Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Roadtripping the USA Here and Now!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
RJMII
Personally... I'd skip the 'Casper' part of the trip. There is better scenery if you head North 16 miles south of Green River, go up through Farson, over South Pass, over through Lander, Riverton, hang a left in Shoshoni, go through Wind River Canyon, up through THermopolis (Hot Springs State Park), through Worland (where I live), then either up through Greybul and over the Big Horn Mountains via Shell Canyon, or go through Ten Sleep and over the Big Horn Mountains via Ten Sleep canyon...

sorry for the run on sentence. =o) The scenery is better up here. the I-80 corridor is long, boring, and windy.

Edit: ...Jackson Hole... and the Tetons. MUCH better than Casper.
Jeffs9146
If you do end up in Hollywood and would like to visit a famous unique place drop me a PM and I will have passes to The Magic Castle waiting! It is a private club where famous magicians perform for eachother.

Magic Castle Dinner and a show 1-323-851-3313

We also own a Hotel next door that is clean and comfortable

Magic Hotel Hollywood 1-323-851-0800

Jeff
pillay2k
QUOTE(RJMII @ Feb 4 2010, 12:00 AM) *

Personally... I'd skip the 'Casper' part of the trip. There is better scenery if you head North 16 miles south of Green River, go up through Farson, over South Pass, over through Lander, Riverton, hang a left in Shoshoni, go through Wind River Canyon, up through THermopolis (Hot Springs State Park), through Worland (where I live), then either up through Greybul and over the Big Horn Mountains via Shell Canyon, or go through Ten Sleep and over the Big Horn Mountains via Ten Sleep canyon...

sorry for the run on sentence. =o) The scenery is better up here. the I-80 corridor is long, boring, and windy.

Edit: ...Jackson Hole... and the Tetons. MUCH better than Casper.

w00t.gif Thats what i'm talking about! Great local knowledge and added to the route...

I have also just realised that my playing yesterday did result in Rock Springs getting removed from the route and th Tetons being added... bit more tweaking and i think we can cover your suggestions!
Many thanks.

New WIP google map route through there... many more like this to play with. Time to update my Becker SatNav with US maps then!

to:las vegas to:park city, ut to:moose to:shoshoni to:greybull to:sheridan, wy to:Mount Rushmore, Portland, OR
RJMII
QUOTE(pillay2k @ Feb 4 2010, 11:25 AM) *

to:las vegas to:park city, ut to:moose to:shoshoni to:greybull to:sheridan, wy to:Mount Rushmore, Portland, OR

Yeah, that will net you a bunch of nice scenery; and you'll get to see George, Tom, Teddy and Abe. =o)
flipb
Since you're planning to hit DC on 4/15, you can pick up everyone's tax returns along the way and drop them off when you get here. smile.gif
pillay2k
QUOTE(flipb @ Feb 4 2010, 07:51 PM) *

Since you're planning to hit DC on 4/15, you can pick up everyone's tax returns along the way and drop them off when you get here. smile.gif

lol, don't think there will be room in the car... i'm planning on packing it with '14 parts as we go... (don't tell Nick, he thinks a big car is good for golf clubs...) happy11.gif
Gint
Yo Fab! You can both crash at my place when in your in Denver. PM me and let me know if you want to take me up on the offer. We'd love to meet up with you guys regardless. give you some of the local trivia etc... Cheers!
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Feb 3 2010, 05:03 PM) *

Dude, you are gonna be 1.5 hrs away from the Hershey swap meet and Porsche show on April 24-25. We have an event that happens at the same time called the Mid Engine Invasion. Last year we had like 30 914s parade in together. There were even more there that were not yet associated with us.

You should consider it being so close. You can crash at my place smile.gif

I am hoping to time the delivery of my car to ScottyB with the Hershey weekend. Birthday is the 27th so I thought I'd treat myself. Would be nice to visit it even if I am going to be in my truck.
Cap'n Krusty
Lunch with The Cap'n and The Lovely Lyn in Santa Maria, 3+ hours north of LA on your way to San Francisco ....................... Santa Maria style Tri Tip sandwiches at a local place, or something else if you're afraid you won't want to leave .............

The Cap'n
shoguneagle
I live in Flagstaff and will meet with you. Keep this web site and keep us informed on your travels; Grand Canyon is about 75 miles away (South Rim).

If you are having traveling problems, I can be an emergency connection point, and Move Quik can be coordinated with your traveling. Somewhere the 914World Club has a list of members throughout the U.S. that have offerred to provide connection points. Maybe we can get this information and provide it to our "international guests.

Looks like a very interesting trip and have fun. Looking forward to your travel progress.

Steve N Sandy Hurt
Madswede
QUOTE(patssle @ Feb 3 2010, 04:28 PM) *

7 days between Alb, NM and Houston? You will be very dissapointed, it's an ugly part of the country. I would drive straight from Alb to New Orleans only stopping to sleep. You're missing the national parks of Utah and the majority of Colorado - a major loss.

I was almost going to be offended there until I realized you said "between Albuquerque and Houston". I can't really argue with that. I agree that once one gets through the the pass through the Sandia Mtns going east from ABQ, it's very flat and boring. It's like that pretty much all the way into Dallas and then Houston, though at least there you start seeing some trees.

In my opinion, Dallas is a fun town, if you're into cities. Didn't enjoy Houston myself, but that's because I was there as a Chemical Engineering student on assignment, and I really spent all my time in Longview (not far from Houston) at a smelly refinery in the summer with a weak A/C unit. Whew. That tainted my opinion of that area in the negative - plus, I didn't get to see the Space Museum, which was my mistake.

Anyhoo, I gotta agree about Colorado and parts of Utah. It's just a hard fact that there are many beautiful, unspoiled (by humans that is) places out in the southern Rockies and the southwest, but by the same token they are isolated and hard to get to. Can't have one without the other, I guess. It just means that one can wander this area for years and just scratch the surface a bit.

Good luck in your journey!

- Nelson
Madswede
Hmm. I should have said "not far from Dallas" back there, not Houston. Longview is like 5 hrs away from Houston, I think.
pillay2k
QUOTE(Madswede @ Feb 26 2010, 09:01 PM) *

Hmm. I should have said "not far from Dallas" back there, not Houston. Longview is like 5 hrs away from Houston, I think.

Thanks for the info and input... not long now. Flying out week Tuesday!

p.s. like you're avatar Pheonix Red is the best colour agree.gif (man i need to get on and finish my car!)

IPB Image
Eric_Shea
Fab...

Where are you guys? I'll be "batch'n" it when you're scheduled to hit SLC. Are you still on that schedule?

Don't stay in Beaver... let's talk.
pillay2k
Hi all, sorry we've been a bit hectic in LA. Will update as soon as we get to San Fran this evening with any luck!

Saw my first 914 yesterday, was quite exciting...

Catch you all later guys!!!
pillay2k
Hello all!

We made it to San Francisco... bet you cant wait to see our $1500 motor... well here it is..
IPB Image
Drove like a champ all the way up Highway 1 and we had a great time hustling it though the curves... We had a flat in LA on Sat which meant we couldn't get away until about luchtime on Sunday... (sorry to those who we were hoping to meet in San Fran Sunday morning) we finally made it after 10hrs with quite a few stops for photos and the sunset.(me on right, Nick on left)
IPB Image
we are off to South Lake Tahoe tomorrow during the day sometime and will be then heading on through to Vegas the folllowing morning...

Phone number is 424-212-1686, need to get some more credit tomorrow but will be reachable. So many ppl i need to reply to... Better phone home too i guess!

pillay2k
Poor hostel internet EDIT....
Eric_Shea
Still planning on coming through Salt Lake City?
hydroliftin
QUOTE(pillay2k @ Mar 15 2010, 07:49 PM) *

Hello all!

We made it to San Francisco... bet you cant wait to see our $1500 motor... well here it is... We had a flat in LA on Sat which meant we couldn't get away until about luchtime on Sunday... (sorry to those who we were hoping to meet in San Fran Sunday morning)

Only one of the four guys drove up in a 914. Breakfast at Alice's Restaurant was fun and I think you would have enjoyed it. It looks like you got a good dose of California dream roads, however, driving up Highway 1 near Big Sur. The drive to Tahoe should be nice too. If you have more time next trip we can show you some of the "secret" back roads.
anderssj
Hello from the east (least?) coast!

When are you planning to make the leg from Charlotte NC to Washington DC? Will you be traveling I-85 to I-95? I'm about 80-90 miles east of Richmond VA (others here are in the Richmond area). If you come through VA on a weekend, maybe I could drive out Richmond way.

Charlotte to DC is probably about 8 hrs, give or take for traffic. Are you staying in the DC area? Hopefully you'll have time to take in a few sites . . . .

Please keep us posted as to your plans and where-abouts.

Best,

Steve A-
pillay2k
Hiya,

We made it to South Lake Tahoe! Moving on to Vegas tomorrow maybe stopping in Yosemite for one night if the drive is tough going.
What a great drive today, car ran nice and the roads were really nice. We took the 50 as it was the most direct route from SF. only one minor problem so far, car is slowly losing power steering fluid but we check it every stop and along with oil and water! Getting pretty good gas mileage too which is nice. A little duct tape has also been added to the interior to add some structural integrity rolleyes.gif

Pictures to come soon...

QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Mar 16 2010, 05:31 PM) *

Still planning on coming through Salt Lake City?

This is still the plan (attached Below), we are staying with a friend in Park City but nothing booked either side as we are tending to find hostels and motels as we go along... biggrin.gif

Hello from the east (least?) coast!

When are you planning to make the leg from Charlotte NC to Washington DC? Will you be traveling I-85 to I-95? I'm about 80-90 miles east of Richmond VA (others here are in the Richmond area). If you come through VA on a weekend, maybe I could drive out Richmond way.

All the places listed are places we are hoping to spend the night on that day, we are pretty flexible around the cities as we are making up the route as we go! Detours are welcome additions!
Click to view attachment

pillay2k
We are still ticking along, had a very long day at the Grand Canyon yesterday and we are now taking stock for the night in Cedar City!
Did a great drive today up to 10000ft! The Merc is still going like a champion and to make it even better i used a couple of spare hrs this afternoon to fix one of the electric windows and both electric seats! Our car is now even better than when we got it!
We have has such an amazing time so far. We are heading up the 15 tomorrow to Salt Lake and then staying with friends in Park City for a few days.
IPB Image
IPB Image
Eric_Shea
I can put you guys to work building 914-6/GT calipers this week! LOL

Looks like a great time!
lotus_65
great thread guys -

popcorn[1].gif
Ferg
COOL!

Lunch in Boulder next week?

Ferg
Gint
QUOTE(Ferg @ Mar 25 2010, 07:49 AM) *
COOL!

Lunch in Boulder next week?

Ferg
Dinner would be much better. I start my new job Monday.
rallysport70
Gents,

Just found this post, this is awesome. I wish you the best in your travels here in the states. If my car was running, I'd try to meet up w/you around NY. Enjoy and be safe!

beerchug.gif

rick 918-S
COOL! How's your cell phone minutes? Can we call you?
pillay2k
HI all,

Cell number is 424-212-1686 topped up today so call away.
We are heading up Rapid City way on Sat, stopping about halfway before finishing the trip up to Mount Rushmore.
Went down to the Bonnie Salt flats today... lots of water on the speedway! No pics yet as i'm doing photos old school with a film slr... couldnt afford a digital. Also got lost on a 130mile detour... whoops but what the hell, it's all an experience!
We are still on schedule with the plans as long as there arent too many snow storms!
Calling all CO folk see you soon! Dinner/lunch sounds good if its roughly on our route smile.gif
IPB Image IPB Image
Kirmizi
Where are ye, lads?
Gonna be a bit breezy on your travels through Wyoming today and tomorrow, but at least it's not snowing.
What's the dinner plans for Denver?
Mike
rick 918-S
Just left the guys a voice mail message. Cool trip guys!
A&PGirl
Going through Oklahoma, you'll want to drive up Mt. Scott during daylight.

Mt. Scott, OK

If you want to see small town Oklahoma, you can drive over to Mangum, OK from Mt. Scott or go to Mangum first then Mt. Scott.

Mangum, OK

There is not much in the way of gas stations in these parts, so you want to keep an eye on your gauge.

I STRONGLY recommend you stop and eat at the Ranchman's Cafe in Ponder, TX. All sorts of famous people have eaten their several times. The food is utterly delicious. chowtime.gif chowtime.gif chowtime.gif chowtime.gif

Ponder, TX

Address is: 110 W Bailey
PO Box 117
Ponder, Texas 76259
SharonG
Did we miss the Colorado leg of your trip? sad.gif
pillay2k
Sorry for the patchy updates... we have been blasting along to beat the weather... and get more time at the beach!
We are now in New Orleans but off to Panama City Beach, FL in the morning.
We had a great time in Denver, we stayed at the Ramada and spent an interesting evening at the English pub down the road from the hotel...
We also stopped in Oklahoma City and Santa Fe in a slight change to our route.
We have also had a couple of minor problems along the way... Easter Sunday we managed to pull in for a quick lunch beak to find the main fuel line spraying fuel onto the intake at 3bar... we needed a change of pants realising what could have happened if the fuel had gone straight onto the exhaust instead... Anyways being easter sunday we struggled to find some injection hose so i managed to bridge the leak for the 90 mile jaunt to Houston and we got a new piece of hose the next day ($2 fix!)
nick then left the headlights on while we spent the day exploring the space centre... and yes battery took a beating but looks to be fine again now... rolleyes.gif Its all fun and Heidi is still motoring like a champ. She also loves Shell Optimax at 93 RON being the Euro sec which should run on 98RON!! Goes like a train now we have got some good miles under her belt and are running back at sea level. driving.gif Power steering is still leaking like a good'n and we managed to break the bonnet release so a pair of pliers come in hands at every gas station... other than that with the seats and windows working properly she is almost better than when we got her... definatly more comfortable and thank god for amazing air-con!!
Lots of photos going onto my photobucket account (search people: pillay2k)
i will add some here soon as possible which will hopefully be in some kind of order! Internet is a bit slow at the moment.
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
76-914
QUOTE(A&PGirl @ Mar 29 2010, 05:16 PM) *

Going through Oklahoma, you'll want to drive up Mt. Scott during daylight.

Mt. Scott, OK

If you want to see small town Oklahoma, you can drive over to Mangum, OK from Mt. Scott or go to Mangum first then Mt. Scott.

Mangum, OK

There is not much in the way of gas stations in these parts, so you want to keep an eye on your gauge.

I STRONGLY recommend you stop and eat at the Ranchman's Cafe in Ponder, TX. All sorts of famous people have eaten their several times. The food is utterly delicious. chowtime.gif chowtime.gif chowtime.gif chowtime.gif

Ponder, TX

Address is: 110 W Bailey
PO Box 117
Ponder, Texas 76259

poke.gif Oddly enough, a great number of their patrons are coming from the small community of Stoney, about 10 km NW! laugh.gif av-943.gif lol-2.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.