Runoffs.
The green car in the photos belongs to Steve Limbert of Aircooled Racing in PA. AFAIK its a repro, not an original factory GT car.
ChrisFoley
The first pic URY posted looks like one I took at Summit Point in 2003?
His second pic is in the garage at Pocono. If it was 2004 I was a few bays away in the direction the camera is facing.
That's the year of the big storm and flooding right before the races.
MikeSpraggi
I met Les at Steve's Aircooled Racing shop in Pa. some years ago and see both Steve and Les quite frequently at track events and Hershey. When I first started this journey down 914/4 to 914/6 conversion, Les told me his engines were +$10k. The first time I saw him run at Summit Point, I then understood what $$$ gets you in a /4 .... I was impressed. Chris, it was some time after watching your videos I realized you were running a /4, I had thought it was a six. ....... so why am I doing this conversion .... hmmmmm?
Eric_Shea
AFAIK its a repro, not an original factory GT car.

That's the Meaney car. Well documented and a nice article in Excellence a few years back.
URY914
Here is the car at Daytona Rennsport Reunion III in 2007. I took some up close pics too if anyone want to see them.

Chris, is Les one of the guys in the picture?

Click to view attachment
SirAndy
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Dec 11 2009, 11:19 PM) *

He says the car was never sold to a customer and registered for the street. It has been a race car pretty much as long as it has been in the US.

Can you get the VIN and other data? That would be very interesting to know ...
idea.gif Andy
URY914
Click to view attachment
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(URY914 @ Dec 12 2009, 03:22 PM) *

Chris, is Les one of the guys in the picture?

He's the crusty old guy on the right.
McMark
Interesting that he uses those fuel pressure regulators. idea.gif
URY914
Click to view attachment
URY914
Click to view attachment
URY914
Click to view attachment
URY914
Click to view attachment
URY914
Click to view attachment
URY914
Click to view attachment
URY914
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.